Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Why is westcoast pizza so bad?

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 95 of 95
marzsit

• Total Posts: 343
RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? Mon, 03/5/07 11:22 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
According to the guys at Little Italy (see above response) here in Athens, Georgia, the major criterion for making good pizza is not the availability of ingredients nor the skills involved (although these both are factors)... it's the water for making the crust.
New Haven water, like New York City water, Philadelphia water, Washington, D. C. water, Atlanta water, and surely like Athens water, is from a soft, granitic source. Limestone water might be usable for pizza dough, but the hands that worked that dough would have to get used to changing some methods to be successful... if knead be.
Athens water comes in at 35 parts of dissolved solids per million; Atlanta is 48. The softest I've ever found from a municipal source is Gainesville, Georgia with 8.3... gad, you'd have to ADD salts to that to brew a righteous Pilsener! If water hardness alone related to pizza dough hardness, Gainesville dough would resemble nothing closer than phyllo dough! Not to be phyllosophical, but somehow I don't think those two wonderful old fellows in San Francisco who fashion the stuff by hand would ever think of making pizza from their creation!
When I ate pizza on my trip to Torrington, Connecticut, I noted the dough similarity to that of Little Italy and guesswork did the rest. Folks, I may be wrong, but I really think it's the water.
Neither Sliced Nor Cutted Tonight, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Crunchy Athens, Georgia.

this is why i don't buy the claim that good pizza crust doesn't exist in seattle, since our water comes from the cascade mountains which is primarily granite and basalt with little or no limestone present. this also explains why we have some of the best microbrew
in the country.

however, we do lack decent mozzarella and pepperoni, essential pizza ingredients imho...

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? Mon, 03/5/07 11:35 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by marzsit

quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
    According to the guys at Little Italy (see above response) here in Athens, Georgia, the major criterion for making good pizza is not the availability of ingredients nor the skills involved (although these both are factors)... it's the water for making the crust.
    New Haven water, like New York City water, Philadelphia water, Washington, D. C. water, Atlanta water, and surely like Athens water, is from a soft, granitic source. Limestone water might be usable for pizza dough, but the hands that worked that dough would have to get used to changing some methods to be successful... if knead be.
    Athens water comes in at 35 parts of dissolved solids per million; Atlanta is 48. The softest I've ever found from a municipal source is Gainesville, Georgia with 8.3... gad, you'd have to ADD salts to that to brew a righteous Pilsener! If water hardness alone related to pizza dough hardness, Gainesville dough would resemble nothing closer than phyllo dough! Not to be phyllosophical, but somehow I don't think those two wonderful old fellows in San Francisco who fashion the stuff by hand would ever think of making pizza from their creation!
    When I ate pizza on my trip to Torrington, Connecticut, I noted the dough similarity to that of Little Italy and guesswork did the rest. Folks, I may be wrong, but I really think it's the water.
    Neither Sliced Nor Cutted Tonight, Ort. Carlton in Lovely, Crunchy Athens, Georgia.

this is why i don't buy the claim that good pizza crust doesn't exist in seattle, since our water comes from the cascade mountains which is primarily granite and basalt with little or no limestone present. this also explains why we have some of the best microbrew
    in the country.

however, we do lack decent mozzarella and pepperoni, essential pizza ingredients imho...

Please don't get me started on Seattle Pizza again!

tamandmik

• Total Posts: 949
      RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? Tue, 03/6/07 9:35 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Pizza Port in Solona Beach makes a good effort on their pizza, and an exceptional effort on their pub brews, especially if you like Belgian-style beers.

I was also in Pizza Port, and was way more smitten with their beer selection. To me, it's the most elaborate beer selection of any pizzeria I've ever been to. It's the only time I can ever recall having a Hoegarden with a slice of pie! The pizza is good, but not quite as good as Bongiorno's.

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
        RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? Tue, 03/6/07 9:53 AM (permalink)
        I had a friend who said it came down to one cultural distinction. California is cocaine and chardonnay, and doesn't go well with pizza. The East Coast is marijuana and beer, and what goes better with pizza?

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
          RE: Why is westcoast pizza so bad? Wed, 03/7/07 1:28 AM (permalink)
          These ill-informed stereotypes and generalizations are really lending great insight into the "problem" with California pizza. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to bong hits, my pale ale, and my thin crust cheese pie from the guy down the street.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 95 of 95

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com