The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Atlanta,Ga.

mrjimi

• Total Posts: 8
Atlanta,Ga. Tue, 09/16/03 6:23 PM (permalink)
I,ll be down in Atlanta this weekend and would like the lowdown on good eats...Thanks

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Atlanta,Ga. Tue, 09/16/03 8:20 PM (permalink)
    Mrjimi,
    You open up a laaarge can of good, tasty worms! There is a separate post here about breakfast in Atlanta, which you can link to by surfing through my old non-archived posts. Here are a few places for you to pursue, redundant to that post or not.
    Short order place: Lakewood Diner in Southwest Atlanta, just off Metropolitan Parkway. The neighborhood's pretty seedy, but the Lakewood's not. Decent food at reasonable prices. Not fancy.
    Another: Majestic Food Shop on Ponce de Leon Avenue, N/E. Food that pleases since 1929. Open 24 hours. Real characters hang out there, especially at night.
    Catfish: The Rio Vista on Moreland Avenue in Conley, about 6 miles southeast of the city and out in the middle of the truck terminals. A real survivor. Their homemade house salad dressing is some of the sweeeeetest in the universe.
    Meat-And-Three - Bobby & June's Country Kitchen on 14th. Street, N/W at the corner of Mecaslin Street, above Georgia Tech. Decent Brunswick stew; great atmosphere.
    Another: The Silver Skillet on 14th. Street, N/W just west of the expressway. Good home cooking.
    Yet Another: The Silver Grill on Monroe Drive, N/E, just north of Ponce de Leon. Great fried chicken.
    A Little Dressier: Paschal's on Northside Drive, not far from downtown. Supposedly the best soulfood emporium in the city.
    Bar-B-Q: The best I've found so far is Spiced Right Bar-B-Que on U. S. 29 in Lilburn, about 15 miles from downtown: katywampus from the Goodwill store. Worth the drive, if you have wheels.
    Almost As Good: Harold's Bar-B-Q on McDonough Blvd., S/E, close to the Federal Penitentiary. An institution. You have to try Mama Hembree's cracklin' corn bread.
    Almost As Good: The Bar-B-Q Kitchen on Virginia Avenue in Hapeville, close to Heartsfield Int'l. Airport.
    Great Neighborhood Tavern: Euclid Avenue Yacht Club on Euclid Avenue, N/E in Little Five Points. Great selection of Atlanta microbrews and fine food. A real treasure. You shouldn't miss it.
    Good Brewpub: Five Seasons on Roswell Road, just inside I-285, north of Buckhead. Consistently the best beer in Atlanta, unless you don't like hops.
    Second-Best Brewpub By A Hair: Max Lager's, just north of downtown on Peachtree Street, N/E. Brews often less noticeably hoppy, but well-crafted nonetheless.
    If I think of more, I'll post something else subsequently. Expect an avalanche of responses.
    Only 67 Miles Eastwardly, Ort. Carlton in Refuses-To-Be-Suburban Athens, Georgia.

rhpenland

• Total Posts: 73
      RE: Atlanta,Ga. Tue, 09/16/03 10:52 PM (permalink)
      Ort had some good suggestions - I live in Athens, Georgia as well by strange coincedence (just an hour's drive or so from Atlanta). I've always been partial to good junkfood, and I'm sure you've heard of the Varsity. Its a pretty cool place to eat (worth a visit if youve never been there), and the food is unique and tasty (though greasy, but hey what good junk food isnt?). HOWEVER, my favorite junkfood is at a place called Zesto's. Zesto's serves great footlong hotdogs - that would be my recommendation - as well as a dang tasty hamburger. Milk shakes are A one quality, and its not very expensive. Its located on Ponce DeLeon Ave towards downtown, and is a shiny metallic looking structure. Its been around a long time, but they remodled the outside so it looks pretty new.

I second Ort's recommendation of Harold's BBQ - good food, can be a little scary at night though if you dont know where youre going :)

Ort, ya stole the rest of my thunder . I'll rack my brain and post again if I can recall anymore places to visit.

Rob

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
        RE: Atlanta,Ga. Tue, 09/16/03 11:29 PM (permalink)
        rhpenland,
        Thanks piles and gobs for your input. There are several Zesto's locations around the city and 'burbs... the one on Ponce de Leon is one of the older ones, but there's also one in Little Five Points and five or six more scattered about. The previous Zesto's in East Point is now Big Nick's Place and the one in Lakewood Heights on Jonesboro Road is now Big Jack's Place (or something like that). I've heard good things about the one in East Point, but have yet to get there.
        Neither of us thought of the Dunk 'N' Dine on Cheshire Bridge Road, nor The Colonnade out Cheshire Bridge as well. The Dunk 'N' Dine is just south of LaVista Road; the Colonnade is not far off Piedmont... at the other (southwestish) end of the road.
        The Dunk 'N' Dine is a quintessential breakfast-at-all-hours place, and they also have plenty of other menu items. Beats the chains anytime. You might could write a novel in there, one page at a time.
        The Colonnade is a real old-time meat-and-three, the clientele of which is primarily senior citizens and neighborhood newcomers ("greys and gays", as more than one person has kidded). It's one of Atlanta's better eateries, with especially good fried chicken.
        Speaking of chicken, I hear that Son's Place on Decatur Street serves up some mighty good fried chicken at lunchtime. The place is also open for breakfast. This is right around the corner from where the former (and lamented) Deacon Burton's used to be located. Son is his stepson.
        Now, to Athens... have you been to The Normaltown Cafe' since they've moved out to Tallassee Road? I was there earlier tonight; had shepherd's pie, green bean casserole, red cabbage, salad, and a corn muffin. Utterly spectacular! My favorite day is Thursday, because that's pot roast day, served with pot roast vegetables and homemade creamed corn... to die for! The squash casserole on Fridays is also stellar. Lots of other good things, too.
        Have you ever been to Gateway Cafe on North Avenue? They have chicken mull on Thursdays; that's well worth trying if you like chicken. Also they have beef stew on Tuesdays.
        Plantation Buffet on M. L. K. right where it becomes Commerce Road has some good lunch fixin's, plus a mighty fine buffet breakfast. My favorite day there is Tuesday, for barbecued pork and goat. A nice, tart vinegar sauce would improve it, though!
        We're gonna make poor mrjimi's head spin with all these Georgia locales. Maybe we oughta invite Jane and Michael to come on down while they're over in South Carolina to see for themselves that we're eating pretty good in these parts.
        Neighborly Submitted, Ort. Carlton, just past the Winn-Dixie out Jefferson Road and turn off and back in the woods a ways.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
          RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 10:17 AM (permalink)
          Ort, FYI, Paschals closed, the Morris Brown U. crowd couldn't keep it open. Also, Dunk n' Swine is really getting bad, surprised the health board let's them survive. The Dunk n' Swine on Roswell Rd, is something else now. There are some better BBQ places now, IMHO Harolds is still OK for lunch, but even he closed his other ventures in Marietta and out west of town. Dreamland in Roswell, Old South In Smyrna and Williamson Bros., in Marietta and Canton are still great. And you can't beat the Varsity. A million other places, too many to mention here, MRJIMI needs to tell us what he's hungry for.

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
            RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 10:38 AM (permalink)
            Guys, I lived in Marietta about 20 years ago for a short time & enjoyed Sydney's Just South (south of Brooklyn, I think). Is it still there by any chance? It was just north of Buckhead.

Oneiron339

RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 11:07 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by NancyPeter

Guys, I lived in Marietta about 20 years ago for a short time & enjoyed Sydney's Just South (south of Brooklyn, I think). Is it still there by any chance? It was just north of Buckhead.

Sydney's is "Gone With the Wind." It's now a hair salon.

NancyPeter

• Total Posts: 233
                RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 11:21 AM (permalink)
                Frankly, Scarlett, I'm upset about that

Ashley Wilkes

• Total Posts: 80
                  RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 12:46 PM (permalink)
                  One caveat regarding the Varsity: There is a Georgia Tech-Clemson football game on Saturday evening a block away. The Varsity will be a madhouse at suppertime until the game starts at 7 pm.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
                    RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 1:11 PM (permalink)
                    Not a Roadfood place, but I always enjoyed "Pittypats Porch" across from the Peachtree Plaza hotel. (I assume it is still there, although I haven't been in Atlanta for several years). Pittypats had some very interesting "old south" cuisine, and an outrageous salad/food bar. And sitting in a rocking chair sipping a mint julep while waiting for a table was pretty nice too. OR, if the wait is going to be long enough, going across the street and taking the elevator to the revolving bar on the top floor of the hotel makes for a relaxing time.

Oneiron339

RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 1:15 PM (permalink)
                      Then they should just go to the Varsity in Athens since the DAWGS are in Red Stick for a game. Or perhaps, Chops, or Bones or Panos and Pauls, or Canoe, or the Capitol Grill, or 151, or Killer Creek, or Aspens, or. . . . come to my place, we're having a party.

rhpenland

• Total Posts: 73
                        RE: Atlanta,Ga. Wed, 09/17/03 10:45 PM (permalink)
                        Ort,

I am definately going to have to check the Normaltown cafe out. Yours is the third positive review of that place. Looks like the wife, my kid & me are going out to eat soon

Rob

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                          RE: Atlanta,Ga. Thu, 09/18/03 4:37 AM (permalink)
                          I join those endorsing Harold's as a most worthy Atlanta barbeque destination. It's a bbq institution I have long wished to visit, and last June, I finally incorporated a side-trip to Harold's while traveling in Georgia. On the weekday I visited, both rooms were jammed full for lunch. I tried the important things--the que and the Brunswick stew for which Harold's is famous. The stew came with cracklin' cornbread, and made a full meal. It was outstanding, and has to be the meatiest stew--of any kind--I ever ate. It was actually a challenge to find the vegetables in it.

After my meal, I shared with the owner, some articles I'd collected about his establishment. In one, a reviewer mentioned potatoes as one of the ingredients in the Brunswick Stew, an observation that caused Mr. Hembree to laugh, because, he said, Harold's never uses potatoes in their stew.

The barbeque pork sandwich was also excellent. The pork was tender, lean and moist and had a nice smoke flavor (the que is hickory smoked in a closed pit). And the two red sauces (mild and hot) were nicely spicy and complimented the meat beautifully. The sandwich was made with slices of light bread lightly browned on a grill over hot coals.

No fewer than three people at Harold's cautioned me about driving through south Atlanta on my way downtown.

Dining at Harold's was fun. The waitresses make one feel welcome and comfortable and the patrons are friendly. I look forward to return visits and their all-you-can-eat buffet from 4:30 to closing.

Harold's is closed Sundays. Their phone number is: 404-627-9268

Carlye

• Total Posts: 1
                            RE: Atlanta,Ga. Thu, 09/18/03 8:32 AM (permalink)
                            Hey, if you're craving sweets after scarfing down footlongs at Zesto's, head up Ponce de Leon toward town, and get a dozen HOT Krispy Kreme doughnuts! (or if you ate at the Varsity, head down Ponce away from town - it'll be on your right). RH's mom.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com