Corn in general

Author
salindgren
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 275
2008/01/06 00:17:49 (permalink)

Corn in general

NYNM has something going about Bay Corn, I don't understand what's up there. Could be that weird freaky stuff in Asian food, the midget ears in a can.
But I wanted to talk a little about corn. I just had a couple ears of pretty good corn, which is always available at Latino markets here in LA, and usually for very little. I see it even at the big supermarkets in the summer for 10 cents/ear. I just paid 99 cents for 3 ears.
I usually just use butter, salt, and pepper for corn on the cob, but I thought tonight I'd try sprinkling a little chile powder on there, but I did not like it, it seemed acrid, and killed any sweetness of the corn or the butter. So I wonder if anybody has any bright ideas about flavorings for C on the C. Of course, I'd like any interesting ideas about corn off the cob, too. I don't think it's hard to cut the cooked kernals off, and while I'm not crazy about bell peppers, I love roasted serranos, which are almost free here, and I'm trying to think of some other items which might work well with fresh cut corn. Some type of onion? A little garlic? Or shallots? Hmmm...
When I was a kid, in CT, my Dad grew both white shoe peg type ears, probably the best, sweetest, I've ever seen, and he grew popcorn, too. We ended up with a huge harvest of that, lasted for 2 or 3 years. That was fun. Hard to get those kernels off the cob, though.
Later, in IL, in the summer, we bought fresh ears and cooked them within hours of picking. Also really splendid. I'm sure lots of you have similar tales... Give me some ideas about corn as side dish.
-Scott Lindgren scottlindgren@netzero.net

26 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1