The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Easy (kind of) pulled pork

easy1

• Total Posts: 45
Easy (kind of) pulled pork Mon, 01/7/08 11:41 AM (permalink)
Just want to share my latest experiment that was a total success!

I live on Cape Cod, and good BBQ houses are few and far between, I own a small smoker and have had good results over the years doing my own thing. My problem is having good home-made Que, in the winter months. It's too cold and snowy to tend a smoker all day just to get some ribs or pulled pork for dinner.

Here's what I did:

>Started as usual, 4-6 lb pork butt, bone-in, dry rubbed and let it sit over night refrigerated.
>Lit my gas-grill, set on low, and put the butt on the coolest part of the grill.
>I then placed some large (soaked) chunks of hickory directly on the metal baffles that cover the flame nozzles
>They started to smoke, and I let the butt smoke for about an hour, I kept an eye on it and sprayed the hickory with water to keep them from flaming up. Obviously the grill is made for this, not smoking.
>After an hour, I put the butt into a 250 oven and slow-roasted it for about 6-7 hours. Occasionally basting with a solution of red wine vinagar, red pepper flakes, water & BBQ sauce to keep it moist. The smoky smell in the closed house was unbelievable, my kids kept begging for it to be done!

I took it out, covered in foil, and let it rest for about an hour. At six o'clock, I pulled it off the bone (just like butter), and added some home-made BBQ sauce, it was awesome. Not "super-smoky" but smoky enough to taste, and still nice and porky. Plus, I didn't have to fuss all day with a smoker, as it was 20 degrees outside. Sorry no pictures, but I'm doing it again for the Patriots game on Saturday, I'll send in some photos, go Pats!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com