The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Lums

thediningroom

• Total Posts: 84
Lums Wed, 01/9/08 1:16 AM (permalink)
I don't know if Hamburgers is the correct forum to list this on, but does anyone remember this restaurant chain? The reason I placed this order under Hamburgers is cause they had a unique burger called "Ollie Burger" they had full menu also beer & wine.

-THE DINING ROOM

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Lums Wed, 01/9/08 3:42 AM (permalink)
    Use search and you'll find quite a bit about Lum's ... They were primarily appreciated for their dogs simmered in beer.

Now that you mention it, I do recall their burgers too.

Word is there is only one unit left, somewhere in Florida.

The chain was, as I recall, pretty large (there were two within 20 minutes of my rural Connecticut home in the seventies and maybe even the early eighties.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
      RE: Lums Wed, 01/9/08 4:11 PM (permalink)
      The one left in Florida (perhaps the last one on the planet) is located in Davie, FL near Ft Lauderdale. It is south of I-595 and can be accessed by taking University Blvd south off 595 I believe. Or you can MapQuest it if you want more specific directions.
      Several RF-ers have previously reviewed it and also posted pictures. QFan hasn't made it there yet, but it's definitely on my list.

QFan
      Bonita Springs, FL

MiamiDon

RE: Lums Wed, 01/9/08 7:15 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by QFan

The one left in Florida (perhaps the last one on the planet) is located in Davie, FL near Ft Lauderdale. It is south of I-595 and can be accessed by taking University Blvd south off 595 I believe. Or you can MapQuest it if you want more specific directions.
        Several RF-ers have previously reviewed it and also posted pictures. QFan hasn't made it there yet, but it's definitely on my list.

QFan
        Bonita Springs, FL

I am going to have to make a pilgrimage to the last Lum's soon, before it disappears.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Lums Thu, 01/10/08 10:43 AM (permalink)
          I have to wonder how the last remaining of what was once a large chain can keep the original concept going. For example, I'm sure the dogs were made especially for the chain in it's day -- do they still have the same dogs?

I wonder if there are any old Lum's menus around to compare.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4125&RefID=4195 ... Lum's write up. (Might be an archive.)

kiranirise

• Total Posts: 1
            RE: Lums Wed, 06/16/10 5:28 PM (permalink)
            I have fond memories of my last good restaurant meal in Florida at the Lum's in Davie in April 1976.  It was a celebration lunch because my dad had won custody of me and I would be moving to Dayton, OH as soon as school got out for the summer.  My dad had a lot of memories of the Davie Lum's from when he lived there back in the early 60's and wanted me to try the food before I left Florida for possibly the last time.

When I got to Ohio, I didn't know that there was a Lum's outside of Dayton in Fairborn til 3 years later where my first boyfriend took me for our first date.  The one here in Fairborn, OH has been gone for 30 years and you wouldn't be able to find where it was located on Broad Street with all the changes that have taken place.

I'd love to have a Lum's dog right now.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
              RE: Lums Thu, 06/17/10 4:10 AM (permalink)
                I found a guy here on Roadfood that sells the "Original Ollie Burger" spice mix. I got some from him and I make Lum's Burgers at home. If you want his address, please send me a P.M.

David O.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                Re:Lums Thu, 06/17/10 7:28 PM (permalink)
                thediningroom

I don't know if Hamburgers is the correct forum to list this on, but does anyone remember this restaurant chain? The reason I placed this order under Hamburgers is cause they had a unique burger called "Ollie Burger" they had full menu also beer & wine.

-THE DINING ROOM

Have fun reading:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/search.aspx?searchid=128038&high=Long%20Gone%20Regional%20Chains&forumid=27

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com