The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 Two Old S.F. Institutions Close

Author Message
cecif

  • Total Posts: 1412
  • Joined: 4/1/2007
  • Location: Was MA, now UK
Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Wed, 01/9/08 10:07 PM (permalink)
So so sad...
Trader Vic's and the Washbag:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/09/FDLVU7FNB.DTL

Sad enough Stars went, and Trader Vic's from it's amazing original location, heavy heavy sighs...
 
#1
    mr chips

    • Total Posts: 4715
    • Joined: 2/19/2003
    • Location: portland, OR
    RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Thu, 01/10/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
    Sorry to hear this.
     
    #2
      Foodbme

      • Total Posts: 9565
      • Joined: 9/1/2006
      • Location: Gilbert, AZ
      RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 2:56 AM (permalink)
      They just opened a Trader Vic's in Scottsdale AZ
       
      #3
        BT

        • Total Posts: 3589
        • Joined: 7/3/2004
        • Location: San Francisco, CA
        RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 11:46 AM (permalink)
        Don't be sorry, Chips. There's always a reason. In the case of The WSB&G, it closed because new owners who thought they had a better idea ruined it.

        Stars went years ago because Jeremiah Tower got stale (in several ways) and fled to Manila (I think it was). Trader Vics was a stale concept (for SF anyway) from the beginning and the response from most people when it opened was, "Give me a break! So 50's!". But now it had another reason (aside from weak patronage from mostly business diners) to close--in a couple of months they will be demolishing the derelict state office building next door and starting construction of a new (very green) city office building--who wants to dine next to a construction site?

        If you want the Trader Vic's experience, I think the Tonga Room (best know not for its food--like Trader Vics--but for it's artificial downpours) at the Fairmont may still be there (but probably not for long).
         
        #4
          cecif

          • Total Posts: 1412
          • Joined: 4/1/2007
          • Location: Was MA, now UK
          RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 5:47 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by BT

          Trader Vics was a stale concept (for SF anyway) from the beginning and the response from most people when it opened was, "Give me a break! So 50's!".
          ...
          If you want the Trader Vic's experience, I think the Tonga Room (best know not for its food--like Trader Vics--but for it's artificial downpours) at the Fairmont may still be there (but probably not for long).

          "Stale from the beginning"?!?!?! Are you a native, and if so when were you born?! Trader Vic's was founded in Oakland in 1934! (Under a different name, which changed...) The older T/Vics location in the City dated back to the 50s or earlier, and my parents grew up going there in the 1940s and 50s, and took me as a child in the 60s and 70s. So while it might have run out of steam, it certainly was never "stale from the beginning"!!!! By the time it moved from its original location it might have been out of fashion, but it still lasted a while.

          That said, I love the Tonga Room and doubt it's going anywhere. My parents used to go there in high school & college - it's been a fixture since at least the 50s. The building is a registered historic site and I doubt they'll lose that historic bar! But I could sadly be wrong, though I hope I won't be.
           
          #5
            Frankman

            • Total Posts: 300
            • Joined: 9/21/2002
            • Location: Beacon Falls, CT
            RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 5:56 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by cecif

            So so sad...
            Trader Vic's and the Washbag:
            http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/09/FDLVU7FNB.DTL

            Sad enough Stars went, and Trader Vic's from it's amazing original location, heavy heavy sighs...


            Was Trader Vics the place known for having either the bartender or Maitre'D that remembered everyones name after he met you?
             
            #6
              1bbqboy

              • Total Posts: 4542
              • Joined: 11/20/2000
              • Location: Rogue Valley
              RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 6:17 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by cecif

              quote:
              Originally posted by BT

              Trader Vics was a stale concept (for SF anyway) from the beginning and the response from most people when it opened was, "Give me a break! So 50's!".
              ...
              If you want the Trader Vic's experience, I think the Tonga Room (best know not for its food--like Trader Vics--but for it's artificial downpours) at the Fairmont may still be there (but probably not for long).

              "Stale from the beginning"?!?!?! Are you a native, and if so when were you born?! Trader Vic's was founded in Oakland in 1934! (Under a different name, which changed...) The older T/Vics location in the City dated back to the 50s or earlier, and my parents grew up going there in the 1940s and 50s, and took me as a child in the 60s and 70s. So while it might have run out of steam, it certainly was never "stale from the beginning"!!!! By the time it moved from its original location it might have been out of fashion, but it still lasted a while.

              That said, I love the Tonga Room and doubt it's going anywhere. My parents used to go there in high school & college - it's been a fixture since at least the 50s. The building is a registered historic site and I doubt they'll lose that historic bar! But I could sadly be wrong, though I hope I won't be.


              catfight!
               
              #7
                cecif

                • Total Posts: 1412
                • Joined: 4/1/2007
                • Location: Was MA, now UK
                RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 7:20 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by bill voss
                catfight!


                LOL! Neither one looks a thing like me...
                 
                #8
                  BT

                  • Total Posts: 3589
                  • Joined: 7/3/2004
                  • Location: San Francisco, CA
                  RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 7:38 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

                  "Stale from the beginning"?!?!?! Are you a native, and if so when were you born?! Trader Vic's was founded in Oakland in 1934! (Under a different name, which changed...) The older T/Vics location in the City dated back to the 50s or earlier, and my parents grew up going there in the 1940s and 50s, and took me as a child in the 60s and 70s.



                  I was referring to the reincarnation on Golden Gate, the subject of this thread as I understood it. If you wanted to watch Herb Caen swill martinis, I suppose the original location had its charms but they never attracted me, though I'm not surprised they attracted your parents who were probably pretty much it's target market.
                   
                  #9
                    cecif

                    • Total Posts: 1412
                    • Joined: 4/1/2007
                    • Location: Was MA, now UK
                    RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 7:56 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by BT
                    I was referring to the reincarnation on Golden Gate, the subject of this thread as I understood it. If you wanted to watch Herb Caen swill martinis, I suppose the original location had its charms but they never attracted me, though I'm not surprised they attracted your parents who were probably pretty much it's target market.

                    Although I could take this personally (as it sounds suspiciously like a disparaging remark) I'll just say this:

                    I posted the subject because Trader Vics (and Washbag) were old S.F. institutions that I, and many of my friends, enjoyed over the years. Personally I was sad when the original T/Vics closed, and I am sad the 2nd one did too. I loved the original place and have very fond memories of it. (If you don't or didn't like it, that's up to you - I don't make judgment calls on such things myself.)

                    So, as I said before, I find it sad they are gone, particularly Trader Vics. I still have a cute "menehune" drink swizzle stick from the 1980s. Great memories.
                     
                    #10
                      cecif

                      • Total Posts: 1412
                      • Joined: 4/1/2007
                      • Location: Was MA, now UK
                      RE: Two Old S.F. Institutions Close Sun, 01/13/08 7:58 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Frankman
                      Was Trader Vics the place known for having either the bartender or Maitre'D that remembered everyones name after he met you?


                      Yes.
                       
                      #11
                        Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                        Jump to:

                        Current active users

                        There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                        Icon Legend and Permission

                        • New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

                        2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com