The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your FAVORITE Lasagna

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 5:23 AM (permalink)
My Italian Grandmother made superb Italian...and over the decades I've had lots of opportunities to eat my favorite food many different ways....Some use ground beef..some suasage..some both...Ricotta and mozzarella...one or the other...beschamel sauce...etc...
In Rome I had a superb variation made with spinach noodles and peas throughout the beschamel sauce layers.
Got me to thinking...Do you have a fovorite variation to share with us......and where did you have your best Lasagna ever.
leethebard

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
    RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 6:49 AM (permalink)
    Hello All,
    My first wife made the best lasagna ever.
    She used ground beef and ...believe it or not,
    cottage cheese.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
      RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 7:27 AM (permalink)
      I prefer the ground beef with fresh mushrooms, heavy on the mozz, and some extra sauce served on the side. pb

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
        RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 8:56 AM (permalink)
        The classic way, ground beef, tomato sauce with basil and garlic,FRESH mozzerella, ricotta with eggs mixed in and LOCATELLI ROMANO cheese. Parsley in that ricotta mix. And I like to boil and drain the noodles, not the instant ones.

Big_g

RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 9:13 AM (permalink)
          A lady I worked with in Las Vegas used to gripe about the Lasagna we made, not bad but nothing to write home about, so I said I'll buy the ingredients and you make some your way. The next week she says she is working on the sauce and would I like to come to dinner on Thursday..you bet says I and I'll bring some vino. Holy Mother....this girl was only one generation from the boat...in took two days to build the sauce, it was of course a secret, but it was full of hammered out veal and round steak and cooked until VERY tender, tons of ricotta and mozeralla and about 8 or 9 layers thick. She made a 9 X 13 pan of it and I ate nearly 1/2 of it at one setting. Yes, I hurt I thought I'd explode....but this was like a fine oriental meal..you could taste each individual item and the whole thing as a harmony. I tried my best to get the method but she would not share any of her grandma's secrets....I would love to have another plate of it...Carolyn if your out there send me a note

mland520

• Total Posts: 485
            RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
            Lasagna- your sauce is the most important ingredient- a good fresh rich meat based sauce is what makes the lasagna great. I have used sausage, ground beef either or both- I do mix egg with the riccotta and garlic and oregano also, lots of mozzerella- fresh and whole milkor if I am really splurging buffalo mozz-never that skim milk variety- and I do not cook my noodles ahead of time- I have learned that if you make and use enough sauce there is no need to cook them first- in fact, I have one in the freezer right now ( a leftover from the Christmas feast) and maybe we will pull that out and enjoy it this week end.

LoveMyLab

• Total Posts: 150
              RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 11:05 AM (permalink)
              My favorite lasagna is home made, by me!

I us a mix of seasoned ground sirloin, pork, turkey.
              The sauce is homemade.
              All the herbs are from my summer garden.
              The herbs are frozen and place in a mason jar with stems attached, (except the Basil). Using a butter knife to break the herbs off the stems, I have fresh herbs year round.
              The sauce is an all day process. Basil, Marjoram, Thyme, Oregano are a must!
              The vegetables and garlic are chopped fine, then slightly softened in Olive Oil.
              Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. I don't add Riccotta.
              Lots of sauce!

The worst is the frozen ones from a supermarket! Loaded with fat. Not sure what the meat is!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
                RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 11:34 AM (permalink)
                I make my lasagna using slices of meatballs as one of the layers -- no meat sauce. Until I was about 35 I'd never heard of it being made any other way, except for those lasagna dishes that also have slices of Italian sausage in them

jimsock9

• Total Posts: 285
                  RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
                  Home made lasagna is great, no matter what the recipe! When you don't feel like doing the work involved, the restaurants we have gone to always satisfy us. Rotelli's was some of the best we've had out. I've never had lasagna I didn't like!

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                    RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 11:49 AM (permalink)
                    I honestly hate to say that I have never had good home made lasagna.While my Mother was a good cook-her version was "American Style" made with American cheese.Palatable, but not my favorite.There is a little hole in the wall pizza place called Pepis, and their lasagna is awesome.Noodles, a sauce to die for, Italian sausage and gobs of mozzarella and parmesan.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                      RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 2:15 PM (permalink)
                      Hi again,
                      Fabulousoyster and michael hoffman...I agree with you both. My grandmothers recipe was as fabulousoyster described it,right down to the egg in the ricotta and the parsley...but grandma always broke up her homemade meatballs in the lasgana,never chopped meat. take my word...it does make a difference...
                      Same question anyone have a lasagna with different ingredients?
                      leethebard

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                        RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 3:48 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by leethebard

Hi again,
                        Fabulousoyster and michael hoffman...I agree with you both. My grandmothers recipe was as fabulousoyster described it,right down to the egg in the ricotta and the parsley...but grandma always broke up her homemade meatballs in the lasgana,never chopped meat. take my word...it does make a difference...
                        Same question anyone have a lasagna with different ingredients?
                        leethebard

my Mother makes a killer eggplant lasagna. She makes it when some vegetarian friends of hers comes to visit. Personally, I like her regular lasagna better, but the recipe she has for her vegetarian version is the best I've had, anywhere.

I love having both meatballs and sausage in the lasagna.

I've had a couple versions that used cottage cheese, that were quite tasty as well. I've never made it with cottage cheese, myself, though.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                          RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 3:55 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                          My first wife made the best lasagna ever.
                          She used ground beef and ...believe it or not,
                          cottage cheese.
                          Take Care,
                          Fieldthistle

My Mom makes a great lasagne using cottage cheese(always has)also. I do the same pretty much but I add ricotta in that layer.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                            RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 4:12 PM (permalink)
                            I make one with 1/3 lb of mexican chorizo squeezed out of tube to 1 lb of lean ground beef. Then add 1 part of cotilla cheese to 2 parts ricotta and 2 parts Mozzerella. Then roast three poblano peppers on the grill remove the skin and chop. The sauce I use is straight up 6 in 1 all purpose tomatoes with fresh Basil,Parsley, Olive oil,pepper,1/2 medium onion chopped fine with 1 jalapeno chopped fine with seeds and ribs removed sauteed down in butter and olive oil until medium dark brown and about 6 cloves of garlic chopped.And I never cook the noodles first.....Russ

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                              RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
                              I took a cooking class at Sur la Table last year where lasagna was the feature and then made it for my family for Christmas. I even made homemade noodles that I rolled out with the pasta attachement on a Kitchen aid. I don't remember everything in it but I know there was ground beef and ground Italian sausage. For the beef, you took chicken livers soaked in milk for a few hours and chopped them as fine as possible and then mixed them in when browning the meat. I am not a liver fan but it added a richness that I couldn't believe. I know it had a ricotta mixture and a beschamel, part of which got mixed with the tomato sauce. The only other part I remember was that there were toasted pine nuts in it as well which my wife thought was corn. It was a big hit but honestly after making it all day, I was almost too exhausted to enjoy it.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                                RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 6:23 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Russ Jackson

I make one with 1/3 lb of mexican chorizo squeezed out of tube to 1 lb of lean ground beef. Then add 1 part of cotilla cheese to 2 parts ricotta and 2 parts Mozzerella. Then roast three poblano peppers on the grill remove the skin and chop. The sauce I use is straight up 6 in 1 all purpose tomatoes with fresh Basil,Parsley, Olive oil,pepper,1/2 medium onion chopped fine with 1 jalapeno chopped fine with seeds and ribs removed sauteed down in butter and olive oil until medium dark brown and about 6 cloves of garlic chopped.And I never cook the noodles first.....Russ

my recipe is much different, but I found that when you make fresh noodles, there's absolutely no reason to precook them, but dried noodles usually need to be cooked 1/2 way. Not "al dente" like pasta, but 1/2 cooked. Then, the noodles will absorb liquid from the tomatoes when cooking, adding a nice flavor to the pasta. However, IMO, while you can easily get away with not cooking dry pasta when baking lasgna, it comes out on the dry side. Not dry like an over cooked bird, just, not really saucy. And I like the lasagna to be a little bit saucy. Technically, if you use canned tomatoes and include the juice, that juice, coupled with the moisture from the ricotta and fresh mozzarella cheeses, could be enough moisture to get away with not precooking the noodles at all. So, it all depends on the ingredients on whether or not you can get away with not precooking the noodles. So, to get away with not precooking noodles, one should have quite a bit of wetness from your other ingredients.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
                                  RE: Your FAVORITE Lasagna Thu, 01/10/08 6:31 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by hatteras04
                                  It was a big hit but honestly after making it all day, I was almost too exhausted to enjoy it.
                                  [/quote

That is too funny and too true. I have often felt that way about meals that I have prepared.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com