Hot!Mongolian Grill?

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4609
2003/09/19 22:05:54 (permalink)

Mongolian Grill?

Starting to see these pop up as a part of some Chinese buffets.

Seems like a new chainese buffet opens in our area every time a large restaurant goes out of business. It reopens months later either as a chinese buffet or a mexican place, seemingly....

In any case, what you have is a large self-serve bar loaded down with fresh raw ingredients - usually 3-4 different kinds of thin sliced meat and a large variety of sliced/chopped vegetables. You pile what you want on your plate, add oil and or sauces from a small assortment, and then a cook slide it off the plate onto a large round grill and grills it all together quickly, moving it constantly with a large flat wooden paddle.

The result is much like a stir fry, only IMHO much better. I love it because it is custom made for me, and is really the only freshly cooked item at such an establishment.

Anyone seeing these places come about in your own area? Fairly new in Cincinnati....

71 Replies Related Threads

Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/19 22:42:00 (permalink)
    We've had those in Austin for at least 10 years, probably more. We now have one in Round Rock. It's an incredibly awesome meal, as far as I'm concerned.

Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/19 23:15:44 (permalink)
    Likewise the Mongolian Grills have been in Memphis, TN, for 15 years or so. Haven't eaten at any of them often, but have enjoyed them the times I have.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 01:01:56 (permalink)
    I LOVE Mongolian Barbecue!!! Pork and chicken with lots of spinach, zucchini, cilantro (sorry Mayor) and garlic! I crave it once a week. For those in the southland, the best place is Mongolian BBQ on Reseda in Northridge. The mall ones will do in a pinch, but the restaurants are nicer and have wonderful puffy bread.
    Poverty Pete
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 02:17:09 (permalink)
    I first encountered the Mongolian barbeque while on leave from the fiasco in Viet Nam. I stumbled into this place in Taipei, and couldn't believe what they were doing in there. It took about twenty years before I saw them start to show up in California, but I was pleasantly surprised when they finally arrived onshore, and were just as good here as I recalled having had in Asia.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 07:07:27 (permalink)
    My first one was in Ogden, Utah in 1992. My best one was in Memphis, Tn. July of 2001. I haven't been back to Memphis since then but am scheduled to be there the 3rd week of August. Gonna have to check and see if it is still there.

MikeS.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 17:53:56 (permalink)
    We had a couple of that style restaurants in our community in SoCal. One was called Mongolian and the other Korean. The major difference was "who was doing the cooking". At the Mongolian BBQ you gathered the raw materials and delivered them to the 'chef' He/She then did the magic cooking treatment and organized them on a plate and returned them to you, ready to eat. The Korean BBQ had you picking out the raw materials and taking them to your table where a Hibachi was mounted. You then cooked your own veggies,fruit, and meat/fish/poultry and consumed them whenever you thought the grill had done it's job.
    THREE Major problems I observed MANY times at the Korean Place.
    1. People didn't take care around the hot grill and many minor burns happened when they, or their kids touched the hot metal.
    2.MANY people took the raw materials to the table on a plate, then used the same plate for the finished food. This is NOT a safe procedure, especially with Chicken !!
    3. Some folks just don't have "Grill Skill".They get in a hurry to eat and don't cook their food to a safe degree. Semi-raw poultry is NOT safe.
    We finally quit going to the Korean place.[|)]
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 18:30:54 (permalink)
    *laff*

Ok, so this proves once again why the safest place to be in case our country is attacked is in Cincinnati -- everything comes here ten to fifteen years after it comes to *anywhere* else.

I do really love these places, though :-)

That said, has anyone found one seperate, ie by itself and NOT part of regular steam-table/food bar type chinese buffet?
    Liketoeat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 19:25:34 (permalink)
    Though I've experienced some Mongolian Barbeques which were in conjunction with Chinese buffet type operations, the one which has always been my favorite in Memphis is a totally stand alone venture - in no way is it any part of a Chinese buffet. I'm assuming its still there. I've not been to it in some time in that I don't get to Memphis as frequently now as in the past and certainly not in that part of town, but its always been the favorite of any I've tried.
    paul and louise
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 21:45:16 (permalink)
    well now
    we went to chainese buffet place last weekend
    they had the mongolian grill thing goin' on
    i tried it and since we were guests i was graceful enuff to finish it
    the korean bbq joimt here in lex is very enjoyable
    the meats are marinated and there is good variety
    and the pickled veggies/kim chee makes great appetizer, condiment, and desert......louise no like because waittress not so good
    they are very nice.....
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 22:15:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Poverty Pete writesI first encountered the Mongolian barbeque while on leave from the fiasco in Viet Nam. I stumbled into this place in Taipei, and couldn't believe what they were doing in there. It took about twenty years before I saw them start to show up in California, but I was pleasantly surprised when they finally arrived onshore, and were just as good here as I recalled having had in Asia.

With all due respect to Poverty Pete's experience, and apologies for taking liberties, his post put me in mind of this classic bit from the Simpsons, where Vietnam vet Seymour Skinner (aka Armand Tanzarian) recalled with frustration the food he had as a POW:

"I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right..."

Best to all,

JL
    john_1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 22:22:33 (permalink)
    We have a whole bunch of these places in San Diego, a couple are franchises. The first one used to be in that shopping center by the bay that turned into mostly meeting rooms. There were a few very good restaurants there back then in the early 80's,I think.

The original one I know of moved to that little shopping center on Friars Rd. near Frazee. Not as good as it used to be, but still pretty good. Dumpier and cheaper, maybe because it's not on the bay anymore. Out here, except maybe in one Korean place on Convoy I've never tried, they have a chef back there who turns and stirs your ingredients on the grill, so it's not hands-on. There is a pretty good place in Rancho Bernardo that, as I recall, is right by the new library. We've been there twice and enjoyed it both times.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 22:28:10 (permalink)
    I took my mother to the one in Rancho Bernardo last year. I thought it was pretty fine, but Mom prefers the soup&salad place next door. How can you argue with Mom?
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/20 22:52:44 (permalink)
    They are even popular in area Malls out here in Los Angeles. I like them but have still not mastered the skill of the proper proportion of the different ingredients. I will keep trying until I get it right!
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/21 10:12:56 (permalink)
    We have one Mongolian barbeque place in the Milwaukee area that I know of, it's been around for maybe 15 years. While the barbeque is the main draw, they do sell dishes from a Chinese menu as well. I've never tried those, but I love being able to choose just what I want for the guy behind the window to cook. I usually mix a lot of mushrooms with a selection of other things, and then stuff my bowl full of spinach leaves. Mmm!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/21 20:03:29 (permalink)
    I haven't seen a Mongolain BBQ at a Chines buffet yet. All the ones here are independent restaurants, or are popping up in malls

Mayor: Sorry to disagree, but Korean BBQ differs substantially from Mongolian BBQ. The Korean BBQ is Barbecuing, whereas the Mongolian is essentially stir-frying. The flavorings and ingredients are all different too.

I learned Korean BBQ etiquette the hard way at a funeral dinner for my high-school friend's grandmother. I wrongly assumed that whoever placed somethng on the grill had "dibs". There are no "dibs" in these places. Those 80-year-old Korean ladies were so damn fast with their chopsticks I couldn't get a bite to eat the whole time. Finally my friend and I just started ordering beers. Since we were only 15, we were pretty satisfied with that.
    tpd
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/21 22:24:45 (permalink)
    TJ-

Cincinnati has has Mongolian Barbecue for over 10 years. Ta Han has been on Chester Rd. in Sharronville at least that long. It is a stand alone MBBQ place.

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/090701_mongolianbbq.html

As for Chinese Buffets, the best one I have been to recently is in Florence Ky. on Houston Rd in the Walmart/Sams Club parking lot. I dont think there is a name on building but you can't miss it. They have MBBQ and non-threatening sushi along with the usual steam table and salad bar selections. It's not half bad for the price, particularly at lunch.

Cheers-

Tom
    CoreyEl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 156
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/21 23:45:32 (permalink)
    Had several of these in Denver--the best one was downtown by Larimer Square. Some of the guys on the griddle were real artists; flipping the ingredients all around and sliding it all into the bowl. I loved all the fresh vegetables (all the onions I could possibly want!) and being able to mix the ginger, wine and hot sauces just to my liking.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 01:27:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jgleduc

quote:
    Poverty Pete writesI first encountered the Mongolian barbeque while on leave from the fiasco in Viet Nam. I stumbled into this place in Taipei, and couldn't believe what they were doing in there. It took about twenty years before I saw them start to show up in California, but I was pleasantly surprised when they finally arrived onshore, and were just as good here as I recalled having had in Asia.

With all due respect to Poverty Pete's experience, and apologies for taking liberties, his post put me in mind of this classic bit from the Simpsons, where Vietnam vet Seymour Skinner (aka Armand Tanzarian) recalled with frustration the food he had as a POW:

"I spent the next three years in a POW camp, forced to subsist on a thin stew of fish, vegetables, prawns, coconut milk, and four kinds of rice. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the States, but they just can't get the spices right..."

Best to all,

JL

All right, if you must know, there IS a link between myself and the Simpson's. I'm not Seymour Skinner, however. In actuality, I am Dr. Hibbert.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 05:27:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

quote:
    Originally posted by jgleduc

quote:

Best to all,

JL

All right, if you must know, there IS a link between myself and the Simpson's. I'm not Seymour Skinner, however. In actuality, I am Dr. Hibbert.

I'm relieved you're not Dr. Nick Riviera
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 06:24:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

*laff*

Ok, so this proves once again why the safest place to be in case our country is attacked is in Cincinnati -- everything comes here ten to fifteen years after it comes to *anywhere* else.

I do really love these places, though :-)

That said, has anyone found one seperate, ie by itself and NOT part of regular steam-table/food bar type chinese buffet?

Chico Ca. has three---one that is part of a regular chinese place and the other two are independant---and very good----love being able to eat my fill of lamb!!!---and both owned by the same folks.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4121
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 12:39:59 (permalink)
    The better ones out here in the LA area have been putting lamb into it too, a much better meat choice IMHO to stand up to the spiciness you can acheive. My only complaint over the years has been subtlety------if you try to make a sauce with a subtle taste, inevitably it seems to pick up whatever flavor the last person used that overpowers whatever you may try to acheive. That said, I do agree with elise about the Mongolian BBQ on Reseda-------it is very good. My other favorite one is on Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach-----there again, no buffet-----strictly Mongolian BBQ here.The food may not be exceptional----but they are a lot of fun for a crowd!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 13:20:30 (permalink)
    I had many good lunches at the "Bali Hai" on Wake Forest Road in Raleigh, NC in the '80s and '90s. Strictly a rock, no buffet. You put the ingredients in a bowl and could select from level 1 to level 10 hot and 1 to 10 sweet (I built up to a 7 hot). I recall 2 guys in front of me ordering "10 hot plus curry". When they left after eating (and they did finish it off), their hair was plastered to their heads and their shirts were wringing wet. I don't see how they could have tasted the food.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 16:45:39 (permalink)
    Stay clear of just about ANY type oriental type restaurant in Florida(or least Central), they are good, but at one time or another they will be closed then opened, closed, reopened. From rodents to illegal immigrants(family), they get caught. My husbands delivers produce to many of them and he always tells me which ones to steer clear of. Another thing I noticed down here is that orientals restaurants NEVER ring anything up on a cash register, only adding machines with NO paper. At the risk of saying something that offend someone, I'll ask you folks..."why"?
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/22 23:55:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tpd

Cincinnati has has Mongolian Barbecue for over 10 years. Ta Han has been on Chester Rd. in Sharronville at least that long. It is a stand alone MBBQ place.

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/090701_mongolianbbq.html

As for Chinese Buffets, the best one I have been to recently is in Florence Ky. on Houston Rd in the Walmart/Sams Club parking lot. I dont think there is a name on building but you can't miss it.

will have to try'em both, now :-)

Had no idea about the one on Chester, sorry.....
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/23 00:16:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

Stay clear of just about ANY type oriental type restaurant in Florida(or least Central), they are good, but at one time or another they will be closed then opened, closed, reopened. From rodents to illegal immigrants(family), they get caught. My husbands delivers produce to many of them and he always tells me which ones to steer clear of. Another thing I noticed down here is that orientals restaurants NEVER ring anything up on a cash register, only adding machines with NO paper. At the risk of saying something that offend someone, I'll ask you folks..."why"?

Pocket Money........A Way around paying all those tax's. The guy I take my clothes to hasn't rung me up in 7 years. I pay cash, no receipt, no clothes tag, no record! If the guy died tomorrow I wouldn't be able to pick up my clothes. LOL
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/23 01:37:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

The better ones out here in the LA area have been putting lamb into it too, a much better meat choice IMHO to stand up to the spiciness you can acheive. My only complaint over the years has been subtlety------if you try to make a sauce with a subtle taste, inevitably it seems to pick up whatever flavor the last person used that overpowers whatever you may try to acheive. That said, I do agree with elise about the Mongolian BBQ on Reseda-------it is very good. My other favorite one is on Sepulveda in Manhattan Beach-----there again, no buffet-----strictly Mongolian BBQ here.The food may not be exceptional----but they are a lot of fun for a crowd!

Just had King's (finally looked the sign) Mongolian on Reseda for dinner. What's the cross street for the place on Sepulveda?
    silverspork
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/23 04:20:11 (permalink)
    Chang's Mongolian Grill chain in Seattle. As described. I was
    put off for years by their washed out commercials that made
    the food look like you were eating piles of bean sprouts.

I was taken to one by a friend, and was pleasantly
    surprised. They seem to attract college students and football
    teams, because of the "all you can eat" feature.

The food is fresh, for the most part (the freeze-dried meat is a hoot)
    and the cook is fast. I like them, even if they are a little pricey.
    Poverty Pete
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/23 04:27:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by silverspork

I was taken to one by a friend, and was pleasantly
    surprised. They seem to attract college students and football
    teams, because of the "all you can eat" feature.

I first encountered Korean barbeque while attending the University of Hawaii. I stumbled across an AYCE and for the remainder of the semester, the whole water polo team went there almost daily. Sadly, they went out of business shortly thereafter. I always wondered whether we were a factor in their demise.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mongolian Grill? 2003/09/24 06:35:12 (permalink)
    Does anyone have a recipe for the sauce they use? I want to make this at home (and no, I don't have a big round grill). I know it has soy sauce, but then I'm lost.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1