The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Southern Minnesota?

gala62

• Total Posts: 18
Southern Minnesota? Sat, 09/20/03 7:06 AM (permalink)
Hi everyone!

We've just moved to Southern Minnesota (near Mankato) and are looking for any good Roadfood types of places. We're especially interested in homestyle meats, REAL mashed potatoes, pizza, lunches and breakfast. As a native Western New Yorker, I'm also on a Holy Grail for decent wings, but not holding out much hope!

My husband and I love to go out driving, so any suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much!

Gail

mirish26

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Southern Minnesota? Wed, 09/24/03 6:53 PM (permalink)
    Well, Mankato isn't far from the Twin Cities so, if you like to drive I presume you will head up here occasionally - especially since the metro has tons of great eating places (as do many smaller communities throughout the State & Wisconsin) - but I digress! Anyway - just one recommendation for today - more another time. Head to the Modern Cafe (337 13th Ave. NE - which is in NE MPLS.) for the all-time BEST pot roast. The Modern (which is mainly a vintage cafe) is almost always busy and they do not take reservations - but, as most people will tell you - if you have to wait for a table - then wait. When you score a table order the pot roast (and maybe one of you should also order the chicken - and then you can have a few bites of each other's food!)- best of all, both meals come with real mashed potatoes. The pot roast is served during lunch and dinner. Breakfasts are also good (and busy) but do try the pot roast first.

gala62

• Total Posts: 18
      RE: Southern Minnesota? Wed, 09/24/03 8:47 PM (permalink)
      Thanks! Sounds yummy, pot roast and chicken are 2 favorites! I'll definitely keep this in mind when we head to the cities!

Nothing ticks me off more than fake mashed potatoes in a restaurant! How can people eat the stuff?

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
        RE: Southern Minnesota? Thu, 09/25/03 10:07 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by gala62

Hi everyone!

We've just moved to Southern Minnesota (near Mankato) and are looking for any good Roadfood types of places. We're especially interested in homestyle meats, REAL mashed potatoes, pizza, lunches and breakfast. As a native Western New Yorker, I'm also on a Holy Grail for decent wings, but not holding out much hope!

My husband and I love to go out driving, so any suggestions are welcome! Thanks so much!

Gail

I just moved from St. Paul out to the west of Minneapolis by about 30 miles or so. I'm looking for good places out this way too. If I find any in my travels, I'll be sure and let you know. I'll have to wander a little South for the Mankato area, but travel has never been a problem. Good Luck food hunting.

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          RE: Southern Minnesota? Thu, 09/25/03 11:26 AM (permalink)
          I'm not sure how far away you are but Stillwater, Minn is a nice historic town with lots of antique shops and a wide range of places to eat. I've been told the La Belle Vie is good(upscale)and The Dock are both along the River, I've eaten at Brine's which is comfy bar food in a restored old building on Main and Madcappers which is also bar food with good burgers. There is also a dinner train that leaves from Stillwater and goes a few miles along the St. Croix River.

mickj

• Total Posts: 9
            RE: Southern Minnesota? Fri, 09/26/03 4:44 PM (permalink)
            A nice day or weekend trip for you would be to go down to the "Bluff Country" of southeastern MN. There are two very nice bike trails (Root River Trail and Harmony/Preson Trail) which link a variety of picturesque little towns.

Some good roadfood-type joints in these towns include:

- Wheeler's (a combination roller-rink/burger joint in Harmony)
            - Das Wurst Haus (a sausage and brat place in Lanesboro--probably the most touristy of these little towns, but still very nice)
            - Victory Cafe in Preston (the most roadfoody of all, it's your standard midwest small-town main street place, with those real mashed potatoes you were looking for, as well as some great pie!).

Also, I lived in Minneapolis for two years and Saint Paul for seven years. I'm partial to Saint Paul--they have everything Minneapolis has, usually for less money, and usually with more parking. The best pizza in the Twin Cities is at Red's Savoy Inn on Seventh Street in Saint Paul. It's a dive but the pizza is fantastic. (Make sure yours has Italian sausage on it.) It can be very crowded, it can be smoky, and parking can be a challenge, but it's very worth it. Here are some customer reviews:

http://twincities.citysearch.com/review/5516886/?cslink=cs_profile_tabs_user_review

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com