Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP

Kodachrome

• Total Posts: 37

ayersian

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Wed, 01/30/08 2:26 PM (permalink)
    Folks, this is a huge blow to New Haven RF -- where to get great dogs now in town? It's a looong way to Tucson, AZ for BK's bacon-wrapped dogs. As one poster put it so aptly, "Farewell Doodle, you were indeed a dandy." Read this[url='http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2008/01/yankee_doodles.php/']article[/url] and see for yourself. Could this be turned around? Chris

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
      RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Wed, 01/30/08 2:37 PM (permalink)
      Crif Dogs in NYC has some mighty fine bacon wrapped dogs. The Spicy Redneck for one with coleslaw, jalapenos, chili and bacon. They have 4 other dogs wrapped in bacon and I'm sure you can get a custom dog with bacon if you want. Probably more expensive than the Doodle or Tucson, but very tasty.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
        RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Wed, 01/30/08 3:24 PM (permalink)
        I first began going to the place in 1950. I'd get off the bus right in front of Yankee Doodle in the morning to go to school at Hillhouse High school, which was across Broadway, and near the Payne Whitney Gym. I'd almost always go in and get a cup of coffee and an English muffin before heading off to school. I'd sneak out often for lunch and head right for the Yankee Doodle and a cheeseburger and coffee. It's been many years since last was there, and I live hundreds of miles away. But it saddens me to know that it's gone, and that I can never go home again.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Wed, 01/30/08 3:40 PM (permalink)
          O U C H ! ! !

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409

ayersian

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 12:51 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

But it saddens me to know that it's gone, and that I can never go home again.

Michael, you said it best, and I've been thinking about this sentence all day. I work in New Haven every summer for 2 months, and the Doodle was my favorite RF stop for burgers, bacon-wrapped dogs, cola made with syrup and carbonated water, grilled donuts, breakfast sandwiches...you name it, I've tried them all and loved every single item. Knowing that I can never eat there again physically pains me, like an invisible weight on my chest. I thought of all the places in my hometown of Rock Hill, South Carolina that I craved as a child up through adulthood -- the Friendly Grill for chili cheeseburgers, Watkins Grill for dogs, Tommy's for fresh-cut fries (a whole potato was cut while I watched), even the Pizza Inn where I had my birthday parties. All of them are gone, and it's not the same at all to go back. The very fabric of my food memory has been wiped clean, with no hope of refreshers or reminders. I can never truly go home either, but I'll always have the fondest memories of those tastes and how happy those days were. I just went to the Doodle website and bought $40 worth of merch to pay my respects.

Again, you said it best, my friend. Thank you for this food for thought. In mourning, Chris

buffetbuster

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 5:37 AM (permalink)
                This is indeed sad news for New Haven and Roadfooders everywhere. What an atmosphere this place had and the food was quite good, too.

I am trying to be hopeful and read between the lines in the newspaper article.....could this be just a rent dispute?

ayersian

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 9:30 AM (permalink)
                  BB, I'd like to think so, but I read that head cook Rick Beckwith already has a job with a CT utility company, which makes it sound more permanent. I made cheese-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dogs last night for dinner as a tribute, but they didn't taste the same... Chris

FrankBooth

• Total Posts: 185
                    RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 9:36 AM (permalink)
                    a crushing blow to the New Haven culinary scene. yes, sally's, pepe's, modern, the spot, louis lunch, etc. are still holding it down, but the Doodle was a childhood favorite and an absolute pillar of new haven food scene. great cheap greasy breakfasts and burgers and obviously the pigs in a blanket were definitive. sorely missed will be the doodle...

efuery

• Total Posts: 630
                      RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 9:58 AM (permalink)
                      This makes we want to cry. I am sure going to miss those burgers.

Michael Hoffman

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 10:57 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by ayersian

quote:
                        Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

But it saddens me to know that it's gone, and that I can never go home again.

Again, you said it best, my friend. Thank you for this food for thought. In mourning, Chris

Thank you Chris. The only thing good about the matter is that I was moved to call an old friend last night. He lives in St. Louis now, and I had a difficult time locating him and getting his phone number. We used to ride the bus in high school and we'd go into the Yankee Doodle (I never did get used to the idea of calling it The Doodle) for our coffee and English muffins eachg morning.

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                          RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 9:38 PM (permalink)
                          as a former connecticut yankee for 50 yrs.,now living in daytona beach, i'll miss the doodle.
                          CAN I STILL GET A T-SHIRT ?

long dog

• Total Posts: 295
                            RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 9:54 PM (permalink)
                            seems that there is an online movement on to "Save the Doodle."

here's the link from WTNH.

[url]javascript:playVideo('2149539', 'Save%20the%20Doodle-story%20by%20Jodi%20Latina', 'v', 'News', '109600', 'Homepage', '', '','flv');[/url]

Michael Hoffman

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 9:55 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by long dog

here's the link from WTNH.

[url]javascript:playVideo('2149539', 'Save%20the%20Doodle-story%20by%20Jodi%20Latina', 'v', 'News', '109600', 'Homepage', '', '','flv');[/url]

I got Page Not Found

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Thu, 01/31/08 11:09 PM (permalink)
                                hey michael! isn't it time to take a vacation to Daytona?

Michael Hoffman

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Fri, 02/1/08 3:15 AM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by sk bob

hey michael! isn't it time to take a vacation to Daytona?

Me? Florida? Not hardly. I lived in Florida for a while, running a charter fishing boat. Hated it there. I was there again for almost a week back in 1988. Didn't want to be there then, and I sure don't want to be there again. They don't seem to understand down there that when temperatures get above 40-degrees humans cannot survive -- or at least shouldn't want to survive.

Frankman

• Total Posts: 300
                                    RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Fri, 02/1/08 4:13 AM (permalink)
                                    Wow!
                                    I caught it on the news. They said he just closed the doors suddenly and left a note.

ayersian

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Fri, 02/1/08 11:21 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by long dog

Not just online, apparently...we just heard on the 11:00 news that the City of New Haven may step in to keep Yankee Doodle open. More details in an article in tomorrow's New Haven Register...will update this when I hear something new. Chris

ayersian

RE: Yankee Doodle New Haven - RIP Sat, 02/2/08 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                        This just in: Yale has offered a different space to keep the Doodle going. Check out the story in the New Haven Register[url='http://www.nhregister.com/WebApp/appmanager/JRC/BigDaily?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_article&r21.pgpath=%2FNHR%2FHome&r21.content=%2FNHR%2FHome%2FFeaturedArticle_Story_1519565']here[/url]. Keep your fingers crossed, Chris

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com