Since you seem qualified as a slinger expert..... What makes a slinger great? And which place or places make the best? I would love to know for future exploration.
I'm going to link many posts in this thread so if nothing else you can see the photos:
Well...for me...here are a few things I demand personally:
1) Chopped onions the size of quarters! The Buttery little bitty onion shavings. See in here: http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/11/part-7-of-continuing-series-st-louiss.html
The onions were completely bland. I tasted nothing of onions on this one. Now, had they put the proper onions, oh my god, it'd have been a 8 of 10.
2) Use a good helping of cheese on top. Like Chris's Pancake House did. It's all about the portions of the add on pieces if you ask me. http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/08/st-louiss-perfect-slinger-part-4-chriss.html
When you look at this one: you can see LARGE onion pieces, and a large portion of shredded cheese on top. Now it doesn't have to have shredded cheese, American is just fine as well, but don't skimp!
3) The Chili. Riverside Cafe has what would have been the best were the onions there. http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/10/part-6-of-continuing-series-st-louiss.html
I have since met the owner, after she invited me down for karaoke night there. So that place was like the epitomy of the 13 blog!!! Bar and Slinger in one place...and $1.50 Schlitz beers...I was in heaven there. She tells me now that she tells everybody to either ask or just put onions on it. They use the original slinger chili on theirs and it makes a big difference.
4) Hamburger patties, not sausage patties. Eat Rite, City Diner, The 12th Street Diner, Billie's Diner, all use sausage patties. The sausage patties aren't right. Use big honkin' burger patties. Tastes better every time, and after I mash it up, there's beef, hashbrowns, etc in every bite.
5) Hashbrowns: Have kick ass hashbrowns. Not cheap ones.
6) Don't mess with a proven system. Billie's Diner, 12th Street Diner, and The Majestic Cafe (though I shouldn't mention them) all changed the formula. No hashbrowns on any of them...yuck.
7) Jalapenos improve anything! Courtesy Diner adds jalapenos for a fee. http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/05/st-louiss-perfect-slinger-part-3.html
Made them awesome...but the hasbrowns were a bit iffy! (I also had to pay for the cheese too.)
Really...there's no one thing that makes them great. The better the ingredients, the better the slinger. Though, one thing I have noticed is that if you go to a diner, and they use burger patties, the burgers taste better. I was told that the grill keeps in some of the flavor, so it's still in the burgers....dunno about all that...but I have noticed really tasty burgers in the diners.
My next stop is at a new place in Lafayette Square. I never reveal the name of the location, as I am beginning to get a bit of a reputation around St. Louis and my reviews are getting back to the owners. Also, a lot of restaurant and bar owners read the st. louis food forum I post on....so....yeah. I'm easy to spot if you know what to look for...a duder with a BlackBerry taking pictures of his food (or drink) and your establishment..lol.
(Also, thank you all from roadfood.com who've made their way to the 13 Blog, but don't be ashamed to comment, follow or any other linky silly stuff I put up! I love feedback of all kinds.)