The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Buffalo Drumsticks

RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD

• Total Posts: 191
Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 5:40 AM (permalink)
Hey All

Just a idea to feed off of you. Local store has chicken drumsticks [not my favorite] at a great sale price and with the price of wings, has anyone tried making Buffalo Drumsticks?
If not I'l let you know how it comes out.

Jim

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
    RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 8:30 AM (permalink)

They would be much better than all the other 'Buffulo' pretenders. I'm talking to you KFC...
    I'ld treat them more or less the same way. I suspect that pre-frying over baking will work the best way so the meat will stay together. You will want the skin to be able to keep the meat binded so it won't fall apart from the bone. Baking might steam them.
    I'm writing this as my most recent attempt with wings in a convection oven had this problem.

mark

SRB

RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 8:32 AM (permalink)
      I've done 'em baked instead of deep-fried, and they turned out great. Roast them at a fairly high temp and baste them with the sauce for the last 10-15 minutes.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
        RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 8:35 AM (permalink)
        Google Chicken Lollipops,I did these for the Superbowl last week and they were awesome.You can do them Buffalo style if you like.

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
          RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 9:51 AM (permalink)
          I have done large batches of wings where I baked them on a rack set in a pan to cook them and get rid of some of the fat. Then I broil them to crisp them up. Lastly, I put them in a bowl to completely cover them with whatever sauce I'm using and put them in a slow oven (again on the rack) for a while to dry them off some.

Legs don't have that much fat on them - do they? You could just bake, yes, at a high temp - 400F to 425F - then coat with sauce and finish baking to glaze and dry off.

I might try this soon 'cause legs are way cheaper than wings!

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
            RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 10:22 AM (permalink)
            I do what I call Louisiana Hot Chicken. Just cook the chicken at high temp in Louisiana Hot Sauce and butter. Leg quarters, legs, theigs, breasts, all work fine. I serve this, with the juice, over white rice.
            Joe

Sundancer7

RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 11:00 AM (permalink)
              I batter fry the legs. I use a premade batter and I add garlic, onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper and pan fry in lard. Great crust and then I add the sauce. Works real good for me.

Paul E. Smith
              Knoxville, TN

RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD

• Total Posts: 191
                RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/9/08 4:25 PM (permalink)
                HEY All

Thanks for the imput?

Jim

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
                  RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Thu, 02/14/08 9:25 AM (permalink)
                  Results:

Two nights ago I made some baked "hot" legs and they turned out pretty good! I took 5 legs (natural, no hormones from Food Lion), rubbed a little olive oil on them, seasoned them heavily with Emeril's Poultry Seasoning and a Cajun spice mix, baked them for 15 minutes at 450 on a rack set in a foil lined large metal pie plate, turned them, baked another 15 minutes, then spread K.C. Masterpiece BBQ sauce on them and put them back in the oven for another 10 minutes, then turned the oven off and let them sit for about 10 minutes.

They were completely cooked, not dry, and the Cajun spice made them lip-tingling hot! I'll do this again! Maybe next time I'll toss the baked legs in hot sauce and butter, then dry them off in the warm oven.
                  Teresa

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                    RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Thu, 02/14/08 9:55 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I do what I call Louisiana Hot Chicken. Just cook the chicken at high temp in Louisiana Hot Sauce and butter. Leg quarters, legs, theigs, breasts, all work fine. I serve this, with the juice, over white rice.
                    Joe

How do you "cook" them???? Bake?? Fry?? Broil???

PapaJoe8

RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Thu, 02/14/08 2:04 PM (permalink)
                      Foodb, not sure what you call this kind of cooking??? I have a big ceramic pot w/ a lid that I use for the oven. For smaller batches I use a skilett w/ a lid. The trick is the high temp, 450 in the oven. With the skilett I just cook it where it is a low boil, or a high simmer. The juice changes color when it gets done. It's hard to over cook this. I turn the chicked once. The "hot chicken" is one of the few spicy dishes my grandzillas will eat. It is also one of the dishes they most request. Bone in breasts are my family's favorite. You could use bonless but I think the bone gives it a better flavor. Oh, more butter = less spicy. And less juice over it, and the rice, = less spicy. Without and juice it is barly spicy. I like lotsa juice on mine. My normal recipe is 1 stick of butter for 2 cups of hot sauce. This will cook about 3 lbs. of chicken. I hope this helps.

How bout buffalo hot dogs?
                      Joe
                      Joe

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                        RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Fri, 02/15/08 4:27 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Foodb, not sure what you call this kind of cooking??? I have a big ceramic pot w/ a lid that I use for the oven. For smaller batches I use a skilett w/ a lid. The trick is the high temp, 450 in the oven. With the skilett I just cook it where it is a low boil, or a high simmer. The juice changes color when it gets done. It's hard to over cook this. I turn the chicked once. The "hot chicken" is one of the few spicy dishes my grandzillas will eat. It is also one of the dishes they most request. Bone in breasts are my family's favorite. You could use bonless but I think the bone gives it a better flavor. Oh, more butter = less spicy. And less juice over it, and the rice, = less spicy. Without and juice it is barly spicy. I like lotsa juice on mine. My normal recipe is 1 stick of butter for 2 cups of hot sauce. This will cook about 3 lbs. of chicken. I hope this helps.

How bout buffalo hot dogs?
                        Joe
                        Joe

BUFFALO DOGS?????? GREAT IDEA!! Let's start with Hot Dogs made from Buffalo Meat!http://www.thebuffaloguys.com/our_products.asp#hot_dogs_ribs

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                          RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Fri, 02/15/08 4:30 PM (permalink)
                          Never was a leg man. Too much grizzle and sinew!!! Wings are OK. How about Buffalo Breasts..or Breast pieces??

PapaJoe8

RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Fri, 02/15/08 7:16 PM (permalink)
                            Foodb, sounds good to me. Those would be buffalo buffalo dogs!

Lee, as I said on my last post, bone in breasts are my familys favorite. I have done bonless but I just think the bone ins are better.
                            Joe

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6086
                              RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/16/08 11:58 AM (permalink)
                              Certainly more tender,but we can do so much mre with the boneless cutlets.We keep a large amount frozen and use as needed for so many recipes.

PapaJoe8

RE: Buffalo Drumsticks Sat, 02/16/08 12:34 PM (permalink)
                                Right Lee, I cook em different ways also. But... they are real good in the butter and La hot sauce, over rice. Almost everyone in my family says this is their favorite way.

The bone ins go on sale around me for 99c a lb. I can feed allot of folks at that price.
                                Joe

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com