The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Williamsburg, Va

familydok

• Total Posts: 231
Williamsburg, Va Wed, 09/24/03 6:16 AM (permalink)
We were in Williamsburg last week-couldn't miss a hurricane-if they aren't come to NC we seem to just be where they are
After reading several articles in different publications we headed first to Chewing's Tavern to try their Brunswick stew. What a disappointment!! It reminded me of a veg. soup with no meat or seasoning Pierce's Pitt BBQ's was much better. I also had a delicious seafood mixture cooked in ceramic at the Seafare Restaurant. A little pricey but excellent service. Went to Taste Tea Salon & Gifts in The Village Shops at Kingsmill. Very nice service, gifts and they are "known for their scones". It is featured in the autumn TEA A Magazine.
We had many more to try-but the storm hit-no power so we came home early.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
    RE: Williamsburg, Va Wed, 09/24/03 8:59 AM (permalink)
    I hope you were able to get some peanut soup while you were in Williamsburg. I always enjoyed the "gamboling" at "Chewning's Tavern", and good (if pricey) eating at "King's Arms Tavern".

blake76

• Total Posts: 41
      RE: Williamsburg, Va Thu, 09/25/03 6:03 PM (permalink)
      Amen to the peanut soup. I also remember (years ago) going to a colonial-candy shop on Duke of Gloucester St. and tasting a sesame seed/caramel concoction--strange and delicious.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
        RE: Williamsburg, Va Sat, 02/19/05 3:20 PM (permalink)
        There's a guy I go to church with here in Knoxville who's from Portsmouth, VA. In college he worked at the King's Arm and he's always after me to eat there when I get up that way. Seems to me I've read both good and bad reviews by people who have been there. Anybody care to weigh in with a definitive post?

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
          RE: Williamsburg, Va Sat, 02/19/05 4:40 PM (permalink)
          IMHO none of the taverns in the historic area serve really great food, but they are okay enough along with the wonderful atmosphere to make it worth the trip. If you are looking for other options I am attaching an earlier post on W-burg that maybe of interest.

QFan
          Bonita Springs, FL

Originally posted by QFan

You can't really miss eating in the historic area on Christmas, as the historic district is really done up gorgeously. And of the tavern choices I would agree with Christiana Campbell's. However, if you can squeeze in one more really wonderful dining option DEFINITELY try The Trellis restaurant on Duke of Gloucester Street (just before you enter into the historic area). It's really a bit above a typical RF eatery but you will say it's one of the best restaurants you've ever tried. My daughter went to W & M for 4 yrs and my wife and I got to try most of the better choices in W-burg. I'm jealous that you're going to be there and I'm not! You'll love it.

wilewil

• Total Posts: 99
            RE: Williamsburg, Va Tue, 02/22/05 4:03 PM (permalink)
            Was in Williamsburg this weekend and the news on accomodations and dining was that the Lodge is closed for a long period for remodeling and Shield's Tavern in the historic area is converting to a coffehouse. The Lodge did need a facelift. Shield's was the most recent of the historic area eateries, opening about 1986. The locals weren't too happy about Shield's since the staff got little notice of being laid off.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
              RE: Williamsburg, Va Tue, 02/22/05 4:15 PM (permalink)
              The time of year that you travel there has a lot to do with it.
              Heather and I went south to Knoxville 2 years ago in March, and stopped at Colonial Williamsburg on our return trip.
              2 of the 3 taverns were closed. Shield's wa the only one open, and then only for set periods-we were the last ones seated for lunch.
              Food was as everyone else has described.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                RE: Williamsburg, Va Tue, 02/22/05 4:39 PM (permalink)
                I like this area a lot but I'm usually stealing time away from work to visit. Has anyone been to Yorktown (the town) and Jamestown. Any food places at either of these towns ?

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
                  RE: Williamsburg, Va Tue, 02/22/05 6:32 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by carlton pierre

I like this area a lot but I'm usually stealing time away from work to visit. Has anyone been to Yorktown (the town) and Jamestown. Any food places at either of these towns ?

There used to be a really great seafood place called Nick's right on the water in Yorktown, but I think it burned down a few years back. Not sure if they ever rebuilt it.
                  Another thought for W-burg if you are still mulling over your options. Down on Richmond Rd right near the college is a series of little bar/sandwich shops that are locally known as the "deli's." They are mostly college hangouts were the students quash down the beer by the pitcher, but (here's the good part) they have really great sandwiches, burgers and salads. I would say they are very true to the RF theme. The best known is Paul's. You might want to wander in and check one out in the true road fooder spirit.

QFan
                  Bonita Springs, FL

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                    RE: Williamsburg, Va Wed, 02/23/05 2:48 AM (permalink)

Nick's in Yorktown was torn down after Nick and his wife died a few years ago.

Since Jamestown is really a sort of an historical park, there's really no restaurant right there. But, if you take the Jamestown ferry across the James River ( a beautiful 20 minute free ride for you and your car ) to Scotland Neck in Surry County, and then proceed on Rt. 31 for about 30 minutes through some pretty countryside, you will come to Wakefield, Va. and The Virginia Diner on Rt. 460. A little touristy nowadays, but still has that Roadfood way about it. Fried chicken, barbecue, etc.

Frank

sebori

• Total Posts: 5
                      RE: Williamsburg, Va Wed, 02/23/05 5:02 PM (permalink)
                      I would have to agree the Diner is great. If you get the chance try it for some real home cooking.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                        • No New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                        • Read Message
                        • Post New Thread
                        • Reply to message
                        • Post New Poll
                        • Submit Vote
                        • Post reward post
                        • Delete my own posts
                        • Delete my own threads
                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com