The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN

RibRater

• Total Posts: 1862
Volcanoes Bakery -The Real McCoy - Johnson City TN Tue, 02/19/08 1:33 PM (permalink)
The only place to get authentic mexican food in our area that I know of, The Real McCoy (I don't even know if that is the name of the establishment..but it's the only name I've ever seen associated with the place!) is excellent, from scratch, fare with attitude - the attitude coming from the owner who will tell anybody willing to listen that everything is home made just like they did it back in mexico...she laughs as she says "no sysco here!".

They are located in the bright yellow building on Market St, next to Midas and about 1 block from Jane's LunchBox (an official Sterns reviewed roadfood establishment).

A shot of the outside - other then the color, you could drive right past this small building and vnever know there were great things going on inside.

Just a few months ago the inside was standing room only but they have moved the counter back and made some seating room. When I dropped in today there were already 3 or 4 people bellied up and enjoying some soup and sandwiches.

The restaurant opens at 9 to sell their excellent pastries. Other then the churros (top left), I don't know the name of any of these but I can tell you the arrow head shaped pastries on the 2nd row are fantastic. I've had them filled with a sweet cheese and pineapple.

Under the counter there are various drinks and desserts available.

Now the reason for most of my visits...

The sandwiches and tamales! All the sandwiches start with fresh baked bread. There is an oven directly behind the counter with about 40 small loaves (or 40 large rolls) all waiting to be stuffed with various meats and veggies.

Pictured here is a Pambaso (or a Dip Sandwich) - fresh baked bread that is dipped into a hot salsa, then grill dried. They take the finished product, slice it and stuff it with chorizo, cooked potatoes, cheese, lettuce, and sour cream. It's very spicy and when you're finished eating it takes about 3 good hand washings to get the red stains off your fingers. It's a huge sandwich for about $5 - you won't go away hungry.

In addition to the sandwiches they always have an excellent selection of fresh tamales. Pictured is a jalapeƱo and cheese with onions and fresh salsa. In addition to that they have 4 different types of meat and a couple of dessert tamales.

I opened this one up before eating.

If you're passing through the area be sure to stop off and grab some Dip sandwiches for the road!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com