The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Drake's BY Hostess?

Eric B

• Total Posts: 103
Drake's BY Hostess? Sun, 02/24/08 8:16 PM (permalink)
When IBC began giving Hostess its new logo, and new wrapper design; I wondered if they would do their newer acquisition Drake's as well.

It seemed they didn't. to day I discover the change they did make, an a new batch of Yankee Doodles, was to add a Hostess logo to the right of the Drake's logo on the blue and orange ribbon. The word "by" is between the logos.

So now, Drake's is being made a sub-label of Hostess, it seems. When the merger first occurred, I had asked company officials if they would ever just replace Drake's with the national Hostess brand, and they said no. But that was nearly a decade ago now.

Considering that the Flowers honey buns and Pecan Spins, and a local third party company's mini-donuts that were carried with Drake's labels went through a phaseout where the Hostess logo replaced the Drake's name, but still on the Drake's ribbon with the rest of the Drake's label design; and then it was just converted to a Hostess label; I wonder if now they are considering doing away with Drake's altogether.

In areas where the products are sold, you would just have these extra Hostess cakes, like even now people keep discussing the raspberry filled donuts that appear in some places, but not in many others.

That would be a shame! Here in the northeast, Drake's were as big, if not bigger than Hostess. They were bought by Borden who basically did nothing much with them. (There were some failed expansion attempts during that period). Then, a canadian company. Now, the IBC near-monopoly, but I wonder how good this will be for the line of cakes. they could at any time decide they are unprofitable, and they have two other national brands they could carry on.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com