The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 real cheesesteak in boston? please help

Author Message
johnpalley

  • Total Posts: 3
  • Joined: 2/26/2008
  • Location: medford, MA
real cheesesteak in boston? please help Tue, 02/26/08 11:00 PM (permalink)
ive lived in the boston area my whole life and ive never had a cheesesteak any where nearly as good as when i went to philly once. is there any place in the boston area that you all know of that has a real cheesesteak as good as the ones in philly. i love them so much. someone please help me out. thank you
 
#1
    Jimeats

    • Total Posts: 3175
    • Joined: 8/15/2005
    • Location: Ipswich Ma
    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 11:27 AM (permalink)
    Nothing wrong with Bob's in So. Meffa. There is a great spot on Lebanon St. in Malden but the name ecapes me at the moment. In Waltham is another fine spot and famous for their cheese steaks but once again, the name?
    I'll post back on both names soon.
    As far as a Philly cheese steak, well I was undewhelmed. Though very good I had to ask myself what's all the hype. I must say the sub roll was exellent.
    Chow Jim
     
    #2
      mikez629

      • Total Posts: 307
      • Joined: 1/15/2008
      • Location: Oakland, NJ
      RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 11:29 AM (permalink)
      No such thing-take a road trip!
       
      #3
        wanderingjew

        • Total Posts: 7381
        • Joined: 1/18/2001
        • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 11:32 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Jimeats

        I'll post back on both names soon.
        As far as a Philly cheese steak, well I was undewhelmed. Though very good I had to ask myself what's all the hype. I must say the sub roll was exellent.
        Chow Jim


        If you went to Pats, Geno's or Jim's I can understand
        3 of the biggest TOURIST TRAPS in the country
         
        #4
          Michael Hoffman

          • Total Posts: 17804
          • Joined: 7/1/2000
          • Location: Gahanna, OH
          RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 12:04 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by mikez629

          No such thing-take a road trip!

          A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.
           
          #5
            porkbeaks

            • Total Posts: 2201
            • Joined: 5/6/2005
            • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
            RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 12:26 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

            quote:
            Originally posted by mikez629

            No such thing-take a road trip!

            A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


            Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb
             
            #6
              Michael Hoffman

              • Total Posts: 17804
              • Joined: 7/1/2000
              • Location: Gahanna, OH
              RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by porkbeaks

              quote:
              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

              quote:
              Originally posted by mikez629

              No such thing-take a road trip!

              A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


              Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

              I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.
               
              #7
                wanderingjew

                • Total Posts: 7381
                • Joined: 1/18/2001
                • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                • Roadfood Insider
                RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 12:46 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                quote:
                Originally posted by porkbeaks

                quote:
                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                quote:
                Originally posted by mikez629

                No such thing-take a road trip!

                A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


                Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

                I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.


                Oh yeah!

                To quote my former coworkers from Seattle "Pizza is Pizza"

                 
                #8
                  porkbeaks

                  • Total Posts: 2201
                  • Joined: 5/6/2005
                  • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                  RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 12:48 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                  quote:
                  Originally posted by porkbeaks

                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                  quote:
                  Originally posted by mikez629

                  No such thing-take a road trip!

                  A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


                  Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

                  I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.


                  My point is that there's nothing inherent in the location that they are made that makes these food items any better than they would be if prepared somewhere else.
                   
                  #9
                    Michael Hoffman

                    • Total Posts: 17804
                    • Joined: 7/1/2000
                    • Location: Gahanna, OH
                    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 1:05 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by porkbeaks

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by porkbeaks

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                    quote:
                    Originally posted by mikez629

                    No such thing-take a road trip!

                    A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


                    Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

                    I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.


                    My point is that there's nothing inherent in the location that they are made that makes these food items any better than they would be if prepared somewhere else.

                    Ah, but it is impossible to make an appiza anywhere near as good as one from Pepe's, Sally's or The Spot in New Haven in a location other than New Haven.
                     
                    #10
                      porkbeaks

                      • Total Posts: 2201
                      • Joined: 5/6/2005
                      • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                      RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 1:24 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by porkbeaks

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by porkbeaks

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                      quote:
                      Originally posted by mikez629

                      No such thing-take a road trip!

                      A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


                      Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

                      I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.


                      My point is that there's nothing inherent in the location that they are made that makes these food items any better than they would be if prepared somewhere else.

                      Ah, but it is impossible to make an appiza anywhere near as good as one from Pepe's, Sally's or The Spot in New Haven in a location other than New Haven.


                      Any opinion as to why that may be
                       
                      #11
                        Jimeats

                        • Total Posts: 3175
                        • Joined: 8/15/2005
                        • Location: Ipswich Ma
                        RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 1:38 PM (permalink)
                        I have an opinion as to why that MAY be. The water, the natural airborne yeasts, and the ovens. I once knew a baker that had to move his operation. He said that it would take over a year to achive the same quality bread that he was producing in the original location. Chow Jim
                         
                        #12
                          exsquidao

                          • Total Posts: 409
                          • Joined: 3/9/2007
                          • Location: shelton, CT
                          RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 1:47 PM (permalink)
                          It's always been said here that it is the water that makes the Apizza special, don't know why, don't really care just as long as it's a good pie, I do have a? for MH, were you living in NH recently enough (past 30 yrs) to remember Forbes Market on Forbes ave? that place used to make a great steak and cheese sub, real cheese no whiz.
                           
                          #13
                            Michael Hoffman

                            • Total Posts: 17804
                            • Joined: 7/1/2000
                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                            RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 1:54 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by porkbeaks

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by porkbeaks

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by porkbeaks

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

                            quote:
                            Originally posted by mikez629

                            No such thing-take a road trip!

                            A cheesesteak is a cheesesteak. It doesn't matter where it's made. All that matters is how, and anyone with thinly-sliced meat, some cheese and other accompaniments, plus a decent sub bun, can make the finest.


                            Totally agree. Same goes for hamburgers, breaded pork tenderloins, loosemeat/maid-rites/tavern sandwiches, pizza, etc. pb

                            I've never had a loosemeat/maid-rite/tavern or breaded pork tenderloin sandwich, so I can't comment on those. But I'm from New Haven, and I have to disagree about the apizza.


                            My point is that there's nothing inherent in the location that they are made that makes these food items any better than they would be if prepared somewhere else.

                            Ah, but it is impossible to make an appiza anywhere near as good as one from Pepe's, Sally's or The Spot in New Haven in a location other than New Haven.


                            Any opinion as to why that may be

                            Sure. Frank Pepe and Sally and Tony Consiglio.

                            Those guys founded the two greatest pizzerias in North America, and now The Spot, which I always preferred while growing up, is owned by Pepe's. The Consiglio's still operate Sally's and the Pepe's still run Frank Pepe's.

                            I'm a homer when it comes to apizza. But I expect you'll get the same reaction about the "best" apizza from most people who have eaten at Pepe's or Sally's, or both. There will be some who favor anther pizzeria in New Haven, Modern Apizza. (Disclaimer: I've never eaten at Modern.)
                             
                            #14
                              mikez629

                              • Total Posts: 307
                              • Joined: 1/15/2008
                              • Location: Oakland, NJ
                              RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 2:04 PM (permalink)
                              There is a difference in where you get the item-the bread in Philly is different than the bread you get in North Jersey. I totally makes a difference.
                               
                              #15
                                johnpalley

                                • Total Posts: 3
                                • Joined: 2/26/2008
                                • Location: medford, MA
                                RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                Jimeats, thanks for posting that info. ive been to bobs. there retty good but nothing even close to a real philly cheesesteak. i think the spot your talkin about in malden is the lebonnon street market which went out of business and is now called primos. please let me know because if your talkin about primos then im gonna check them out. i just wanted you to know that the best cheesesteak ive had in the boston area yet is pinnichios in harvard square, cambridge. if you could find out the name of that waltham spot also i would appreciate it. thanks

                                mikez629, take a road trip where? whats the closest place possible to boston?
                                 
                                #16
                                  wanderingjew

                                  • Total Posts: 7381
                                  • Joined: 1/18/2001
                                  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Wed, 02/27/08 2:52 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by johnpalley

                                  mikez629, take a road trip where? whats the closest place possible to boston?


                                  Philly...
                                  Although you can probably do just as good in South Jersey
                                   
                                  #17
                                    Jimeats

                                    • Total Posts: 3175
                                    • Joined: 8/15/2005
                                    • Location: Ipswich Ma
                                    RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Thu, 02/28/08 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                    The spot in Waltham is Carl's on Prospect St. off of Main St.
                                    Get the small the large is just too big and I'm a fairly big eater.
                                    My only fault with this place is the sub roll, not as good as I remember in Philly. No wizz at Carl's either, they use real cheese.
                                    I was unaware that the Lebanon Mkt. had changed hands. I can't seem to pass by the 621 on Rt.99 for my dineing pleasure when in the area.
                                    I had a great sandwich in the No. End right across the street from Bova's Bakery, Nino's? Only one size but the cheese steak was great. Chow Jim
                                     
                                    #18
                                      mikez629

                                      • Total Posts: 307
                                      • Joined: 1/15/2008
                                      • Location: Oakland, NJ
                                      RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Thu, 02/28/08 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by johnpalley

                                      Jimeats, thanks for posting that info. ive been to bobs. there retty good but nothing even close to a real philly cheesesteak. i think the spot your talkin about in malden is the lebonnon street market which went out of business and is now called primos. please let me know because if your talkin about primos then im gonna check them out. i just wanted you to know that the best cheesesteak ive had in the boston area yet is pinnichios in harvard square, cambridge. if you could find out the name of that waltham spot also i would appreciate it. thanks

                                      mikez629, take a road trip where? whats the closest place possible to boston?

                                      Road trip to Philly-you can hit several items on a roadfood list-you can hit Jersey Hotdogs on the way down/soft pretzels/cheesesteak/roast pork/roast beef,reading terminal market-take a weekend trip-its a nice city in the spring/summer.
                                       
                                      #19
                                        Jimeats

                                        • Total Posts: 3175
                                        • Joined: 8/15/2005
                                        • Location: Ipswich Ma
                                        RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Thu, 02/28/08 10:57 AM (permalink)
                                        I have to agree Philly is a nice city. But the only destination food spot for me would be Ralph's in So. Philly Mkt area. Great Italian food, some of the best I've had. Chow Jim
                                         
                                        #20
                                          johnpalley

                                          • Total Posts: 3
                                          • Joined: 2/26/2008
                                          • Location: medford, MA
                                          RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Thu, 02/28/08 2:18 PM (permalink)
                                          thanks everyone. if anyone knows anymore. please post
                                           
                                          #21
                                            Michael Hoffman

                                            • Total Posts: 17804
                                            • Joined: 7/1/2000
                                            • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                            RE: real cheesesteak in boston? please help Thu, 02/28/08 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by exsquidao

                                            It's always been said here that it is the water that makes the Apizza special, don't know why, don't really care just as long as it's a good pie, I do have a? for MH, were you living in NH recently enough (past 30 yrs) to remember Forbes Market on Forbes ave? that place used to make a great steak and cheese sub, real cheese no whiz.

                                            I don't remember Forbes Market, but I do remember Forbes Diner. And I sure don't recall ever even hearing of a steak and cheese sub in the New Haven area.
                                             
                                            #22
                                              Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

                                              Jump to:

                                              Current active users

                                              There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                              Icon Legend and Permission

                                              • New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

                                              2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com