The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

question about pictures in threads

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
question about pictures in threads Sun, 03/2/08 9:00 AM (permalink)
I was looking at a couple of threads I had posted with pictures in the Trip Reports forum and noticed that some of the pictures I had included are no longer there and now say "This image or video has been moved or deleted-Photobucket". Has anyone else had this happen? Any idea why? Can I re-insert the photo? Thanks.

wheregreggeats.com

RE: question about pictures in threads Sun, 03/2/08 9:32 AM (permalink)
    I'd guess photobucket deletes pictures as a matter of routine.

I try to only post pictures that are on websites I control or use the Upload Photos feature on Roadfood (but I think that feature is limited to Insiders.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
      RE: question about pictures in threads Sun, 03/2/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
      I had been using club photo a few years ago, they got sold or something and during the change all of mine got deleted. I'm sort of ticked because I had posted some good (IMHO) shtuff in the cooking forum.

Now I'm using photobucket, so far, so good.

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
        RE: question about pictures in threads Sun, 03/2/08 10:01 AM (permalink)
        I think I just answered my own question: I had deleted some photos from my Photobucket account as I had reached my limit of 1000 in the album. I didn't realize that deleting them would also delete them from places I had posted them. I figured if I had copied and pasted them, that they wouldn't be affected. Now I have a second account set up so I can add more photos.

Extreme Glow

RE: question about pictures in threads Sun, 03/2/08 10:20 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by billyboy

I think I just answered my own question: I had deleted some photos from my Photobucket account as I had reached my limit of 1000 in the album. I didn't realize that deleting them would also delete them from places I had posted them. I figured if I had copied and pasted them, that they wouldn't be affected. Now I have a second account set up so I can add more photos.

Yes, you answered your own question. Roadfood doesn't host the photos posted on forums unless you are a RF member and have uploaded the photos specifically to RF. Otherwise, what you are actually doing is posting a link to the photo that is actually hosted elsewhere such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. When you are looking at the forums, your browser follows the posted link and downloads a copy of the image from the third party host. Hence, if the image is deleted or moved on the third party host, the link on RF is no longer valid and no image.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
            RE: question about pictures in threads Sun, 03/2/08 4:21 PM (permalink)
            One other thing you should be aware of in Photobucket.com. If you make sub directories and move your photos they will also lose the link into Roadfood.com.

Photobucket has another service called Tinypic.com. There you can upload photos and paste the IMG link in here. The only problem with tinypic.com is you cannot manage your photos online like in Photobucket.com. But if you don't care once you've linked it makes no difference.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
              • No New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
              • Locked w/ New Messages
              • Locked w/o New Messages
              • Read Message
              • Post New Thread
              • Reply to message
              • Post New Poll
              • Submit Vote
              • Post reward post
              • Delete my own posts
              • Delete my own threads
              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com