Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Instant Mashed Potatoes

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 63 of 63
Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
RE: Instant Mashed Potatoes Tue, 04/8/08 1:24 AM (permalink)
Dearfolk,
Or, as I concocted in a fake letter to a friend in the eighth or ninth grade: "Dear Sir, I love to eat 3 or 4 packs of Borden's Instant Mashed Potatoes quickly followed by a couple quarts of Welchade. Sincerely Yours, B. Levi Overeat. BLO/at"
Maybe that's why I'm having so much truoble losing weight... it's the exploded purple ghost of B. Levi Overeat haunting me....
Untryingly, Ort. Carlton in Amazing 30601-Land.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Instant Mashed Potatoes Tue, 04/8/08 1:26 AM (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Or, as Bobby Darin said at the end of his all-but-forgotten 1960 hit "Artificial Flowers," "Gimme da real thing!"
    I concur, 100% (plus some).
    Folks, I just don't go for instant anything.
    From-Scratching The Surface, Ort. Carlton in Always-Edible Athens, Georgia.

Catracks

• Total Posts: 196
      RE: Instant Mashed Potatoes Tue, 04/8/08 1:52 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by sftreat

All of you upper crust snobs who have the gall to say I would NEVER serve instant potatoes make me gag. I suppose you roast and grind your own coffee beans and also grind your own peanuts for peanut butter. Oh yeah, and churn your own butter. Get off the horse and join the real world. We all use premade products every day. Every one every day. Got it?

I do grind my beans because Trader Joes makes a blend I love. I also have churned my own butter but it was more expensive and just the same as store bought. I get fresh peanut and cashew butter from my farmer's market. I do not have the ability to make other than farm cheese though, but I consider cheese to be a stratch staple. I can also make tortillas, but usually don't. I get them from a torillarilla that can do better than me. They do it from scratch.

In the real world it takes 10 minutes to boil potatoes and only a few more to mash them with salt, pepper, butter and milk. Instant potatoes are glutinous and don't really taste of the potato to me. This site is made up of food lovers who normally take their time and effort to produce or find a place with good tasting food.

I really have stopped most packaged, processed foods from coming into my kitchen. You can flavor noodles, potaoes and rice better from scratch. I will buy pre-made pasta, but the ingredients are simple and it is authentic enough. I can make it though. I also use some cake mixes because my baking is not yet up to par, but I am getting better. I can now make biscuits, pie crust and quick breads better than anything in a store. My huumus is better and cheaper too.

Today is ham and navy bean soup from scratch. No, I didn't grow the beans or smoke the ham, but the beans have been soaking and the ham bone when into the beans to simmer.

It's not about being snobby and upper crust. I got this way of cooking from my farm and peasant grandparents.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
        Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 63 of 63

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com