Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

Author
KimChee43
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 382
2003/09/26 14:12:14 (permalink)

Anybody Remember these Chicago Places?

I like to sit and reminisce sometimes on a cool autumn day...my thoughts often revolve around food and drink. I'm thinking about these Chicago places that I remember from my youth...anybody else remember these places and want to share their memories?

MATH IGLER'S...Our high school German Club would eat here once a year. They had "singing waiters". I remember one waiter chugging a whole stein of beer and then leading us in a round of "Schnitzelbank".

THE BROWN BEAR...Another German restaurant that the German Club visited just once. They had "singing waiters", too.

SHERLOCK'S HOME...Can't remember the address of this place, but "Jacque's" (now defunct) was in the same building. They served British pub fare. The decor reminded one of...well...Sherlock Holmes' flat. Wingback chairs, dark wood paneling, and so on. Their menu was printed on a faux British pound note.

A BAR THAT SPECIALIZED IN "COHASSET PUNCH"...Can't remember the name of the bar, but we'd see this place near the train station. There was a big neon sign in the shape of a lighthouse, if I'm not mistaken. My friend's mom (a native Chicagoan) told me once that they put a fresh peach in the bottom of the punch glass?

AN ASSEMBLY LINE TYPE OF STEAK PLACE...Our class stopped at this place for lunch once when I was in junior high. All I can remember is that you got this pretty big steak dinner for very little money. I remember T-bone steak, baked potato, corn on the cob were on the plate. It wasn't really a cafeteria, though. Does this place ring a bell with anybody? I don't know its name or whether it's even there anymore.

195 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1