The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47
Author Message
shanklemsw

  • Total Posts: 169
  • Joined: 5/10/2004
  • Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Sun, 03/16/08 9:52 AM (permalink)
I am a big fan of vinegar based Q, seein' as I was raised on it. We had red slaw in the school cafeteria when I was a kid. I make my own sauce, much like the ones posted here, but I add a lemon slice and no sugar. Too gooey.
 
#31
    Dr of BBQ

    • Total Posts: 3716
    • Joined: 10/11/2004
    • Location: Springfield, IL
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Sun, 03/16/08 10:47 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jellybear
    The reason why most NC BBQ Joints dont serve Ribs is because they are reserved for the Cooks.Really.And another reason is that after 8 or more hours on the Pit the ribs can be a little dried out and they are not as meaty.


    Where did you read, hear or come up with that?
    Jack
     
    #32
      rebeltruce

      • Total Posts: 698
      • Joined: 9/8/2006
      • Location: Culpeper, VA
      RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Mon, 03/17/08 2:32 PM (permalink)
      Here is my recipe. Simple but people seem to love it, I'm not sure even where I got the recipe from....I seem to remember it coming from a waitress at Willy's. A little place just outside of Colonial Beach, Va. As you can see it does have a slight amount of Brown Sugar in it.

      CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE

      1 Cup White Vinegar
      1 Cup Cider Vinegar
      1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
      1 Tablespoon Cayenne Pepper
      1 Tablespoon Tabasco or Franks
      1 Teaspoon Salt (table salt)
      1 Teaspoon Fresh Ground Black Pepper

      Mix everything together in a bottle. Let it sit for at least two days before using, good at room temp for up to 3 months.
       
      #33
        droberts621

        • Total Posts: 11
        • Joined: 12/30/2007
        • Location: Woodstock, GA
        RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Mon, 03/17/08 7:57 PM (permalink)
        Anybody agree or disagree w/ the fact that vinegar will continue to cook the meat (in it's own way) if mixed for any period of time. I don't cook whole hog for resturant service but if I did, I bet you that meat is tougher and drier 2 hours after that whole hog has been chopped and mixed w. vinegar. I do serve N.C. style vinegar sauce but all meat comes sauce on the side.
         
        #34
          roossy90

          • Total Posts: 6695
          • Joined: 8/15/2005
          • Location: columbus, oh
          RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Tue, 03/18/08 12:52 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by chewingthefat

          I like vinegar on Pork, I like it more on french fries.



          I dont like it on pork, like it on Fries, and love it on Brocolli and Greens!
          Rather taste the meat than the sauce. Gimme nekked Q with a dipping side of sauce. Let me handle the saucing of my meat!
           
          #35
            Robearjr

            • Total Posts: 1102
            • Joined: 6/17/2007
            • Location: Baltimore, MD
            RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Tue, 03/18/08 8:16 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by droberts621

            Anybody agree or disagree w/ the fact that vinegar will continue to cook the meat (in it's own way) if mixed for any period of time. I don't cook whole hog for resturant service but if I did, I bet you that meat is tougher and drier 2 hours after that whole hog has been chopped and mixed w. vinegar. I do serve N.C. style vinegar sauce but all meat comes sauce on the side.


            I never thought of it like that, but you could be right. It would be the same principle as ceviche, where the acidic lime juice cooks the fish.
             
            #36
              wingmanBBF

              • Total Posts: 49
              • Joined: 3/17/2008
              • Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Tue, 03/18/08 10:02 PM (permalink)
              Just a newbie here but it's also been my experience that the Eastern NC que has no sugar mixed with the vinegar.
              However, the chopped,(no mayo)slaw that's so delicios when added to the sandwich or, as my dad called it, pepper cabbage, does have a significant amoune of sugar, adding up to a sweet and sour taste in the sandwich.
              I love vinegar sauce but my favorite has always been low country yellow sauce. I still buy gallons by the case from Tom Bessingers(SP?), Maurice's brother. I could just never get used to Maurices mixing que with politics.
              When I grill pork chops I use a basting sauce of vinegar, crushed pepper flakes and butter that just brings out the taste of the pork in a subtle and beautiful way...also very quick and easy to heat up.
              I'm now on the edge of diabetes myself and have decided to start making my own version of Tom's with an artifical sweetener. i don't baste in the smoker so I don't have to worry about carmelizing...just a dipping sauce. I tried a simple book recipe and it came out real close so I'll go back to it without the sugar.
              This is a great site.
              Thanks all for welcoming a newbie.

              WingmanBBF
               
              #37
                Earl of Sandwich

                • Total Posts: 600
                • Joined: 12/21/2007
                • Location: hamilton, OH
                RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Wed, 03/19/08 10:35 PM (permalink)
                Welcome, Wingman.

                I myself have eaten the NC Q and while it doesn't appeal to me I can appreciate that others do. I've just not acquired the taste. I still eat it whenever I'm in NC.
                 
                #38
                  enginecapt

                  • Total Posts: 3486
                  • Joined: 6/4/2004
                  • Location: Fontana, CA
                  RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Fri, 03/21/08 9:17 PM (permalink)
                  Leave it and keep it far away. There's no place for the overpowering properties of vinegar(s) in my BBQ world.
                   
                  #39
                    WarToad

                    • Total Posts: 1787
                    • Joined: 3/23/2008
                    • Location: Minot, ND
                    RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Mon, 03/24/08 12:14 PM (permalink)
                    I've never had the opportunity to try a real vinagar based Q. I grew up in Iowa which if you could find Q, it was usually KC-style pork ribs.(And more often than not, there was a lot of "grilling" passed off as "BBQ") Here in Seattle, it's a split between Texas style, or KC style. I've yet to run into a NC Vinegar Q. Love to give it a try though.
                     
                    #40
                      lleechef

                      • Total Posts: 6208
                      • Joined: 3/22/2003
                      • Location: Gahanna, OH
                      RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Mon, 03/24/08 1:28 PM (permalink)
                      I LOVE vinegar based Q!! This is not surprising since I prefer savory/tart to anything sweet. When I was chef at the Black Cow Tap & Grill in Hamilton, MA I put a pulled pork sandwich with NC BBQ sauce on the lunch menu. Seemed like I was cooking 4 pork shoulders and making 4 gal. of sauce nearly every day. They loved it and me too!
                       
                      #41
                        Sundancer7

                        RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Mon, 03/24/08 3:06 PM (permalink)
                        I am not a fan of the vinegar based BBQ sauce of NC. I have tried it many times. From a personal point of view, I prefer a sweeter thicker sauce.

                        I still stop in NC for BBQ every time I travel through the area particualy in Greensboro, NC at Stameys. The place is always packed and I enjoy their BBQ although it is not my favorite. In addition, their hushpuppies are not what I familar with.

                        http://www.stameys.com/

                        Paul E. Smith
                        Knoxville, TN

                         
                        #42
                          surrys

                          • Total Posts: 1
                          • Joined: 3/28/2008
                          • Location: new haven, CT
                          RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Fri, 03/28/08 11:07 AM (permalink)

                          Eastern NC BBQ shouldn't be overpoweringly vinegary, just tart. There's a real focus on the meat out there, the sauce is really just a complement (the perfect complement) to some slow-cooked pig. Places like Parker's or Bill's in Wilson will typically have a bottle of their red-pepper-and-vinegar sauce on the table for those who want a little extra bite (along with some texas pete hot sauce), but it's not really needed. My family's from Eastern NC, near Greenville, so I'm understandably biased, but what they serve out there really is BBQ's platonic ideal: everything you need, nothing that you don't.
                           
                          #43
                            Baah Ben

                            • Total Posts: 3026
                            • Joined: 11/30/2001
                            • Location: Ormond Beach, FL
                            RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Fri, 03/28/08 11:11 AM (permalink)
                            Sundancer7 - I always wanted to try Stamey's and the Skylite Inn, too. Could you tell us a bit more about Stamey's? What's the "Q" like? Is it whole hog? What's different about their hush puppies? Wilbur's in Goldsboro makes fantastic hush puppies. Not crazy about their "Q" though.

                            One of the posters said that the reason nobody serves ribs in Eastern NC is that the kitchen help gets them? I think he was kidding, but who knows? If they do whole hog, do they just chop up all the meat including the rib meat?

                            I know at Bub Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC. they serve the whole hog ribs separately from the outside dark meat, inside light meat, the skin and the hash. I do not like the texture of whole hog ribs, but the taste is pretty good.

                            Actually, does anyone know if you can get ribs in Lexington, NC...Home of Western NC "Q" I don't think so. I think all they do on the west side of the state are smoke pork shoulders and butts and use a tomato based sauce.

                            Thanks for any info.
                             
                            #44
                              Captain Morgan

                              • Total Posts: 503
                              • Joined: 12/13/2005
                              • Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
                              RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Fri, 03/28/08 1:06 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by surrys


                              Eastern NC BBQ shouldn't be overpoweringly vinegary, just tart. There's a real focus on the meat out there, the sauce is really just a complement (the perfect complement) to some slow-cooked pig. Places like Parker's or Bill's in Wilson will typically have a bottle of their red-pepper-and-vinegar sauce on the table for those who want a little extra bite (along with some texas pete hot sauce), but it's not really needed. My family's from Eastern NC, near Greenville, so I'm understandably biased, but what they serve out there really is BBQ's platonic ideal: everything you need, nothing that you don't.




                              surry's speaks the truth. Eastern Carolina Q is seasoned with
                              the vinegar sauce, not coated in thick red sauce that covers up
                              the flavor of the meat. This is why everyone raves about North
                              Carolina bbq...it's the smoked meat.
                              Maybe folks could understand it better if eastern style sauce was
                              called seasoning instead of sauce.

                              Not trying to start a war with KC, Memphis or Texas, but I think
                              those places are actually known for their sauces, not their meat.
                              Of course, those who claim to be in the know also say good bbq needs
                              no sauce.


                               
                              #45
                                Jim in NC

                                • Total Posts: 186
                                • Joined: 7/10/2002
                                • Location: Lincoln Co., NC
                                RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Fri, 03/28/08 1:15 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Baah Ben

                                Sundancer7 - I always wanted to try Stamey's and the Skylite Inn, too. Could you tell us a bit more about Stamey's? What's the "Q" like? Is it whole hog? What's different about their hush puppies? Wilbur's in Goldsboro makes fantastic hush puppies. Not crazy about their "Q" though.

                                One of the posters said that the reason nobody serves ribs in Eastern NC is that the kitchen help gets them? I think he was kidding, but who knows? If they do whole hog, do they just chop up all the meat including the rib meat?

                                I know at Bub Sweatman's in Holly Hill, SC. they serve the whole hog ribs separately from the outside dark meat, inside light meat, the skin and the hash. I do not like the texture of whole hog ribs, but the taste is pretty good.

                                Actually, does anyone know if you can get ribs in Lexington, NC...Home of Western NC "Q" I don't think so. I think all they do on the west side of the state are smoke pork shoulders and butts and use a tomato based sauce.

                                Thanks for any info.


                                I grew up in Greensboro with Stamey's, Bob Petty's, Lambert's, Turner's and King's. Stamey's is Lexington-style, meaning it is whole shoulders not whole hog, the sauce has a bit of tomato product in it and the slaw is made with the barbecue sauce or dip. Stamey's uses a chopper for their chopped barbecue and the texture is much like that of many eastern-style barbecue joints. Shoulders are richer than whole hog meat, eliminating the need to chop fat and skin into the barbecue like they do at The Skylight Inn. Stamey's hushpuppies are about the size and shape of your thumb giving them a high outside-crunch ratio to the cornbread inside. They use very little, if any sugar in them.

                                Ideally, barbecue is served hot off the pit (wood cooked) and needs no sauce. Vinegar cuts the richness of the fattier meat and salt accents the flavor of the pork. Little else is required for a pig pickin'.
                                 
                                #46
                                  MellowRoast

                                  • Total Posts: 1928
                                  • Joined: 8/21/2007
                                  • Location: 'Nooga
                                  RE: NC vinegar based "Q" - Love it or leave it? Fri, 12/31/10 3:48 AM (permalink)
                                  I don't think I've had any sugar in that style bbq, either.  If I had, I would have left it on the table.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                    Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 47 of 47

                                    Jump to:

                                    Current active users

                                    There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                    Icon Legend and Permission

                                    • New Messages
                                    • No New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                    • Read Message
                                    • Post New Thread
                                    • Reply to message
                                    • Post New Poll
                                    • Submit Vote
                                    • Post reward post
                                    • Delete my own posts
                                    • Delete my own threads
                                    • Rate post

                                    2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com