The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

What recipe software do you use?

Chumley

• Total Posts: 182
What recipe software do you use? Fri, 09/26/03 10:28 PM (permalink)
In an unrelated thread, tiki heartily recommended MasterCook software. This got me wondering about what other software programs - if any - Roadfooders are using to manage their recipes.

So, what's on your pantry's PC? What do you like about it? What could be better?

seafarer john

RE: What recipe software do you use? Fri, 09/26/03 10:49 PM (permalink)
    I've always yearned for a "leftovers" recipe file that would be organized in such a way as to give ideas on how to use up all sorts of little bits and pieces of leftovers. Like: I've got some green beans, some rice, some chicken gravy, some beets, and roast pork. I'd like to be able to plug those items in and see what would come up.

Geoff Steinberg

• Total Posts: 27
      RE: What recipe software do you use? Fri, 09/26/03 11:29 PM (permalink)
      I don't use any software because I eat out so much anyway. I guess I use what ever software makes a Big Mac!!!

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
        RE: What recipe software do you use? Sat, 09/27/03 2:04 AM (permalink)
        mmmmmmmm I'm a 'puter geek and do a lot of beta testing and so on for companies. I have quite a few recipe and cooking programs: Mastercook, Accuchef, Living Cookbook, Cookware Deluxe, Kitchen Organizer and from my kitchen. All are good and I like them all for different reasons. Seafarer John, you can set up several of these applications I've just listed to do exactly that...

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
          RE: What recipe software do you use? Sat, 09/27/03 2:04 AM (permalink)
          Like you said.i am definatly a big fan of Mastercook---been using it to file stuff for a couple of cookbooks that i am writing. Its extememly versital and has proven to do MORE then i expect it do all the time. Alot of online recipe swappers like it because its designed to import and export recipes easily and quickly--try it --i know youll like it and its not real pricey--think i paid $9,99 on sale and it was worth every penny and then some!

Julia I

RE: What recipe software do you use? Sat, 09/27/03 10:37 AM (permalink)
            I've used a program called Mangia for years, and I'm very happy with it. It is fairly versatile and does everything that I need, although the vocabulary list, even though updatable, is a bit clunky. The only real problem is that it isn't being produced or updated any more, so I have to keep two operating systems running on my Mac: OS 9 for Mangia and OS X for everything else.

By the way, it appears that Sierra isn't producing MasterCook any more, either, so if any Roadfooders out there are interested in using that program, you'd better start looking for a copy now.

Chumley

RE: What recipe software do you use? Sun, 09/28/03 1:20 AM (permalink)
              Has anyone tried Cooken or Cooken Pro? I've seen their ads in Fine Cooking Magazine a couple of times.

redtressed

RE: What recipe software do you use? Sun, 09/28/03 5:26 AM (permalink)
                Maybe this will help some figure out what might be of interest to them:

Cookware Deluxe:
                CookWare Deluxe (formally known as CookWare 7.9) makes collecting and organizing your recipes really simple. Adding a recipe couldn't° be easier, just drag and drop your recipe from a text file into CookWare Deluxe, categorize it and you're finished!
                One of the many great features of CookWare Deluxe is it's ability to create a Shopping List. Imagine in just a few clicks you can have recipes and a shopping list ready to take to the market or maybe email it to your spouse for pick-up on the way home? Or send it to any email-ready handheld device.
                With CookWare Deluxe, rather than searching for information, it comes to you with one click! Such as emailing, food pairing, quantity conversions, cooking temperatures and much more! Additionally, if you have Internet access, helpful Internet resources are available from within CookWare deluxe. The ability to find a recipe in CookWare Deluxe is second to none.
                You can find a recipe by using any combination of recipe name, course, region, ingredient, rating and more. It's simple and fast! ° You can print single recipes or a menu, even a small index for quick reference. Maybe you'd like to put your recipes into a three-ring binder, CookWare Deluxe prints tab-like descriptions for each recipe so you can easily find them. You can add details to a recipe such as a photo, notes and much more. If you'd like to add recipes to CookWare Deluxe (unlimited number can be added) additional recipes can found with a couple clicks by using a built-in Web Resource Helper - spend your time cooking recipes not searching and typing them. If you need to convert serving sizes or ounces to liters you can use the built-in conversion helper. You can also send a recipe to your friends via e-mail with just a a click. The built-in help makes CookWare Deluxe even easier to use. Includes more than 700 handpicked, wonderful recipes. If you love good food, this will make a great addition to your kitchen. http://www.digitalfriedchicken.com/CookWare.html

Accuchef:

AccuChef™ is recipe software that allows you to collect, exchange and organize your recipes and much more. Print out cookbooks, create web pages, print a shopping list (in store aisle order), organize your coupons, perform nutritional analysis, cost your recipes, print out index cards, email recipes to your friends, design your own output or type in ingredients you have on hand and let it suggest recipes you can make!

From My Kitchen:

From My Kitchen can be used without any outside connectivity, but some of its most important features depend upon it! You can create and receive recipe files from your friends and family members via floppy disk - but why not attach them to email messages? You will also want to periodically take a look at what recipes are being sent to the FROM MY KITCHEN COOKBOOK - the only way is with an Internet connection. You will also be receiving NEWS - such as when upgrades are available - with the same Internet connection.

http://www.cebsys.com

Judy's Kitchen:

WHAT? Judy's Kitchen is a high-tech cooking gadget that saves your time, everyday. Create grocery shopping lists, file your recipes (optionally analyze nutrition), and plan meals - Judy's Kitchen can even recommend a delicious meal for you.

WHO? Judy's Kitchen is sure to satisfy both the novice cook and experienced chef. It's fun and easy-to-use whether employed as a basic organizational tool, or complete solution for running your family kitchen. If you cook all the time, would like to cook more, or are just looking for some starting guidance, Judy's Kitchen is for you.
                WHY? Because everybody enjoys a good home cooked meal, it's just harder and harder to find the time. Judy's Kitchen makes cooking at home as convenient as possible, whether you want to put on your culinary hat once a week, twice, or almost every day.

http://judyskitchen.net

Electronic Recipe Manager:

The Electronic Recipe Manager is the most user friendly recipe
                management software on the web. It includes addition of new
                recipes, search engine, cabinets, menus & recipe groups,
                shopping list creation, import/export functionality, recipe
                resizing, and more! If you have ever downloaded a recipe manager
                off of the web and wished it were just more simple to use, this
                package is for you.

URL: http://www.ForYourInfoTech.com/

Besides Mastercook, these are the ones that I own right now. I can't recommend one over the other , because it all depends on what you want to do. Hope this helped:)

redtressed

RE: What recipe software do you use? Sun, 09/28/03 5:31 AM (permalink)
                  btw....all have downloadable trials of these on their site.

Chumley

RE: What recipe software do you use? Sun, 09/28/03 9:19 AM (permalink)
                    redtressed, that was brilliant! Thank you so much!

For my purposes, Cookware Deluxe and Electronic Recipe Manager both look great. ERM has an intriguing add-on program that allows you to do Napster-like file sharing of recipes with anyone else who is online with the same program. That's pretty creative!

Accuchef also looks good and it seems to have the functionality that seafarer john was looking for -- the ability to enter in ingredients and get the program to recommend a recipe. BTW, Accuchef's website is http://www.accuchef.com.

redtressed

RE: What recipe software do you use? Sun, 09/28/03 5:47 PM (permalink)
                      Glad to be of service

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                        RE: What recipe software do you use? Mon, 09/29/03 9:24 AM (permalink)
                        I keep most of my recipes in my head, and you can't get much softer than that!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com