visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics

Author
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
2008/03/18 15:44:06 (permalink)

visit to Jersey Joe's (Italian Hot Dogs) pics

I went to Jersey Joe's on March 17th. (after my romp at Harold's Deli!) This joint is located in Port Monmouth, right next to Keansburg.

www.jjoes.com

I had read on Chowhound about their being some great Italian Hot Dogs here. Boy, were they right!

Here's the owner , Frank, at the grill. As you can see, this is all "Jimmy Buff's style". Don't those dogs look good ?

Are you familiar with this place yet, John Fox ?
I think it would make a great addition to our NJ hot dog tour in Sept.
Here's Frank again, with the finished product.

He told me he's got it down to a science, as he's got to use just the right amount of oil to get the potatoes just right. They were crispy, juicy, but not greasy! Said if he does'nt use enough oil , they come out too thin like potato chips.

Here's my double dog. It was definitely the real thing!!
It costs $7.00, which seems to be the going rate in NJ for double dogs

Now the question in everyones minds' IS : Just what brand hot dogs do they use ?
Frank said "Bests, of course". Hear that, John ? (same as Jimmy Buff's)
And there's our answer.

He said the Munchmobile (Star Ledger newspaper feature section) was there , but way back in 2003. I think he's overdue for our hot dog tour. He said he's only got seating for 20, but we can gladly sit at picnic tables outside. (hey, at Tommy's in Elizabeth, all we had was a curb to sit on) (this will be an upgrade!)

I also found out a little history about the place. He said "Joe" was his dad, who passed away. Jersey Joe's originally opened in 1960, and operated till 1995.

Then , it was closed from 1995 till 2003, which may be why some of us (including me) had'nt heard of it. It is making a comeback, of sorts. I hope I can help spread the word.

69 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1