The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Crawfish Boil

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1055
Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 11:58 AM (permalink)
How about discussing a crawfish boil. Never been to one but just read an article and I am very intrigued.

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
    RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 12:06 PM (permalink)
    forget those little fellers, go get yourself a couple of nice 1 1/2 lb. Mainers and really enjoy.

BBq King

• Total Posts: 123
      RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 12:19 PM (permalink)
      There isn't much better than eating Mud Bugs (including sucking the heads) and drinking a couple of cold beers with some friends unless you add in some fresh, salty oysters.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
        RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 4:59 PM (permalink)
        brisketboy, I know there are several threads dealing with this subject, but here's how I do it.

Go to louisianafishfry.com and get some crawfish, crab and shrimp boil.

You want to do this outside. Bring a big pot of water to a boil. Add the spice pack and wait about 5 minutes. Then add cubed red potatoes with the skin. Wait five minutes and add chunks of corn on the cob and smoked cajun sausage. Wait 5 minutes then add the live crawfish.(order online). Wait 5 minutes, then shut the heat off and add shrimp. Let the pot sit for about 10 minutes. Spread everything across a table layered with newspaper and enjoy.

Note: Must have massive amount of beer available.

X1

• Total Posts: 937
          RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 5:09 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by BBq King

There isn't much better than eating Mud Bugs (including sucking the heads) and drinking a couple of cold beers with some friends unless you add in some fresh, salty oysters.

THIS!!! Oh, this!!!!

I miss Crawfish so much!
          Dipping out the yellow fat with my pinky finger..sucking the juices out of the heads...feeling the delicious burn at the back of my throat and in my sinuses....eating til my fingers are pruney and I'm covered in Crawfish boil juice......

*cries*

baileysoriginal

• Total Posts: 758
            RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 5:27 PM (permalink)
            I'm sure that 007bondjb can probably give you some good pointers on crawfish - one good thing to do before cooking them, though, is to purge them, meaning washing them in a large cooler with the the drain open until the water is clear and you get all the trash out - and any dead crawfish.

Everyone had their own favorite seasonings for the boil - I like them pretty spicy.

Ice cold beer is a must - and never feel guilty about eating so many - once I peeled them for a crawfish pie and it took forever to get four cups so you're not eating as much as you think.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
              RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
              Most of the online sources for crawfish purge the for you. I just give them a little bath with the hose and drop'em in the water.

baileysoriginal

RE: Crawfish Boil Wed, 03/26/08 10:57 PM (permalink)
                We get ours from the wilds of Mississippi and Arkansas so they require a little extra effort.

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
                  RE: Crawfish Boil Sat, 03/29/08 11:57 AM (permalink)
                  We have crawfish boils at least once every two weeks or so, in season. My cousin is a crawfisherman (St. Martinville, LA) so we get good prices and great crawfish.

Has anyone ever heard of the 3-6-12 method. My dad may have made it up, but it works on shrimp, crawfish, and crabs, in that order. Method - bring water (little seasoning) to a boil in covered pot, Put in seafood, cover, and return to a boil. When you see steam, set your timer - 3 minutes for shrimp (I do 2!), 6 for crawfish, and 12 for crabs. Turn off burner and let "soak" for a few minutes. Drain and put in an old icechest. Season liberally and cover for 10 minutes or so. Eat!!! I know many people like to season water before, but to me it's a waste. A few lemons (not too many), a couple of onions and a little crab boil at first is fine.

I don't know if this is the best method ever, but it always works for us. No one has ever complained.

Remember to save crawfish heads for the next bisque. I cleaned 400 heads on March 23 (birthday boil - daughter 12, grandparents 87 & 88. My fingers are still a little marked up, but I know the bisque that maw will make will more than make up for it!

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6070
                    RE: Crawfish Boil Sat, 03/29/08 11:59 AM (permalink)
                    Crawfish heads...

cy_dugas

RE: Crawfish Boil Sat, 03/29/08 12:24 PM (permalink)
                      We stuff our crawfish heads for bisque; clean well,removing eyes & gunk. Fix stuffing (made with crawfish tails, "fat" and filler, and bake heads for a while (until browned). Add to stew (crawfish with dark roux, thinner than gumbo but thicker than etouffee) and let cook. I could go into a detailed recipe, but I think I already did in the bisque post.

Many people don't stuff the heads...it's sure easier, but I think the heads add to the bisque, and make it fun to compete. We use bowls, and place as many eaten heads around the rim. The first person to fill his bowl rim gets another serving. How much better a prize could there be.

dlcampan

• Total Posts: 38
                        RE: Crawfish Boil Sat, 05/31/08 9:41 AM (permalink)
                        Has anyone ever tried selling them at events?
                        I have 50 lbs in my frig at the moment and doing a crawfish boil tomorrow. My problem has been keeping them alive until the day of the event as Lousiana distributor's want to ship them SW Air Cargo.

Twice, the shipping company has dropped the ball. This time I had to drive 100 miles to pick them up, as they got on the wrong plane!!!

Luckily, they were iced well and didn't lose much product.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          RE: Crawfish Boil Thu, 06/5/08 4:51 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by leethebard

Crawfish heads...

Damn Yankee!!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                            RE: Crawfish Boil Thu, 06/5/08 5:20 PM (permalink)
                            40 lbs of mudbugs
                            53 oz jar zatarains pro boil
                            8 lemons
                            minced garlic (lots)
                            andouille
                            mushrooms
                            onions
                            corn
                            fresh corn shuck and broke in half

add water about halway up your mudbug pot
                            bring to a boil
                            add crawfish pro boil
                            add lemon juice and garlic
                            boil 2-3 minutes to make sure everything is blended

add veggies cook 10-15 minutes or until the taters are just tender
                            add crawfish boil at a rolling boil for 12 minutes
                            turn off heat let sit 10-15 minutes

Lift strainer basket out & let drain

Dump onto a makeshift (plywood & sawhorses) table lined with newspaper

dig in

keep on hand

Lots of paper towels
                            lots of cold adult beverages

crank up

Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band

Laissez les bons temp rouler

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                              RE: Crawfish Boil Thu, 06/5/08 6:54 PM (permalink)
                              Crawfish Boil is one of the best meals I've ever had.

We had reservations at a very pricey (Versailles) restaurant in New Orleans and went back to our room to change for dinner.

When we were driving in the parking lot we smelled something that was just incredible. There were a couple of guys in the lot unloading the basket in a couple huge pots.

We asked about it, went back to our room to cancel the reservations, went downstairs to the pub and had eat all you want crawfish, corn and potatoes for $5!

If I could only find a place in Los Angeles that did this!

baileysoriginal

RE: Crawfish Boil Tue, 06/10/08 11:08 PM (permalink)
                                Cajunking - that's exactly the way we do it - when we fix them with all the trimmings. Sometimes we get anxious and just boil them with the Zatarian's seasoning and lemon. After all, the crawfish are the stars of the show anyway.

I'm wanting to cook some now - or maybe I should say, eat some now.

They know they're good.

cy_dugas

Re:Crawfish Boil Sat, 02/28/09 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                  Well, it's Lent, so time for crawfish boils again!  What a "penance" for us!!!

For those who do boil crawfish (or other seafood) do y'all add anything besides onions, potatoes or corn?

We like to add smoked sausage first and I think the extra oil from the sausage helps to make the crawfish easier to peel, besides adding flavor.  I also like to throw in a few whole heads of garlic and whole mushrooms.  They absorb the seasonings well and are good the next day for another meal (maybe a potato salad w/crawfish, garlic, mushrooms and leftover dipping sauce.

I've heard of people adding whole artichokes and cabbage, but never have.

Any comments?

cy

euclid

• Total Posts: 191
                                    Re:Crawfish Boil Sun, 03/1/09 9:46 AM (permalink)
                                       I used to hold sales meetings in NO and fell hard for the little guys. This thread has inspired a great urge to order some.
                                       Any suggestions regarding distributors for ordering the bugs already boiled and shipped directly to my home? I used to order them from Deanies Seafood in NO and they were wonderful. My understanding is that Deanies has closed.
                                       Any suggestions would be great! And by the way. When I do a shrimp boil, the artichoke always makes the cut.

euclid

• Total Posts: 191
                                      Re:Crawfish Boil Sun, 03/1/09 11:54 AM (permalink)
                                         Quick note. I found Deanies is still open and they are shipping me crawfish, oysters and crawfish boudin for dinner Wednesday. Fed Ex is a big part of the bill but still cheaper than heading down there.
                                         I have eaten at Deanies and also had them ship me bugs and shrimp. Five Star!!!
                                                                         DeaniesSeafood.com
                                                                         !-800-662-2586

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                                        Re:Crawfish Boil Tue, 03/24/09 1:33 PM (permalink)
                                        we use our turkey fryer contraption to make crayfish boils (and crab for that matter). Lotsa water, season liberally with what ever your fancy and boil with red Bs and corn. Drain and dump on a big table and knock yourself out for 2-3 hours of eating...its more a social thing than an eating thing.......bkk

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
                                          Re:Crawfish Boil Thu, 03/26/09 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                          CajunKing, where do you get the Proboil? I used to get it here at a grocery that closed and I haven't been able to find any more.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:Crawfish Boil Fri, 03/27/09 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                            As I am exiled to Damn Yankee territory I get mine through Cajun Grocer

http://www.cajungrocer.com/

I usually place an order every other month for things I miss.
                                            They have this frozen dish "Lena's Crawfish Fettucine" that I crave.

The cajun shake from cajun injector is THE BEST all around cajun seasoning I have ever tasted, and I have to get it from Cajun Grocer.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                              Re:Crawfish Boil Fri, 03/27/09 3:06 PM (permalink)
                                              Zatarains Pro Boil

Zatarains site has it too and cheaper

canopyclubcafe

• Total Posts: 27
                                                Re:Crawfish Boil Thu, 06/4/09 1:25 AM (permalink)

Go to louisianafishfry.com and get some crawfish, crab and shrimp boil.

It's gotta be Zatarains! We like the liquid,
                                                but the powder in the big jar is good too.

Michael

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                                  Re:Crawfish Boil Thu, 06/4/09 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  Check out the Crawfish boil at Gator Cove reported on here.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Elvis-Cajun-Crawfish-and-Alligators-A-Two-Week-RV-Tour-m508868.aspx

Just a teaser...

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                                    Re:Crawfish Boil Thu, 06/4/09 3:25 PM (permalink)

CajunKing, Did you notice the sashami grade redfish from the cajungrocer site?  Product of China, scary these days due to pollution, contamination and all around lack of quality control!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                      • No New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                      • Read Message
                                                      • Post New Thread
                                                      • Reply to message
                                                      • Post New Poll
                                                      • Submit Vote
                                                      • Post reward post
                                                      • Delete my own posts
                                                      • Delete my own threads
                                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com