The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
Portland's Best Eats, An Ongoing Discussion Tue, 04/15/08 9:23 AM (permalink)
On October 5th, 2007,the Portland Oregonian printed its annual restaurant guide. It called itself Portland A to Z and provided an extensive list of dishes and where to get them in the city. In the interest of objective information, the Chips family has been sampling these places and are now ready to begin our reports to Roadfood readers about our experiences. Pictures will be added to some of the places as they become available,

(1) Thien Hong-Salt and Pepper Squid
6747 N.E. Sandy
Portland (503)281-1247

This is located in the heart of the city's Asian restaurant row on Sandy Blvd.. My son Sam described this dish as eating aliens that looked like fear factor food but were crunchy and delicious. Onions, scallions and the crusty tentacles are fried expertly and they are crispy , not soggy when you bite into them and they are filled with a heady mix of salt and pepper.
Thien Hong is usually filled with Asian families from 8 to 80. it is noisy and boisterous. I love its ambience and its squid
(2) Dove Vivi-Zucotto Cake
2727 N.E. Glisan
Portland(503)-239-4444
Zucotto cake is a ridiculously rich combo of super high butterfat cream and melted bittersweet chocolate served over amaretto and brandy soaked ladyfingers. Slices are huge and filling, the tastes combining in your mouth for a rich and sweet treat.
(3) Tortilleria y Tienda de Leon- Tamales
16223 N.E. Glisan St
Gresham-(503)-255-4356
Tamales are an incredibly labor intensive food and are not always served on a daily basis in Mexican restaurants. This Mexican grocery on the outskirts of Portland serves them up every day. the sweetcorn masa meal mixed with shredded pork is Trudy's favorite but Sam and I prefer the spicier cheese version. The store is a real grocery and stocked with Jarritos and Penafiel sodas and Mexican and American pastries produced by the on-site bakery.

<message edited by mr chips on Thu, 07/15/10 9:26 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com