Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Certified CZECH's ???

Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 69 of 69
mayor al

• Total Posts: 15059
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Tue, 09/18/07 3:43 PM (permalink)
Michael,
If you head into town(less than a mile) on the road that connects to the freeway, Cross the RR Tracks and the restaurant (name forgotten) is on the left at that intersection. A second place is on the cross street that runs beside the tracks. Cross the tracks then Turn left onto it and the restaurants (both of them) are on your right...one on the corner and one about a block north. We ate at the one on the corner.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Tue, 09/18/07 8:00 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Michael,
    If you head into town(less than a mile) on the road that connects to the freeway, Cross the RR Tracks and the restaurant (name forgotten) is on the left at that intersection. A second place is on the cross street that runs beside the tracks. Cross the tracks then Turn left onto it and the restaurants (both of them) are on your right...one on the corner and one about a block north. We ate at the one on the corner.

Thanks, Al. I'll look for them the next time I go to Austin.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
      RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Fri, 09/28/07 3:09 PM (permalink)

OK, I have sorted thru the posts on this thread and need some further listings and more info, if anyone has it, about CZECH restaurants in the Chicago area. We are going to visit the Cicero- Berwyn area in Mid-October to photograph some of the locations where my family lived/worked and attended school back in the 1920's. This is part of our Family History project. I know the neighborhoods have changed, and we aren't planning to walk the streets at night or anything else real dumb. We would like to find some good Czech food in the area for lunch and or supper (weekday). We have already been to the BOHEMIAN CRYSTAL and have noted the Riverside Restaurant in Riverside and the KLAS in Berwyn. Any Other Suggestions or recommendations??

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
        RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Sat, 09/29/07 3:56 PM (permalink)
        Here is a list of Czech restaurants in the USA from the Czech Embassy in Washington DC.

http://www.mzv.cz/wwwo/default.asp?ido=15823&idj=2&amb=87&ParentIDO=

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Sat, 09/29/07 6:49 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the list, That is now filed under Good Food here in Indiana. we will try some of those places on future trips.

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
            RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Sun, 09/30/07 9:50 AM (permalink)
            Mr. Bowen:

You may want to do a search for 'czech' on these forums. I've seen some relevant postings w/ pix.

http://lthforum.com/bb/index.php

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Sun, 09/30/07 1:22 PM (permalink)
              Thanks again. I tried that link, but get an error message each time. I have several 'Czech Cultural' links like the one you gave me earlier, so I am satisfied that I have more info than I can ever use !!

I have several elderly relatives who I have interviewed for names, addresses and locations for things like family homes, business locations and schools. We will be busy the morning we are in Cicero finding and photographing these places...but the photos add so much to the family history notes we are creating.

We aren't going far enough west to stop in Minnesota or Nebraska at the Czech places there.

We will be fairly close to Hillsboro, WI, another town noted for a Czech festival during the summer. Does anyone know of a Czech restaurant there????

ALSO, Has anyone tried the commercial version of the "Knedlicki"(sp) Bread Dumplings that are like bread dough...you buy two 'Loaves' in a bag, then take them and boil them at home. Reminds me of U-Bake Pizza!! Anyway I see them in some of the food descriptions and note they are available in many locations in the area. I just wondered if anyone has tried them??? Here is a link to their factory.
              http://www.josiesdumplings.com/p1.htm

ChiTownDiner

RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Tue, 10/2/07 9:23 AM (permalink)
                Al - Bread dumplings are my favorite. As we live a few blocks from the Bohemian Crystal, they sell a full steamed loaf and a pint of gravy for $3.00 or $4.00. They are open all holidays so we just drive over and pick them up. If we get them early, we use a steamer screen over a fry pan of boiling water and cover them with foil for 2 minutes...PERFECT! Most of my family uses Josie's and like them.

I grew up in Riverside and the Riverside Czech Lodge were favorites of mine. Same with Klas and Old Prague. Try this link for other ideas... http://chicago.metromix.com/facets/restaurants/topic.restaurants.cuisine.european.czech - and on it, the Bohemina Garden does lots of advertising.

If you make the Crystal, let me know. Would love to join you as long as it's not during a Cub's game!

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Certified CZECH's ??? Tue, 10/2/07 3:39 PM (permalink)

Gregg,
                  We aren't sure how the timing of our photo-mission will work out (as of now), but will keep in mind a possible meet. Thanks for the tip on the dumplings. I love them too!
                  AL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                    Change Page: < 123 | Showing page 3 of 3, messages 61 to 69 of 69

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com