San Juan, Puerto Rico RoadFood

Author
joerogo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4544
2008/04/23 11:18:52 (permalink)

San Juan, Puerto Rico RoadFood

I just got back from a short trip to San Juan. Before I list my three favorite RoadFood spots, let me tell you about what I encounted at my hotel.

I stayed at the Caribe Hilton. I like this property because its away from the tourist areas and close to everything. I didn't plan on using this picture in a trip report, but I want to give an overview of the conflict I encountered.

[img]

Please Don't tell my wife I put her picture on the internet, She'll kill me. To the right of my wife in Fort San Jeronimo. To the left of my wife is a new building being built by Hilton on the acess road to the Fort. This has sparked a major protest in the area. Everywhere went went around the property we encountered armed riot police. I didn't take pictures of the police because they didn't look too friendly.

The protesters have built a tent city around the front of the construction area.

[img]

This used to mark the entrance to the Fort. The protesters want the construction to stop and the building torn down. The day before we arrived they breached the security and a mini riot was quelled

[img]

Now the food. Every morning I walk over to the Condado area just past the Condado Plaza Hotel to The Hacienda.

[img]

The Huevos rancheros are some of the best. Homemade corn tortillas, beans and a red chili sauce. I call San Juan the Land of the $22 breakfast. Breakfast at The Hacienda in $6.75 including coffee and juice.

[img

And its more than just the food. Here is the view from my table.

[img]

My next stop is in Old San Juan. Rumor has it that this place invented the Pina Colada. Barrachina also has great Puerto Rican food. You can dine in the open piazza or air conditioned rooms.

[img]

Here is a shot of the menu.

[img]

My favorite is the Chicken Mofongo. Mashed plaintains covered with shredded chicken and a red creole sauce.

[/img]

My wife had the steak fajita. The steak was thick but tender with a crisp exterior. The flavor was excellent.

4/23/2008 [/img]

This is the point where my girls go shopping and I find somewhere to hang out. We took our traditional picture of my daughter Maria in front of Maria's Bar. They shopped, I drank.

No trip to San Juan is complete until you had a burger at El Hamburguer

[/img][/im

First you get the fixens

Then the hockey puck shaped burger arrives. Fresh and moist.

[img]

Ask anyone in San Juan where the best burger is and they will send you here.[/img][/img][/img]

31 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1