Captiva Island, FL

Author
cavandre
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1630
2008/04/25 14:06:19 (permalink)

Captiva Island, FL

We're going there for a long weekend in May.

I've searched the threads but the info is a little dated.

Has anyone been there recently? Any info on where to eat (or where not to eat) would be appreciated.

13 Replies Related Threads

THAYWARD
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/04/25 14:16:51 (permalink)
    Just there last March. Highly recommend RC Otters on Captiva, also Doc Ford's on Sanibel. Too many good places to list them all but here's some: Island Cow, Hungry Heron, Cheeburger-Cheeburger, Lazy Flamingo, The Mucky Duck, The Green Flash. The Bubble Room for it's atmosphere and decor, but not especially for it's food. They do have wonderful desserts for take-out also. They say everyone should go there once, I did, and that was enough for me...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/04/25 15:04:27 (permalink)
    My experience with the Bubble Room was very good. I first went there 25 years ago.

I have always enjoyed their food.

http://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/frameset.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    porkbeaks
    • Total Posts : 2217
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/04/25 15:21:03 (permalink)
    I agree with the rec for Island Cow and Cheeburger-Cheeburger. The Bubble Room is pretty quirky and the cake is good. The food isn't what it was 10-15 years ago.[url='http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34481-d479745-Reviews-Bubble_Room_Restaurant-Captiva_Island_Florida.html']Here[/url] are some reviews from TripAdvisor. I agree with the "naysayers". pb
    THAYWARD
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/04/25 17:06:26 (permalink)
    The food was good at the Bubble Room, but the portions are huge! Don't try to share an entree either, I don't remember the policy exactly, but it was something like charging the other person a minimum entree fee just to get an extra plate. Instantly p*ssed-off, I stopped with just a drink, and smiled each time they checked to see if I was chewing anything!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/04/25 17:25:01 (permalink)
    I am sorry to hear the reports on the Bubble Room. It use to be my favorite.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    cavandre
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/27 11:01:09 (permalink)
    First off, thanks to everyone for the tips. The Better Half (yeah...I'm old school & won't go for the BH shortcut.) & I just got back from a week-end on Captiva. I just want to share some observations of what we ran into during our stay.

Mucky Duck: Went there Fri. night to see the sunset & the view was great. We asked about getting a table & was informed it would be about a 1.5 hour wait. I'm sorry, but I won't wait that long even if Emeril was doing the cooking. Also thought that it was a little weird in that we asked the question at 8:20 pm & they supposedly only serve until 9pm. The math didn't make sense.

Keylime Bistro: This place was very disappointing! We had dinner here on Friday night. From the daily specials, we ordered a baked grouper stuffed with crab & shrimp ($35). This thing was so dry that only 1/3 was eaten. To the restaurant's credit, when we informed them of this, they took it off the bill. The second entree came off the regular menu & was described as tempura shrimp with a orange marmalade & horseradish sauce ($26). Our wait-person warned me that it wasn't really a tempura coating, but more of a batter. She tried to warn me & I should have listened to her! The coating was dreadful...heavy, tasteless & with absolutely no crispness to it. The really sad part was that once I got the breading off them, the shrimp were large & of very good quality. The sauce tasted like someone openned a jar of orange marmalade & put the tinniest bit of horseradish in it. An aside to management...At these prices the sauce shouln't come in a disposable plactic cup (it was a larger version of what McDonalds has you pump ketchup into.) I hate to really knock a place after only one shot, but based on our visit I feel that this place has an ambitious & pricey menu that their kitchen just can't or doesn't care enough to try to execute.

Captiva Cantina: It's hard to say. We went there for dinner on Sat. It had been really hot on Captiva both Friday & Saturday. (Daytime highs in the 90's & still in the upper 80's when you were going out for dinner.) I was looking forward to one of the cold "Mexican" salad items on the menu. After we sat down, we were informed that the restaurant had run out of lettuce, so none of the salads were available & things like tacos that normally come with lettuce would be served without it. We were both forced into choosing something that we really didn't want, so I think this really effected our objectivity of the food; hence, no real review of the food.

R.C. Otters: We had two solid breakfasts here. Nothing fancy, just good solid breakfast stuff, at reasonable (by Captiva standards) prices.

Green Flash: We went there with another couple & had our best dinner on Captiva. Three out of four really enjoyed their meal, with a fourth thinking that their "Bronzed Mahi" was a little dry. The only place on Captiva that I would really like to return to.

Bubble Room: With really diverse feedback on this place, we didn't try to eat here. We did however stop in for a after dinner drink. All the dining rooms were packed. We didn't notice that the place needed a good cleaning as a lot of posts on various sites have mentioned. We saw many desserts being served & reading how big they are does not really prepare you for actually seeing one for yourself. Considering the other meals we had over the weekend, my thoughts are that eating here is probably a better option than others we endured. Curious sidebar...our drinks here were the cheapest on the island (My B&B was a strangely priced $6.13, before tax.)

Doc Ford's: We were roaming around Sanibel on Sat. afternoon. In need of refreshment, we stopped here on the way home. As I mentioned, it was hot, so the the good a/c & tinted windows were a major relief from the weather. The mojito was a hit (not too sweet) & it was a tough choice deciding which of the many draft beer to choose. We split an very enjoyable appetizer. The menu is pub grub, with a lot of fish twists. From our experience, we won't hestitate to try the place for a full meal.

That's our report & if it seems that we won't return to Captiva for the food; it's true.
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 135
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/28 04:26:18 (permalink)
    You were right in leaving the Mucky Duck. A friend suggested I try their steaks. I waited over 2 hours for a table just to get one of the worst meals I've ever had and a rude server to boot.

One place really sticks out in my memory on Sanibel. The Thistle Lodge at Casa Ybel was excellent. Had a beautiful view of the Gulf and I have to say their crab cakes were fantastic.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/28 04:43:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

My experience with the Bubble Room was very good. I first went there 25 years ago.

I have always enjoyed their food.

http://www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com/frameset.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Paul......... 25 years ago?...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/28 04:47:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cavandre

a 1.5 hour wait. I'm sorry, but I won't wait that long even if Emeril was doing the cooking.

Oh.......thats scary.. you must really like garlic and butter. TONS OF it.

SOrry, but to each their own, and I wouldnt wait 15 minutes if Emeril was cooking, as I am sure I would be on the potty the whole next day.... IF he had HIS chefs cooking like he does on his show's.
    cavandre
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/30 08:58:03 (permalink)
    Best part of Captiva...

Sfreader
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/30 09:25:16 (permalink)
    A day after I visited Doc Ford's, a flight delay added hours to my trip home. I finished my travel book and while looking for something additional in the airport bookstore, decided to try the first of the Doc Ford books. I enjoyed it and have since read the whole mystery/adventure series.

Keith
    cavandre
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/30 13:01:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sfreader

A day after I visited Doc Ford's, a flight delay added hours to my trip home. I finished my travel book and while looking for something additional in the airport bookstore, decided to try the first of the Doc Ford books. I enjoyed it and have since read the whole mystery/adventure series.

Keith

Keith,

For us it was the other way round...we had read the books & went looking for the restaurant. Wasn't disappointed with either!
    charlottesailor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Captiva Island, FL 2008/05/31 07:15:23 (permalink)
    A hamburger by the pool at Tween Waters hotel
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1