Iowa pork - Kalmes & Delancey's

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
2008/04/28 14:46:49 (permalink)

Iowa pork - Kalmes & Delancey's

Last week my wife and I had a chance to stop at Kalmes Restaurant in St. Donatus, Iowa; I ordered the pork tenderloin sandwich and she had a bacon cheeseburger.

The menu says it's lightly breaded but it seemed almost "naked" to me...but I have no complaints. It was nicely seasoned and grilled (on a flattop, I suspect); it was done but not dry nor excessively drippy. I ate it plain although it's available with lettuce, tomato, cheese, etc. and thought it was just fine without any extras. And on an off-topic note, the burger was good, too...we had a decent lunch before getting back on the road.

While in Des Moines we stopped at a little sandwich/burger/barbecue joint called Delancey's (or maybe it's Delancy's) next to Campus Cleaners and across from the Drake campus. He has a working smoker out front where he makes his barbecue, but since he has 2 sizes (8 oz. & 12 oz.) of BPT on the menu we opted to split a larger one. It was hot, crisp, and tasty, although as it was pretty thin it might qualify as what some call a fritter and I wasn't packing a pair of calipers with which to measure it. It came on a plain white bun (which was way too small) with ketchup, mustard, and pickle chips; onion is part of the standard garnish but we declined that. AFAIK it might be the only BPT option in the campus area but that's still 1 more than when I was a student there; a place like this would've been a welcome change from the pizza and fast-food shops we were surrounded by back then.

Brad
post edited by Brad_Olson - 2009/03/31 14:08:10

6 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1