The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

When is a cream pie not a cream pie

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/2/08 4:59 PM (permalink)
When it's topped with meringue! Conversely, when is a Key Lime pie not a Key Lime Pie? When it is not topped with meringue.

I happen to hate meringue. But, Key Lime pie is traditionalyl made with meringue. But, if you are from up north, oru cream pies have legitimate whipped cream or mystery topping, but not meringue.

I've noticed too many places down South call their pies.."cream pies" and yet there is not a trace of whipped cream anywhere to be found. Where's the cream in their chocolate cream pie? Are they saying the milk they've added to make the pudding justifies calling it a cream pie?

Sorry, I don't get it. To me, a banana cream or chocolate cream pie has to have real whipped cream as the topping. But, serve it with a mystery topping, if you must.

The best banana cream pie I have ever had was at the Buckhead Diner in Atlanta. But, I hear Emerill's version at several of his dining spots is pretty darn good.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
    RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/2/08 5:20 PM (permalink)
    Cream pies are typically a cooked pudding based pie. One can top them with whipped cream or meringue. A pie can have whipped cream on it and be a fruit pie. I put whipped cream on fresh strawberry pies all the time.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
      RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/2/08 5:26 PM (permalink)
      The recipes I have from Florida for Key Lime Pie doesnt include meringue at all.Hmmmmmmmm....

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/2/08 5:32 PM (permalink)
        Cream Pie refers to the pie filling, not the topping

Wether a pie has meringue or cream as a topping has little to do with it.

As far as the key lime pie, both ways are good some say traditional is meringue, others say the keylime pie was never heated therefor ruling out a meringue.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
          RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/2/08 7:34 PM (permalink)
          There is a place out east long island Briermere Farms:
          http://www.briermere.com/

They make the most wonderful cream pies, raspberry cream pie, peach cream pie. The raspberry has its jam on the bottom and it is covered in a delicious cream, I think its a cream cheese/heavy cream mixture. The same with the peach cream pie, luscious peaches and cream. Its the cream that stands out.
          A whipped cream cream cheese topping.

Mrs.Crunch

• Total Posts: 199
            RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Sat, 05/3/08 7:18 PM (permalink)
            Ahhh, what about a cream pie that is actually a cake??
            Boston Cream Pie!!

qwerty79

• Total Posts: 165
              RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Sat, 05/3/08 7:32 PM (permalink)
              I live in FL and I have never seen key lime pie with meringue. That's fine by me because I don't particularly care for meringue that much. The only meringue I liked was on my Grandmother's homemade lemon meringue pie.

Maybe cream pies refer to the texture of the pie being creamy.

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Sat, 05/3/08 7:40 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Baah Ben

When it's topped with meringue! Conversely, when is a Key Lime pie not a Key Lime Pie? When it is not topped with meringue.

I happen to hate meringue. But, Key Lime pie is traditionalyl made with meringue. But, if you are from up north, oru cream pies have legitimate whipped cream or mystery topping, but not meringue.

I've noticed too many places down South call their pies.."cream pies" and yet there is not a trace of whipped cream anywhere to be found. Where's the cream in their chocolate cream pie? Are they saying the milk they've added to make the pudding justifies calling it a cream pie?

Sorry, I don't get it. To me, a banana cream or chocolate cream pie has to have real whipped cream as the topping. But, serve it with a mystery topping, if you must.

The best banana cream pie I have ever had was at the Buckhead Diner in Atlanta. But, I hear Emerill's version at several of his dining spots is pretty darn good.

Baah Ben, I think you're a little off kilter here. Around here, cream pie with whipped topping indicates the maker took a shortcut. While I like them both ways, it's hard to beat a cream pie with a meringue about four inches high.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17816
                  RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Sat, 05/3/08 8:06 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by Mrs.Crunch

Ahhh, what about a cream pie that is actually a cake??
                  Boston Cream Pie!!

Absolutely correct!

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                    RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Mon, 05/5/08 4:23 PM (permalink)
                    I wonder if The Three Stooges used real cream for their pies?

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                      RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Mon, 05/5/08 4:46 PM (permalink)
                      and here I thought "meringue" was a dance!

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1931
                        RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Mon, 05/5/08 5:02 PM (permalink)
                        When they contain Cool Whip?

Baah Ben

RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Mon, 05/5/08 8:15 PM (permalink)
                          Qwerty79..In Key West, supposedly the home of Key Lime Pie, they are made with meringue. You can go on line and check out a few of the palces. One in particular on the only road down, jsut makes pies..that's all they do. And another, when you are actually in Key West,was featured on FoodTV and I believe it was called the Key Lime Company. What do the ones you get come topped with? The ones here usually have whipped cream, if you're lucky or a whipped topping.

Iman, are you saying where you are they use legitimate whipped cream? I think I said that that is what I like and am most familiar with. Good diners (The Buckhead Diner in GA) uses legitimate whipped cream on their banana cream pie. For me, I do not consider a cream pie with meringue a cream pie...That's just me. In the lousy diners, they will use some sort of a whipped topping.

Now, in some of these diners that are famous for their so-called cream pies (Murraysville, PA on Rt 22) and one in Maine (sorry I cannot remember the name) and in some of the Pennsylvania Dutch places they do use meringue.

So, the moral of this post is that if you use milk or cream in the filling, that's considered a cream pie? The topping is not an issue? OK..GOT IT. Thanks..Makes sense. So, I just have to ask what topping they use on their cream pies.

JeannieG

• Total Posts: 17
                            RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Thu, 05/8/08 9:39 PM (permalink)
                            The ultimate cream pie to me was Nesselrode pie. Never see that one around any more. Guess it's one of those "old-fashioned" pies. Has anyone ever had one? It was a cream based pie mixed with citron fruits and topped with chocolate shavings.Very popular around the holidays years ago. It may have been unique to NY, I'm not sure.

Meringue on top of key lime pie just doesn't cut it for me. You need the whipped cream:)

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                              RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/9/08 10:15 AM (permalink)
                              Wrights Dairy Farm Bakery in RI makes real cream pies. A seach of this site should find several mentions.....mostly by me

www.wrightsdairyfarm.com If you will look around the web site you will see cream cakes, but I found no pictures of cream pies, although they are mentioned. I prefer their chocolate cream pie, but others argue that the bannana cream is the best. IMO, their Key Lime pie is just a good bakery pie, nothing special.

I agree with CajunKing. The original Key Lime pie had no cream, because there was none to be had out on the Keys before the days of refrigeration and fast transport. I prefer them with cream, though, and the pies that I have had in the modern day Keys did have real cream.

hutt

• Total Posts: 103
                                RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/9/08 10:42 AM (permalink)

Baah Ben

RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/9/08 12:10 PM (permalink)
                                  Hutt - Those are two of the pie stores that were featured on FootTV. They are using a whipped topping, but if you go on blondgiraffe.com which is also in Key West, they are using meringue. I beleive they were also on that tv show..It was all about Key Lime Pies.

There is another very small place on the way down to the Keys that also uses meringue. It is a little house. I do not know the name.

BarbaraCt

• Total Posts: 333
                                    RE: When is a cream pie not a cream pie Fri, 05/9/08 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                    When is a door not a door? When it's ajar.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com