Is Chinese Considered Roadfood?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Frankman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 300
2008/05/04 03:17:32 (permalink)

Is Chinese Considered Roadfood?

Chinese restaurants seem to fit the roadfood criteria. You can dine in or take out. The meals are relatively inexpensive. They are made fairly quickly. Most all are mom and pop places.
What do you think?

36 Replies Related Threads

MellowRoast
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/04 07:11:07 (permalink)
    That's a darn good question, Frankman. You're right, they appear to fit the definition.

Maybe it's just me, but Chinese food appears pretty much the same from restaurant to restaurant. Bring me "Chicken with Broccoli" from 5 different restaurants and I generally can't tell the difference.

That's not to say there aren't some unique, authentic Chinese places out there. I just haven't found them in my travels.

Sadly, my experience has been the "sameness" of the menu, food, and presentation.

Don't get me wrong. I like Chinese food and visited a nearby restaurant twice this week.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6258
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/04 07:39:33 (permalink)
    Most fit the definition...Around here many pop up in strip malls along our highways and such....yes,they're roadfood!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/05 23:05:54 (permalink)
    Why not? It's been my favorite food for nearly 58 years....I'm 63. You can eat it in or take it out on the road...So, roadfood it is!

I'm closing in on 3000 Chinese restaurant meals in my lifetime. I should get there this year.
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/05 23:25:33 (permalink)
    Only if you are in China.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/05 23:41:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MellowRoast

That's a darn good question, Frankman. You're right, they appear to fit the definition.

Maybe it's just me, but Chinese food appears pretty much the same from restaurant to restaurant. Bring me "Chicken with Broccoli" from 5 different restaurants and I generally can't tell the difference.

That's not to say there aren't some unique, authentic Chinese places out there. I just haven't found them in my travels.

Sadly, my experience has been the "sameness" of the menu, food, and presentation.

Don't get me wrong. I like Chinese food and visited a nearby restaurant twice this week.

Part of the problem might lie in the fact that "Chicken with Broccoli" is as American as Apple Pie or Chevrolet. It might be cooked in a Chinese style but the Chinese food served on this side of the Pacific bear no sembelance to Chinese food cooked and served in China.
    Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
    • Total Posts : 1350
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 00:19:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BBq King

quote:

Part of the problem might lie in the fact that "Chicken with Broccoli" is as American as Apple Pie or Chevrolet. It might be cooked in a Chinese style but the Chinese food served on this side of the Pacific bear no sembelance to Chinese food cooked and served in China.

Which is an argument for it being Roadfood.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 06:45:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

quote:

quote:

Which is an argument for it being Roadfood.

I don't disagree. I was just making a point (I guess not very clearly) that the reason Chicken with Broccoli tasted the same all over is because it is American Roadfood just like Burgers, Pizza, BBQ or Cobb Salad.
    fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 09:47:52 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Yes, but at chinese restaurants they all have an authentic Chinese menu for the Chinese customers. Go to any sit down Chinese restaurant and order Mayonnaise Shrimp. They will know what you are talking about. Or even ask for the "other menu" or the Chinese menu. I have found that some places have it translated into English. I didn't know any of this until my chinese sister-in-law informed me. I had been missing out on so much because I just didn't know.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 10:02:55 (permalink)
    Not all have the "real" menu. You can almost tell which ones by what you can see when you get i nthe restaurant (live fish, hanging ducks or pigs, etc.) Lot of those strip malls are just not going to have duck tongue. Makes no sense to keep it around unless you have a big enough asian population that will come in and order it frequently.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 10:04:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fattybomatty

quote:

quote:

Yes, but at chinese restaurants they all have an authentic Chinese menu for the Chinese customers. Go to any sit down Chinese restaurant and order Mayonnaise Shrimp. They will know what you are talking about. Or even ask for the "other menu" or the Chinese menu. I have found that some places have it translated into English. I didn't know any of this until my chinese sister-in-law informed me. I had been missing out on so much because I just didn't know.

Yes grasshopper I have had Mayonnaise Shrimp. It can be found on the menu of many Chinese restaurants around the USA. It is a dish "invented" in Hong Kong for the tourist trade just a few years ago. Chinese food in America (or for that matter Australia, Austria, or Zambia) is localized to take advantage of local ingrediance. Add in the existance of the "other menu" and it all adds up to making Chinese to be real Roadfood.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 10:30:06 (permalink)
    Absolutely! I love finding the old-fashioned Chinese-American restaurants when I'm traveling. I was just in Indianapolis this weekend, and went back to my old favorite, Lotus Garden in Greenwood. Egg rolls, egg foo young, chicken-mushroom chow mein, chicken almond ding, and, of course, rumaki.

Just a few other examples, off the top of my head: Orange Garden in Chicago; Sing High in Phoenix (don't know whether that one is still there); Hung Fong in San Antonio; Dragon House in Columbia Heights, MN; Silver Dragon in Calgary, Alberta; Hong Kong Inn in Indianapolis. Alas, these "order from the menu/carry out/no buffets in sight" restaurants seem to be dying out.

Let me add that I've traveled to China, Macau and Hong Kong, and I've eaten the authentic cuisine. I enjoy that, too, and seek it out in places like San Francisco. But for me, the Chinese-American standards I grew up with are comfort food. I know they aren't authentic. I don't care.
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 10:31:55 (permalink)
    Mayonnaise shrimp is indeed now a commonplace dish at all Hong Kong style Chinese restaurants. No, I did not hear it was invented for us, but rather it is supposedly served at very special events in Hong Kong for their locals. At least that's what a Chinese friend of ours in the late 90's told us. She served it at her restaruant in Aventura and was one of the very first to bring Honk Kong cooking to South Florida.

Fattybomatty - One has to wonder...How many people use mayo in Hong Kong? So, what can I tell you. It is a good dish regardless. Very rich and creamy. A restaurant has got to use big shrimp to really make this dish shine IMO.
    fattybomatty
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 10:41:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

Mayonnaise shrimp is indeed now a commonplace dish at all Hong Kong style Chinese restaurants. No, I did not hear it was invented for us, but rather it is supposedly served at very special events in Hong Kong for their locals. At least that's what a Chinese friend of ours in the late 90's told us. She served it at her restaruant in Aventura and was one of the very first to bring Honk Kong cooking to South Florida.

Fattybomatty - One has to wonder...How many people use mayo in Hong Kong? So, what can I tell you. It is a good dish regardless. Very rich and creamy. A restaurant has got to use big shrimp to really make this dish shine IMO.

I never actually asked my sister-in-law the origin of mayo shrimp. I just know that she considered it to be authentic chinese meaning that they serve it in China. Her mother also makes these excellent pork buns that I love. At their wedding I sat at the head table and had all types of Chinese food that I hadn't experienced before. very tasty and very much different from the chinese food I've had in the past. I really need her to take me out more and show me other things so I can properly update this topic. haha. But for the main question I don't think cuisine could be considered NOT roadfood simply because it is a foreign cuisine. If that were the case then no italian or mexican place could be considered it. So I would say all types of Ethnic food could be road food
    divefl
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 10:46:16 (permalink)
    Mexican in the US is like Chinese in that there have been many changes to suit the audience. More authentic places exist (as with asian) but that is not the norm.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 11:00:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by divefl

Not all have the "real" menu. You can almost tell which ones by what you can see when you get i nthe restaurant (live fish, hanging ducks or pigs, etc.) Lot of those strip malls are just not going to have duck tongue. Makes no sense to keep it around unless you have a big enough asian population that will come in and order it frequently.

Rats crawling across the buffet......two places here I USED to frequent have been closed due to. I just can't make myself eat at a Chinese restaurant anymore. Granted other places may have this problem but I haven't SEEN it.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4524
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 11:17:34 (permalink)
    I love searching out and finding a good Chinese Restaurant. My most recent discovery was in Randolph, Ma. Wong's, run by a husband and wife. Truely wonderful people. The food was very unique, from the hot and sour soup to the egg foo yung. Great RoadFood.
    divefl
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/06 11:31:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:
    Originally posted by divefl

Rats crawling across the buffet......two places here I USED to frequent have been closed due to. I just can't make myself eat at a Chinese restaurant anymore. Granted other places may have this problem but I haven't SEEN it.

How'd you choose my post to brng up rats with? I haven't been to a Chinese buffet in year. From what I hear on the boards, it's the only option many have for Chinese. Sorry to hear that. I'd advise waiting to travel (in the states) to get some good chinese.
    HollyDolly
    • Total Posts : 1069
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 11:12:48 (permalink)
    Like anything there are good places and bad places.
    If you have at work anyone who is chinese,tell them you were wondering if they knew of any place in the area that served authenic chinese dishes,things not usually found on the menu .tell them you enjoy chinese food,but want to try new dishes,and ask if there is any restaurant they would recommend for dim sum or other items. Many restaurants have menus in chinese for their chinese customers, and some of these dishes are different from on the english menu.

Haven't eaten at Hung Fong in years and not alot of parking there on Broadway.DingHow over on Loop 410 has or did have great food.
    Bejing on Northwest Military is good.Husi Yei on Broadway located in the old Pizza Inn building,near Loop 410 and the airport has gotten good reviews in the past.And I like Golden Wok on Wuzbach and Garden Dale for the dimsum.These are all San Antonio Places.I like Shanghai on Pat Booker which is in Live Oak? live Oak and Universal City kind of run together up there by Mr.Gatti's Pizza.
    Also,the old China Moon location on Pat Booker near the Valero and Polly's Pets is being remodeled. I think it's going to be another chinese or oriental place.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 14:03:08 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    In my area all the Chinese, Vietnamese, and Korean havens
    of food are Roadfood places because they are all family-owned
    and thus local. They are not chains. They may offer the same
    dishes, but they prepare and offer it in their own way.
    Isn't Roadfood a mixture of similar food, (like meatloaf)
    but discovering how different places make it?
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    MellowRoast
    • Total Posts : 2009
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 15:04:57 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Yes, that's very true, and why (in the many restaurants I've sampled) I can't find anything that stands out as unique.

In fact, I used to have come clients/customers that were Chinese restaurant owners. I noticed that on their lunch or dinner breaks, what they were eating didn't look like Chinese food at all.

When I inquired about it, the proprietor said, "We eat Chinese food, but we don't serve it!"
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 15:08:37 (permalink)
    Old School Chinese Buffets - with their gelatinous chow mein, and such, are almost a dying breed to the point that if the decor is old enough, it fits right in with some of the really greasy spoons I've been to. Sometimes, kitschy-to-the-extreme can be a roadfood experience unto itself.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 15:14:01 (permalink)
    In Dallas, we are truly blessed to have a (family) chain of 4 Chinese restaurants that cater to our growing Chinese population. "First Chinese BBQ" serves genuine, authentic Cantonese (made with MSG) Chinese food.
    They are very popular with everyone but, especially the Chinese community which, usually makes up as much as 95% of their clientele at any given time of day.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 21:57:09 (permalink)
    I assume there must be a chinese food version of Sysco. It may be that a lot of Chinese food tastes the same because it is all premade from the same place. No doubt some places are rolling their own egg rolls and cutting up raw meats and vegtables, but I think many places probably just open up a lot of boxes.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 22:39:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

I assume there must be a chinese food version of Sysco. It may be that a lot of Chinese food tastes the same because it is all premade from the same place. No doubt some places are rolling their own egg rolls and cutting up raw meats and vegtables, but I think many places probably just open up a lot of boxes.

Point of interest: First Chinese BBQ, which I wrote about above, does not serve egg rolls or, dessert of any kind. They do not serve "appetizers" either.
    BBq King
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/07 23:19:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

If you go into a "Mom and Pop" Chinese restaurant run by Chinese, no matter where it is located, you can be assured that it is not premade and nuked. Even the buffets you find everywhere now days prepare all their dishes from scratch.
    AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/08 07:15:53 (permalink)
    I wish we had a good roadfood Chinese place around here, but all we have are countless buffets where there are pizza and fries and the food is lukewarm. And, everything is way underspiced. Most of these places don't even offer a menu The ones that I would consider roadfood, Szechuan Garden and Hunan, sadly turned into buffets and then disappeared.

Andrea
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/08 09:48:53 (permalink)
    I certainly agree about the pre-fab food at many of these places. Those egg rolls are awful, and the packaged dipping sauces are even worse. But the worst thing I've discovered in several Twin Cities places (that looked promising to me when I first moved here) is the use of some kind of pressed "white meat" chicken strips that look and taste like sheet rock.

I patronize Chinese-American places where the chicken is clearly hand-cut in the kitchen, as are the vegetables, and the egg rolls are homemade -- sauces, too.

And no "krabmeat" in the seafood dishes, please.

These places do exist, but they are harder and harder to find.

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6258
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/08 14:00:06 (permalink)
    Many of the chinese buffets around here serve very pre-packaged
    foods. Plentiful,variety..but not quality!
    fattybomatty
    RE: Is Chinese Considered Roadfood? 2008/05/08 14:16:29 (permalink)
    All the chinese buffets in my area have practically disappeared. I can only think of one off the top of my head. Luckily there are a few very nice chinese restaurants around
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1