Dugans Bakery Truck

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
JeannieG
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2008/05/08 20:00:38 (permalink)

Dugans Bakery Truck

Does anyone remember the Dugans bakery truck that would go from house to house selling cakes and bread? They had cupcakes with either chocolate, vanilla, or strawberry icing that you could just peel off the top of the cupcake and eat. What a sugar high!!! They'd come down the street in the same way the Good Humor truck would makes its rounds...

62 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18938
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 21:04:05 (permalink)
    I remember Dugan's. I remember it with great affection. The Dugan's man used to deliver a coffee cake to my house twice a week when I was a kid.
    JeannieG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 21:15:06 (permalink)
    So glad to see somone remembers! Their crumbcakes were really good too, but, ah, those cupcakes::):):) This was in Queens NY...
    Red Head
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 21:27:55 (permalink)
    It must be close to 45 years since I've had a Dugan's chocolate iced cupcake but I can still taste it. I remember peeling off and eating the icing and then eating the yellow cupcake by itself . Dugan's french crullers are the gold standard for me. I've NEVER had a french cruller that holds a candle to the ones I remember being delivered by the Dugan's man. Thanks for bringing back a great memory.
    Sir Loin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 21:31:22 (permalink)
    Yes, the Dugan man would come on Tuesdays if I recall correctly. If you wanted him to stop, you put a cardboard D in your window. Then on Thursday the Charles Chips truck would come by with big tins of potato chips and pretzels. Also got Hoffman soda deliveries. Ah the good old days.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 21:46:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by JeannieG

So glad to see somone remembers! Their crumbcakes were really good too, but, ah, those cupcakes::):):) This was in Queens NY...

I don't remember the cupcakes. It was in New Haven, Hamden, Milford and Orange -- all Connecticut -- for me.
    JeannieG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 21:54:06 (permalink)
    I totally forgot about the D in the window.LOL As for Hoffman soda, didn't they have sasparilla flavor - my favorite:):)
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/08 22:22:24 (permalink)
    Hoffman's cream soda was mine.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 15:06:09 (permalink)
    Blast from the Past!!

I remember you could walk into the back of the truck and see the bake goods boxes diplayed and make your choice. What fun!!

A mobile bakery!
    PaulBPool
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 278
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 15:13:51 (permalink)
    When I was a kid, my Grandfather lived in Queens Village NY, and his neighbor was a worker at the Dugan's plant. Needless to say, there was always plenty of Dugan's product in their house when we would visit!
    I still remember their cupcakes and crumb cakes, they were very tasty, and having my 'pop-pop' give me one of them as a treat is a memory that I'll take with me the rest of my life.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 15:15:34 (permalink)
    Well it wasn't Dugans but growing up in Ct. there was a Viking bakery truck that delivered, does anyone remeber that company and know anything about it?
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 15:18:46 (permalink)
    Also we had a truck that came around called the "milk mobile" that sold a variety of items,is anyone familiar with this as well?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 16:44:48 (permalink)
    In the Hudson valley thee was sharp competition between Dugans and Cushmans bakeries. They both had similar products and prices, but for whatever reason or family preferred Cushmans, so Dugans did not stop at our house. I may be mistaken, but I think I remember that Cushmans also sold day -old products at a considerable discount - this was , after all, the years of the Great Depression - although I think they were still in business up to about 1950. I wonder now just how good their products were - I sure loved them as a child.

At one point, just before WWII my father drove a horsedrawn milk truck for a local dairy - Brenners. People had a box on their porches and received a standing order of milk, butter, cheese and such, and left money in the box for the milkman. If you wanted to change your order you had to check off items on a list supplied by the company or leave a note for the milkman. If a house became vacant the horse stopped there every morning anyhow and it took months to break him of the habit for that stop. Likewise it took a while to train the horse to stop at a new address for a new customer.

How many of you remember the ice man? Customers had a sign hung on a nail on their porches and turned the number of pounds of ice they wanted to the top of the sign and the man left a block of ice of the appropriate size in the ice box on the porch. I cant remember when we didn't have a refrigerator, but we continued to get ice in the Summer months from the ice man. I guess the refrigerators in those days were smaller than now and not capable of making much more than a tray or two of ice every day.

Cheers, John

Cheers, John

rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 16:54:06 (permalink)
    My wife has been wistfully recalling "the Dugan's man" for as long as I've known her. She spent her early childhood in Queens (1952-1960); when we moved to the Hudson Valley in 1982, one of the first things we noticed was a closed Dugan's "stand" on the shoulder of the Hutchinson Parkway in the lower part of Westchester County. It looked like it had been a walk-up, Carvel-type stand, or maybe an outlet for day-old stuff? We never found out, but it stood there, abandoned, for many years; for her it had a ghostly quality.
    It's funny how those things resonate so strongly through a lifetime.

No ice man for me, Captain; but I grew up in western Nassau County drinking milk from Dietz's Dairy, a farm that was 3 blocks away.
    Cheers, indeed!
    Ron
    rumaki
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1085
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 16:56:25 (permalink)
    In Indianapolis, our bakery delivery truck was Omar. I remember my mother buying bread,rolls and breakfast sweet rolls, and very rarely a cake (we didn't have desserts much in our house).

Milk delivery was by Polk. I think my brother still has the metal box that sat on the porch to receive cartons of milk and cottage cheese.

Home milk delivery still takes place in the United Kingdom, I believe. In 1987, when there was a "blizzard" (by English standards) in January, I remember that one of the ways the Brits expressed how devastating the 3 to 6-inch snowfall had been was to say "there was no milk delivery for three days!"
    Tedbear
    • Total Posts : 1832
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/09 18:34:59 (permalink)

Yes, I do fondly remember the arrival of "The Dugan's Man"! We did not have to put a cardboard "D" in the front window, as he always came to the back door with a basket, bearing his selections for the day. As a kid, my favorite was their Jellyroll.

I also remember a Dugan's advertising campaign--in fact, perhaps their last one. Does anyone else remember the radio commercials with the man telling us that "Thomas' promises--but Dugan's delivers!"?

For a number of years after Dugan's went out of business, there was an auto graveyard/junkyard on Rt. 1 in Elizabeth, NJ, that was filled with old Dugan's trucks. Every time that I drove past, I had an incredible urge for a Dugan's Jellyroll!
    Sir Loin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/05/10 02:22:15 (permalink)
    quote:

I totally forgot about the D in the window.LOL As for Hoffman soda, didn't they have sasparilla flavor - my favorite:):)

Not sure about sasparilla, my favorite was the black cherry. Still remember the Hoffman jingle. "the prettiest girl I ever saw, was sipping Hoffmans through a straw"
    JeannieG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/05 20:40:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sir Loin

quote:

Not sure about sasparilla, my favorite was the black cherry. Still remember the Hoffman jingle. "the prettiest girl I ever saw, was sipping Hoffmans through a straw"
    JeannieG
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/05 20:42:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sir Loin

quote:

GailBlackman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/13 21:58:32 (permalink)
    A Brooklyn girl -not just Dugan's but Krug's too-Green trucj and Peter Peter Wheat bread and comic books. Same wonderful shiny thick hardtop. soft peal-able icing

That same icing is on Emtemann's black and white cake todsy. Does anyone know what it is called-have recipe for it know where to get it. I have been looking for years. Ebingers used it too.

Thank you

GB
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/13 22:13:28 (permalink)
    I had no idea Dugan's was delivered outside of N.J? As a matter of fact, as a kid I thought it was solely a Newark thing. Does anyone know just how far their sales extended?

And another question: How come back then we could eat all we wanted of that stuff (icing, jellyrolls, coffee cake...gosh I love pastry) without gaining weight?

Couldn’t be because we played non-stop from the time we got home from school until long after the lightning bugs came out, when our parents could finally lasso us, put us into the bath, and spatula us into bed, could it?

The Bear
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/13 22:27:56 (permalink)
    You hit a soft nerve with this topic. I loved the Dugan's truck delivering those wonderful, freshly baked goodies back in the early-mid 50's. Especially the crumb cake. That had to be everyones favorite. It sure was my favorite.
    pmrkr2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 319
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/13 22:37:53 (permalink)
    I remember Dugan's with great affection, I used to love those pink cupcakes that you could peel the icing off, mmmmmm good
    GailBlackman
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/13 22:41:37 (permalink)
    so does anyone of us icing lovers have any idea where we can find a recipe for it. Thanks

Gail
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/13 23:28:36 (permalink)
    I never heard of this company before, but in Livonia, the suburb of Detroit where I grew up, we had the Awrey's man. They are still around, although the trucks no longer are. They made/make wonderful coffee cakes and chocolate bump cake.

I like to go to their outlet store when I get a chance while visiting.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/14 00:10:56 (permalink)
    I remember as a kid there being in a local junkyard a Dugan's truck.....but am not old enough to remember the actual service or goods...

I DO remember when Freihofer's started infiltrating down our way from the Albany area - and the those wonderful chocolate chip cookies they had back then....just right for the 'illegal appetite
    stimulates' that one smoked as a kid....... " />
    GailBlackman
    Junior Burger
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/14 00:25:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for all your replies but does anyone REALLY HAVE AN IDEA OF WHERE TO FIND THE RECIPE>

Thanks
    Remarc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/14 16:48:49 (permalink)
    I remember Dugans bread truck back in 1940-1945 when we lived in Woodbury Heights & Wenonah,NJ in south Jersey.My father always got their whole wheat bread.How handy it was to have a delivery right to your house.But then the Dr.also made house calls.Yes they were the "good old days
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

I had no idea Dugan's was delivered outside of N.J? As a matter of fact, as a kid I thought it was solely a Newark thing. Does anyone know just how far their sales extended?

And another question: How come back then we could eat all we wanted of that stuff (icing, jellyrolls, coffee cake...gosh I love pastry) without gaining weight?

Couldn’t be because we played non-stop from the time we got home from school until long after the lightning bugs came out, when our parents could finally lasso us, put us into the bath, and spatula us into bed, could it?

The Bear

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/14 17:11:52 (permalink)
    Sorry, this is the closest I could find.

http://www.ochef.com/397.htm
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    RE: Dugans Bakery Truck 2008/06/14 17:15:55 (permalink)

Probably because we all walked to get somewhere. And, we didn't have a world of junk food and probably, the most important thing, we ate much smaller portions then.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1