The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

True Kosher Dills

The-Porcus

• Total Posts: 32
True Kosher Dills Thu, 10/9/03 12:44 AM (permalink)
For lovers of deli sandwiches, the kosher dill (full or half sour) is the side dish that must be there if the pastrami, or Montreal smoked meat or corned beef is to really do its magic. Years ago, my Jewish aunt shared a recipe with me for making such dills. I made the mistake of putting the recipe only on my hard drive and - much thanks, Mr. Gates! - it vanished! So, alas too has my aunt, skywards to the great pickling grounds above.

I'd be interested in some brainstorming about how to do it. What I do recall most is that (a) vinegar never got near these pickles (that is, they fermented on their own) (b) that they got put in glass bottles out in the late summer sun for several days running and (c) most oddly, the recipe called for putting a slice of stale rye bread across the mouth jar of each pickle bottle. But nuances such as how much kosher salt to use per gallon escape me. I tried a batch this summer, must have used too little salt and created an excellent bacterial broth.

While your all at it, who likes which commercial available kosher dill?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com