The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Homecoming 2003

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
Homecoming 2003 Fri, 10/10/03 10:33 PM (permalink)
The Lone Star household as been teen chaos station tonite as preparations for "THE" homecoming game were underway.

While the air is still redolent of the jingle and swish of over-the-top corsages and boutannieres, along with the lingering smell of too much colonge and lip gloss combined with the electricity of hyper-charged teen hormones, I started thinking about football food.

Now, I am not talking about Martha Stewartess tailgaiting food, or high dollar NFL stadium food. I am talking about home-town, local hero high school, old men parking their trucks in the end-zone and popping a few tops kind of football food.

Here in our town one of the major sellers is the "pickle ice". The liquid from the jars of the giant dill pickles is poured into cups with a stick in the middle and frozen.

What are your areas favorite high-school football foods?

Signed, Lone Star, waiting for curfew so she can go to bed.

Mayhaw Man

• Total Posts: 589
    RE: Homecoming 2003 Sat, 10/11/03 12:24 AM (permalink)
    Generally, we do the cold food thing as a lot of the stuff in South Louisiana involves somebody going crazy with a giant cooking device (huge pits, giant crawfish rigs, etc) so you end up bringing beverages and sides.

We are invited to a high fallutin deal tommorrow for Tulane Homecoming (my family is full of graduates in a number of generations, including the Lovely Mrs. Mayhaw (A&S Class of 82). I , of course, got smart and headed north to Beautiful Fayetteville Ark and have never regretted it for a minute)) and the thing is pretty much a done deal,partially catered and so forth, but we are taking a couple of things just because we want to

Cold Thai Beef Salad

Curried Rice Salad (which is awesome and easy and I will post if interested)

Mushrooms Burgundy (get some cheap burgundy, get some garlic, get some big buttons, cook a long time, simple,delicious)

Have fun with your homecoming and I hope you finally get some sleep tonight.

Lone Star

RE: Homecoming 2003 Sat, 10/11/03 1:57 PM (permalink)
      Mayhaw - the curried rice salad sounds great, please post the recipe when you have time. Is it one that can be served warm or cold, and does it travel well.

All were finally present and accounted for by their generous homecoming curfew and woke up Mom, who was sleeping on the couch. [|)]

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
        RE: Homecoming 2003 Sat, 10/11/03 6:10 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Lone Star

Mayhaw - the curried rice salad sounds great, please post the recipe when you have time. Is it one that can be served warm or cold, and does it travel well.

All were finally present and accounted for by their generous homecoming curfew and woke up Mom, who was sleeping on the couch. [|)]

so the dance went well--good---but what about the football game!!! Did ya WIN!!??

Mayhaw Man

RE: Homecoming 2003 Sat, 10/11/03 7:37 PM (permalink)
          You mean that there was a game too? That must have been great!

Alirush

• Total Posts: 59
            RE: Homecoming 2003 Sat, 10/11/03 8:08 PM (permalink)
            We just returned from the U of A Homecoming game, and while I'd rather forget the score right now, I won't forget the meal we had last night at the Wooden Spoon in Gentry, AR. The Wooden Spoon is a restaurant there that's run by the Mennonites and it's open for dinner just one night a week (that'd be Friday). It's located inside of the Spavinaw Stove Co., and there are probably only 12 or so tables. You don't know what's going to be on the menu until you get there, but there are always at least three specials. Last night there was baked chicken, catfish, and a tri-tip steak. The food was simply prepared but delicious and fresh. The desserts are out of this world; great homemade pies (I had Bumblebee pie; blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries). There was the added bonus of eating while surrounded by wood stoves, too. The women seem to run the restaurant; later in the evening the fathers arrived with children in tow to eat the last of the pies and discuss local news. Gentry is in the middle of nowhere, but the Wooden Spoon is worth a side trip. It ALMOST made the loss less painful...Go Hogs!

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
              RE: Homecoming 2003 Sun, 10/12/03 7:40 AM (permalink)
              A few years ago when my kids were still in High school and chasing around before and after the big game, Taco bell was the place to get food. It was cheap.
              They wouldn't think of doing anything at home where the parents and younger siblings were.
              Too bad they grew up in Minnesota. They never knew the wonders of the 2 for .99 tacos at Jack-in-the-Box. But they did have White Castles.

Lone Star

RE: Homecoming 2003 Sun, 10/12/03 1:49 PM (permalink)
                yeah tiki, we won 55 - 7. Not a very exciting game I'm told.

After the game all teens went to Chili's. They love to congregate at the place. I just hope they tipped well like their mama taught 'em.

I always feel for the server who has a table full of rowdy teens.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                  RE: Homecoming 2003 Sun, 10/12/03 3:37 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

yeah tiki, we won 55 - 7. Not a very exciting game I'm told.

After the game all teens went to Chili's. They love to congregate at the place. I just hope they tipped well like their mama taught 'em.

I always feel for the server who has a table full of rowdy teens.

I would imagine that is wasnt very exciting for the losers!, but as an allstate middlelinebacker in high school that NEVER played in a losing game--believe me, any time we scored 55 points I for one was excited!--I believe the word is--PUMPED! Good for them. I see you Texans were on the reciving end of a lopsided victory this week too---GO SOONERS!!!!

sorry about that, i hate to gloat--but

Lone Star

RE: Homecoming 2003 Sun, 10/12/03 5:14 PM (permalink)
                    Well, I always have to root for the Sooners too as my Dad is a rabid fan/alumni.

But, honestly, that was downright embarrasing for the Longhorns.

My Father's lullaby:
                    "I'm a Sooner born, I'm a Sooner bred, and when I die, I'm a Sooner dead! Oklahoma, Oklahoma, OK!"

Mayhaw Man

RE: Homecoming 2003 Sun, 10/12/03 10:33 PM (permalink)
                      quote:

fan/alumni.

But, honestly, that was downright embarrasing for the Longhorns.

O hoh Lonestar,

That was Tulane fans wishing that whomping on you. Now you know how it feels.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
                        RE: Homecoming 2003 Mon, 10/13/03 8:01 AM (permalink)
                        quote:

The Lone Star household as been teen chaos station tonite as preparations for "THE" homecoming game were underway.

While the air is still redolent of the jingle and swish of over-the-top corsages and boutannieres, along with the lingering smell of too much colonge and lip gloss combined with the electricity of hyper-charged teen hormones, I started thinking about football food.

Now, I am not talking about Martha Stewartess tailgaiting food, or high dollar NFL stadium food. I am talking about home-town, local hero high school, old men parking their trucks in the end-zone and popping a few tops kind of football food.

Here in our town one of the major sellers is the "pickle ice". The liquid from the jars of the giant dill pickles is poured into cups with a stick in the middle and frozen.

What are your areas favorite high-school football foods?

Signed, Lone Star, waiting for curfew so she can go to bed.

"The liquid from the jars of the giant dill pickles is poured into cups with a stick in the middle and frozen."

There's just no way that this could be possible. Either Lone Star is:

1. Pulling one over on all of us.

2. Resides in an area so remote that the residents have convinced eachother that such is food.
                        3. Or, that the end of the world is before us.

Please don't tell me that these things are also called "Pickle-Sicles" !!!

Lone Star

RE: Homecoming 2003 Mon, 10/13/03 10:00 AM (permalink)
                          I am not kidding! We sell them at the softball tournaments too, and they are especially popualar with the younger kids. We charged 50 cents last summer.

Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
                            RE: Homecoming 2003 Tue, 10/21/03 1:37 AM (permalink)
                            Alirush, was amazed but pleased to hear of the Wooden Spoon in Gentry. It sounds great. Do you make reservations (would think not) or just show up and hope you get in before everything is gone? Just never heard of it, despite the times I get to northwest Arkansas and friend all up through that area, even including Decatur. With that area heading toward becoming the major metropolitan area of the state, it seems, its good to know that such a place as that remains (and fear a source of some comfort is going to be needed to help offset most Razorback game results remainder of season).

Alirush

• Total Posts: 59
                              RE: Homecoming 2003 Tue, 10/21/03 9:29 AM (permalink)
                              Liketoeat,

I do not believe they take reservations at the Wooden Spoon. I imagine that they do occasionally run out of something, but somehow I see them quickly whipping up something else that would be equally as tasty to replace it! In retrospect, the meal was the highlight of our trip, and really, the memory of the Bumblebee pie is all that's getting me through these trying Razorbacks times. Ugh.

In any case, I highly recommend it. It was a comforting place even when the Hogs were winning. If we lived closer, that would be where we'd eat every Friday night...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com