The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

New York Mag: NY breakfasts

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
New York Mag: NY breakfasts Sun, 06/8/08 6:20 PM (permalink)
The current issue of New York Magazine is devoted to breakfasts:
http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/breakfast/

To wit:
A thorough examination of the sternest, most-skipped meal of the day, including a breakfast skeptic’s look at morning-nutrition science, a 100-cereal taste test, a guide to effectively leveraging your coffee addiction, the city’s twenty best breakfast meals, and more.
How I Learned to [Heart] Breakfast:The new science of the loneliest meal.
What I Ate This Morning:A 60-person poll.
How to Pick an Egg...And a Nice Slice of Pig:Three experts dispense advice on how to find the best bacon and eggs.
The 100-Cereal Taste Test: Our restaurant critic surveys bowl after bowl...after bowl.
The Guide to Caffeine Addiction: We’re hooked like never before. Is that bad?
You Rise, They Shine : The city’s best morning meals in twenty categories.

Restaurant locations listed (This is interesting): The Best:
Chinese breakfasts, Italian breakfasts, Latino breakfasts,
Pancakes, paninos, croissants, bagels, burritos,French toast, donuts, eggonaroll, etc etc

Now this is one thorough discussion on the b-meal

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
    RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Mon, 06/9/08 12:25 AM (permalink)
    And to think New York Magazine even has a resident porkologist (Josh Ozersky) on staff. He tells you where you can buy a pound of thick cut Oscar Mayer bacon for $6.99 a pound.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Mon, 06/9/08 10:32 AM (permalink)
      How neat---egg--picked best ovwerall--just happens to be close to my daughters place in Williamsburg---looks like that ones on my "must do" list for our nex5t trip to see the worlds greatest daughter!

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
        RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Mon, 06/9/08 11:30 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by tiki

How neat---egg--picked best ovwerall--just happens to be close to my daughters place in Williamsburg---looks like that ones on my "must do" list for our nex5t trip to see the worlds greatest daughter!

Greg Strong

• Total Posts: 1
          RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Mon, 06/23/08 10:12 PM (permalink)
          This place has got more business than your dog has fleas. When we arrived at ten to nine AM, there was already a line about ten deep, and the moment they opened the doors, the place got swamped. I dunno if this is a function of their recent opening or the early summer let's-get-out-for-breakfast-on-such-a-nice-day enthusiasm springing up among the young and hearty in the neighborhood. The opening wasn't even that recent anymore. Probably young blood and bedevilment.
          There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for breakfast around town these days. Did you read the New York magazine article describing the city's best breakfast in that hipster haven of Williamsburg, Brooklyn? Get a load of this: "chef-owner George Weld has forged a modest kingdom from local-free-roaming-chicken’s eggs and artisanal heirloom grits." I'm sure you've noticed all the local, free-roaming chickens running the streets last time you walked through Brooklyn. And anybody who uses the words "artisanal," "heirloom" and "grits" in the same sentence clearly does not have a good picture of a)how grits are made and b)the grit-consuming demographic in this country.

So this was an excerpt from my review of Community Food and Juice on the Upper West Side.
          I wrote more, but I think it's clear what I thought about the NY Mag article.
          http://uptownkitchen.blogspot.com

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
            • Roadfood Insider
            RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Mon, 06/23/08 11:06 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Greg Strong

This place has got more business than your dog has fleas. When we arrived at ten to nine AM, there was already a line about ten deep, and the moment they opened the doors, the place got swamped. I dunno if this is a function of their recent opening or the early summer let's-get-out-for-breakfast-on-such-a-nice-day enthusiasm springing up among the young and hearty in the neighborhood. The opening wasn't even that recent anymore. Probably young blood and bedevilment.

You are seriously underestimating the drawing power of being named best overall breakfast in a major magazine.

quote:
            There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for breakfast around town these days. Did you read the New York magazine article describing the city's best breakfast in that hipster haven of Williamsburg, Brooklyn? Get a load of this: "chef-owner George Weld has forged a modest kingdom from local-free-roaming-chicken’s eggs and artisanal heirloom grits." I'm sure you've noticed all the local, free-roaming chickens running the streets last time you walked through Brooklyn.

I must have missed the part of the article that claimed the eggs came from Brooklyn.

quote:
            And anybody who uses the words "artisanal," "heirloom" and "grits" in the same sentence clearly does not have a good picture of a)how grits are made and b)the grit-consuming demographic in this country.

Absolute nonsense. Top chefs use rustic products in creative ways every day. In response to that, new and interesting versions of tried and true ingredients find their way into the market. Why is that negative?

uncledaveyo

• Total Posts: 599
              RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Mon, 06/23/08 11:21 PM (permalink)
              I agree with you totally Pigiron. And being "controversial" and "edgy" doesn't make you "interesting." And yes I realize the potential irony in my statement.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Tue, 06/24/08 1:17 AM (permalink)
                Clinton Street Bakery and Restaurant..Is this place as good as its menu looks....

MOC

• Total Posts: 40
                  RE: New York Mag: NY breakfasts Tue, 07/1/08 8:34 PM (permalink)
                  If you're up for an excursion on the 7 train - try La Flor at 52nd street stop. Everything they do is great - not just breakfast. Some mexican egg based dishes and scrumptious vanilla french toast. The recent whole wheat bluberry pancakes were delicious too. You won't find long lines, attitude or a shocking check either!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                    • No New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                    • Read Message
                    • Post New Thread
                    • Reply to message
                    • Post New Poll
                    • Submit Vote
                    • Post reward post
                    • Delete my own posts
                    • Delete my own threads
                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com