FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe

Author
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15185
2003/10/15 15:31:37 (permalink)

FRUIT (Pear) BUTTER Recipe

Our local WalMart had a mess of pears in the fruit dept. this weekend at $.50 a lb. They looked and tasted pretty good, so we bought several pounds. Jan decided to try a recipe we found on Epicurious for "PEAR BUTTER". It turned out great !!!
I recommend this one.

We also found a bunch of pineapples at the same place for $.98 each. They were fully ripe, but not fermenting yet...I have eaten more fresh pineapple than I have seen in years !!! Starting to sing 'Tiny Bubbles' and do my Don Ho impersonation !!

PEAR BUTTER WITH CARDAMOM AND CINNAMON

Use on your favorite toast for breakfast or spoon over vanilla ice cream for dessert.
5 pounds ripe pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/3 cups Johannisberg Riesling wine (We used an already open bottle of Korbels extra-dry Champagne)
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

Combine pears, wine and lemon juice in heavy large Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until pears are tender, occasionally stirring and pushing pears into liquid to submerge, about 20 minutes.

Working in batches, transfer mixture to processor; puree.(We used a ricer instead of a processor) Return to same pot. Add sugar, cinnamon and cardamom. Simmer over low heat until mixture thickens and mounds slightly on spoon, stirring often and partially covering if mixture splatters, about 2 hours.(4-5 hours in a crock-pot) Transfer hot pear butter to clean jars. Cover and cool. Refrigerate. (Can be made 2 weeks ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Makes about 3 2/3 cups.

Bon Appétit
February 1996

NOTE..Comments in Blue are our custoomizing of the recipe.

14 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1