The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Shoo fly pie??

djstar

• Total Posts: 1
Shoo fly pie?? Fri, 06/13/08 11:04 AM (permalink)
I was sure I would find my answer here, but they only came up with one review and recipe of Dutch Corner.
I recently was in Philly and wanted to do a hunt that I took 35 years ago when I spent a summer in Maryland. We drove up to York PA and hunted wet and dry bottom shoo-fly pies. Figuring it is much easier to drive through PA than Arizona, I started googling and looking and hitting all the shops within a reasonable range of where the beau was working for the week, in Wilmington DE. The closest I found was in Lancaster county, and it was too long for his schedule to be without a car. I did find one site that would ship me one for $30 or so.
BUT it seems like such a road trip necessity...
I was in the Reading Station on a TUESDAY, not a Wednesday and apparently missed the PA Dutch vendors.
Instead of running like a chicken, is there any one who was lucky enough to find any of these molassasy gems within an hour or so of Delaware/Philly? I will send the boyfriend out on a run if I can guarantee success next trip!

Red Head

• Total Posts: 22
    RE: Shoo fly pie?? Fri, 06/13/08 11:47 AM (permalink)
    You might want to try the Boothwyn Farmer's Market. It is off of 202 almost on the PA/DE border. It's less than 30 minutes from Wilmington

http://www.boothscorner.com/directory.asp

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
      RE: Shoo fly pie?? Fri, 06/13/08 4:02 PM (permalink)
      https://store.bird-in-hand.com/store_2/shop.htm?category=76

You can order one from the heart of Amish Country,Bird-in-hand PA!

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
        RE: Shoo fly pie?? Fri, 06/13/08 4:30 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by djstar

I was sure I would find my answer here, but they only came up with one review and recipe of Dutch Corner.
        I recently was in Philly and wanted to do a hunt that I took 35 years ago when I spent a summer in Maryland. We drove up to York PA and hunted wet and dry bottom shoo-fly pies. Figuring it is much easier to drive through PA than Arizona, I started googling and looking and hitting all the shops within a reasonable range of where the beau was working for the week, in Wilmington DE. The closest I found was in Lancaster county, and it was too long for his schedule to be without a car. I did find one site that would ship me one for $30 or so.
        BUT it seems like such a road trip necessity...
        I was in the Reading Station on a TUESDAY, not a Wednesday and apparently missed the PA Dutch vendors.
        Instead of running like a chicken, is there any one who was lucky enough to find any of these molassasy gems within an hour or so of Delaware/Philly? I will send the boyfriend out on a run if I can guarantee success next trip!

Lancaster IS only an hour from Philly - the Dutch Haven is a bit closer as are some other Amish-related places on Rte. 30 E of Lancaster. All have good shoo fly pies.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6081
          RE: Shoo fly pie?? Fri, 06/13/08 5:07 PM (permalink)
          Great pie there,also in the Bird-in-hand farmer's market..or countless other places in and around rt. 30 and rt.340

shortchef

• Total Posts: 624
            RE: Shoo fly pie?? Sat, 06/14/08 8:45 PM (permalink)
            You will NEVER find a shoo-fly pie in York. I am from there, and the prepared ones I ate all came from Lancaster County. They used to have great baked goods in York at the venerable Central Market House, but that has turned into a more-or-less flea market. Had it not been for my mother-in-law I would probably never have tasted a homemade one. My best friend in York also shared her recipe for shoo-fly cake, a molasses cake with a crumb topping. York County cooks are, for the most part, not known for their great culinary concoctions. This is not really a criticism, but I did find that the four basic food groups in York County are flour, fat, sugar and salt. It was not until I ate in a lot of good restaurants that I overcame that syndrome. I love York but its cooking is something else.

Casey3557

• Total Posts: 15
              RE: Shoo fly pie?? Thu, 07/17/08 10:02 AM (permalink)
              Shoo fly pies are wonderful! A couple of years ago my brother picked one up from a diner outside of Pottstown near the Coventry Mall that makes wonderful pies. The address is 1435 Hanover Street, Phoenixville. I do know that pies go very quickly. I also remember my parents favoring the "wet-bottom" style and we used to pick one up on our Sunday drives through Lancaster many moons ago.

NYNM

• Total Posts: 3037
                RE: Shoo fly pie?? Thu, 07/17/08 3:55 PM (permalink)
                Since this topic is listed under Ice Creams & Custards, I got to thinking, wouldn't that make a great ice cream flavor, Shoo-Fly Pie?

(Has anyone ever heard of it????)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com