BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10083
2008/06/17 20:42:12 (permalink)

BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga

There were so many possible titles to use for my weekend in Kansas City with wanderingjew and The Travelin Man. This thread was called CHICKEN & PANCAKES, but it has outgrown the original title.

ATTENTION Baseball Roadfoodies (BB-WJ-TTM)...

Cliff, Dale, & Steve, Please put all your reports into this one thread so as to give the audience a clear idea of the magnitude of your journey!!

Thanks- Al

Friday June 13

The report by all rights should be started by The Travelin Man, who was the first one to arrive in Kansas City. I know he had dinner at The Golden Ox. Obviously, he will have to fill in with that meal later.

TTM and I had spoken earlier in the day and we agreed to have a very late meal at Town Topic, Kansas City's all night burger stand. As my flight got delayed more and more, I was wondering if TTM would still be up for it. Being the Roadfood trooper he is, he didn't let me down. Once I reached the restaurant at 1:30AM, he was standing outside waiting.

Great neon sign at Town Topic!

This place is small with all counter seats. Even at 1:30AM they were packed, but we had only a short wait until a couple seats opened up. Here is a bad pic of the menu.

But we knew we were here to eat burgers. Both of us got doubles.

These are nice small patties with crispy edges. With all the onions on them, it reminded me of the onion burgers I recently ate in El Reno, Oklahoma. Very happy with this burger.

Since I hadn't eaten a huge steak dinner a few hours earlier, I also got a Coney. Obviously, I was expecting a hot dog, but got this instead.

There is a wiener on there buried underneath the chili and beans. Although I enjoy trying different things, this burger/dog combo just didn't work for me.

To drink, we both had shakes, with TTM enjoying the chocolate, I believe, while I sampled the banana.

Delicious shakes! Note the classic boomerang pattern on the counter.

TTM enjoyed seeing me snap photos of my neighbors tater tots.

Hey, if he didn't want his tater tots to end up in a trip report, he shouldn't have sat them near me.....that's what I always say!

There were plenty of signs advertising pie, but once again, I passed. I hope CajunKing and billyboy forgive me. I promise to make it up to you guys later in the trip!

After chatting in the parking lot for a while longer, we headed off to our respective hotels.

Town Topic gets a thumbs up from us!

By the way, what is with the weird little imp guy on the sign in the parking lot?

That's just creepy!

Much more to come.....

218 Replies Related Threads

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2886
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/17 21:21:13 (permalink)
    Again - no pie! Watch for lightening!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/17 21:23:36 (permalink)
    I'll Let you slide this time, knowing you will make it up in the coming days

ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2886
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/17 21:28:31 (permalink)
    BB - Here's a place in Chicago that puts a 1/4lb. dog on a half pound burger along with a few extra toppings...

GOBLIN COCK Bacon, Cheddar Cheese, ¼lb. Vienna Hot Dog, Tomatoes, Onion, Neon Green Relish, Sport Peppers, Pickles, Celery Salt Mustard - $12

Kuma's Corner names each burger with some pretty funky names. This one is sorta a Chicago style dog on a burger!

www.kumas-corner.com
    morningglory
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 559
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 03:28:38 (permalink)
    How come there are red x's where the pictures should be?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 08:20:42 (permalink)
    morningglory-
    Sorry to read you can't see the photos. They seem to be perfectly fine on my laptop and my work computer. Is anyone else having trouble seeing the pics? I wish I could offer a solution for you.....

CTD-
    No lightning strikes, yet. But I am keeping my eyes peeled to the sky! Chicago style dog on a bun? I'd try that.

CajunKing-
    Maybe I spoke too soon, since I don't think I had any pie the entire trip. Would you settle for lots of cake and ice cream? Almost makes it sound like I was at a kid's birthday party.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 10:26:00 (permalink)
    Saturday June 14

After being up so late, neither TTM nor myself had any interest in arising too early for breakfast. Unfortunately, I received a call from work at 7:00AM, which woke me up. I waited until 9:00AM to call TTM, who was up and willing to meet me at Niecie's for breakfast.

I arrived at Niecie's

at the designated time, but TTM decided it would be more fun exploring the less than lovely neighborhood. When I first walked in, one waitress saw the piece of paper (the Roadfood review) in my hand and asked what it was. Not thinking, I just replied that it was something to read. I didn't realize until later that it was Myra C., so prominently mentioned in the Stern's review and who waited on me when I was here in February. Seriously, what were the odds that she remembered me?

Once TTM arrived, he took very little time to look at the menu, since he had his heart set on that soul food classic, chicken & waffles. Bad news, the waffle iron is at Niecie's other location. The waitress offered chicken & pancakes as a substitute. I'm not really sure why we found this so amusing, but chicken & pancakes just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? What makes it even better is this sign outside of Niecie's, which TTM just had to pose next to on the way out.

Once the initial shock wore off, TTM took on the challenge of chicken & pancakes. Here is the chicken,

the pancakes,

and together.

I did not try any of his meal, but TTM seemed extremely happy with his food. The portion size was huge, by the way.

I was too busy wrestling with my eggs and potatoes

and some seriously delicious country ham.

Salty, chewy, with a powerful flavor, this is something you would expect to see in Tennessee, not Mizzou.

As the meal progressed, we engaged the waitresses in friendly banter, with TTM hassling them about the lack of waffles. At this point, our waitress threatened to pour the pot of hot coffee in his lap! Eating here is so much fun!

They have plenty of good options for dessert. I quickly settled on the lemon cake,

since it was closest to the fantastic caramel cake I had last time. Moist, with a subtle lemon flavor, this was really good cake. But, it was no match for TTM's chocolate cake.

Also incredibly moist, with a strong chocolatey flavor and perfect icing, this is one of the great simple desserts anywhere. Absolute cake perfection!

On the way out, Myra C. complained we had taken a photo of everything but her, so here she is with TTM.

With the quality of the food and the friendliness of the staff, Niecie's is a real Roadfood gem! I would never come to Kansas City without at least one meal here.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4488&RefID=4533

We got back in our cars, dropped my car (and the leftover chocolate cake) at my hotel and headed to the airport to pick up wanderingjew.

Much more to come.....
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3731
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 11:12:06 (permalink)
    Wow...I look miserably uncomfortable in that picture.

Niecie's was one of my favorite stops of the trip, so far. I have some more photos to add - and I am editing them as fast as I can. But, just to give you an idea....yesterday, I downloaded about 200 photos from my camera - most were not keepers, but they still take time to go through.

Also, I discovered that my camera has a 14x optical zoom while I was at the ballpark yesterday. I am pretty sure I could tell what brand of bubble gum the Carolina pitcher was chewing.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 11:20:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by The Travelin Man

Wow...I look miserably uncomfortable in that picture.
    Considering everything you had eaten in the previous eight hours or so, I'm not surprised!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 15:09:31 (permalink)
    Awww, it looks like you guys had a good time! And everything you ate was beautiful. Cliff, I like the way you lay these out.
    zataar
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 16:11:47 (permalink)
    What a great report, as usual! Your servings of cake look delectable. Niecie's is a cool place.
    I'm really disappointed I couldn't connect with you all this past weekend. I was occupied making cakes for 220 people among other food and desserts.

I'll be looking forward to the rest of your report, it sounds like you guys had a great time
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 18:56:15 (permalink)
    I am spending time catching up on Roadfood today and this is a great looking food trip.Thanks!!
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/18 21:17:18 (permalink)
    Cliff

I am definately going to let you slide, that cake looks AWESOME, I don't think I could have stopped with just one piece though.

It looks like you both have enjoyed your trip thus far. can't wait to see more from TTM and WJ.

buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/19 13:50:13 (permalink)
    Saturday June 14 cont.

After picking up wanderingjew at the airport and getting their car rental, we headed into Kansas and Oklahoma Joe's.

This is a very good barbecue parlor, inside a convenience store/gas station. Obviously, the word about this place is out, because the line was long and out the door.

What is shown in the photo is maybe 1/4 of the length of the line. But it did move fast and it gave us time to plot our strategy of what we were going to order. By the time we reached the menu,

we had already devised a gameplan.

WJ ordered the Smokie Joe, (sorry about the poor photo)

which is a chopped beef and pork sandwich. I had this when I ate here in February and loved it. WJ was happy with it, although he thought the meat was a little overdone.

TTM went for a special, the burnt ends sandwich,

and a side of fries.

I got the rack of ribs

and a side of the beans.

One of the nice things about having three of us is that we can order different items and share, which we did.

Before we left, I had a guy snap a photo of the three of us.

I believe all three of us give Oklahoma Joe's high marks!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4478&RefID=4527

Much more to come.....
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6196
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/19 13:57:15 (permalink)
    great report guys...food looks fine...the company I'm sure was,too!
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/19 14:15:14 (permalink)
    Those prices look pretty reasonable for what you're getting as well--and geez, your ribs look like Fred Flintstone's.
    exsquidao
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/19 14:17:00 (permalink)
    The ribs look great.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/19 14:36:45 (permalink)
    exsquidao & Nancypalooza
    I agree that those are some fine looking ribs and Fred would have been right at home eating those. We originally talked about getting three different meals and then the rack of ribs to split between us, but I think that would have done us in! And no, you can't complain about those prices.

zataar-
    We certainly wish you could have joined us for a meal while we were in KC, but there will be other opportunities.

CajunKing-
    I would have loved to had more than one dessert, but those slices of cake were huge! This is now twice I have been to Niecie's and not tried their homemade peach cobbler.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15184
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/19 14:55:04 (permalink)

I received a phone report from the two westward travelers this morning. All is well as they head West. No Heartburn from the previous activities!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/22 16:23:04 (permalink)
    Saturday June 14 cont.

After leaving Oklahoma Joe's, WJ suggested we go to an ice cream shop he has visited previously in Independence. Who am I to turn down ice cream? So, we headed back into Missouri and after a construction related detour, we found Clinton's Soda Fountain. For the record, TTM possesses mad navigational skillz.

This place is best known for the connection to the Truman's.

Apparently, Harry and Bess were regulars here. The inside is attractive, but doesn't have as an old timey feel as would be expected. Here is a shot of the inside, with TTM & WJ visible at the counter seats, charming the young lady soda jerk.

I got a butterscotch sundae, with chocolate ice cream. I believe this was called "Harry's favorite".

WJ went for the mint chocolate chip malt.

Truthfully, I can't remember what TTM had, but here is a photo of it. Maybe, he can tell us what it was.

By the way, the ice cream used here is Edy's.

As an added treat, a gentleman who looked just like Captain Lou Albano was also eating here at the same time. Good for him!

As we left, we spotted this cool looking church in Independence.

After all that food, we were no longer hungry. Or even hugry!

All of us were feeling tired, so each went to our respective hotels to relax.

Much more to come.....
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/22 16:34:04 (permalink)
    All looks good, my roadfood travelers!!!!So far, so good.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/22 18:07:25 (permalink)
    The cool church is the Community of Christ, formerly the RLDS Church. Independence is the home headquarters of the Community of Christ. They split from the Mormons here in the 1800s. The inside of the church is quite beautiful. It spirals up similar to the Guggenheim.
    We catered an after concert reception there after a YoYo Ma performance. It was a great place to cater and I got to meet YoYo Ma

I'm looking forward to more reports!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7684
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 00:16:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

Saturday June 14 cont.
    All of us were feeling tired, so each went to our respective hotels to relax.

RELAX!!!!!!!!!!

Who relaxed?????!!!

I ended up taking a 3 mile walk from my hotel through Country Road Plaza, then to Westport and finally back to my hotel in 88 degree weather with 88% humidity!

(from the hotel computer in Albuquerque)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 01:01:41 (permalink)
    WJ-
    Oh trust me, my comments on THAT are coming!
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2392
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 01:39:48 (permalink)
    The plot thickens!! (nyah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 08:13:11 (permalink)
    zataar-
    Thanks for the info on that church, since I was curious about it. It sounds like I would really enjoy seeing the inside.

Meeting Yo Yo Ma? How cool is that?!?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6648
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 12:59:27 (permalink)
    bb.........another great trip report, but man, I don't know how you do it! When are you going to "wander" up here to Alaska?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4177
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 14:39:38 (permalink)
    buffetbuster,

Very nice pix of Clinton's. I've got a brother in law in Indpendence who prides himself on knowing all the little hidden gems in town. The no good so-and-so has never mentioned Clinton's, so either he is not aware of it or he is holding back! Either way, Mrs. Roadhouse and I will be checking it out next time we're in town.

As for that church, I remember reading somewhere that the parishioners believe that their church is where Jesus will land in his spaceship when he returns to Earth. I could be wrong; maybe zataar or one of the other locals has better info on that situation.

Good stuff!

Buddy
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 19:40:49 (permalink)
    Saturday June 14 cont.

I felt much better after the couple hour nap I took at my hotel. TTM also napped at his hotel. Despite the fact he only got a few hours sleep the night before, WJ decided to powerwalk to Topeka in the heat. More about this later.....

Our next dining destination was LC's Bar-B-Q.

Since I had never been here before and it had received rave reviews, I was really looking forward to this one.

Not much to look at from the outside, but the inside looked exactly like it should.

That would be a much better photo is he was invisible.

Lots of interesting stuff on the menu I would have loved to have tried.

But, Kansas City is a burnt ends town, so all three of us ordered the burnt ends sandwich.

This is a sandwich that obviously requires a fork. Good smoky, crusty pieces of beef, we were all very happy with our sandwiches. WJ told me he preferred LC's over Oklahoma Joe's.

TTM ordered a side of fries and these hand cut beauties didn't last too long.

Good fresh cole slaw, too.

As good as the sandwich was, I wish I had ordered something else, so we all could have tried a few more things. I will chalk that up to poor decision making on my part.

The lady here who waited on us was particularly shaking her head at the sight of all three of us snapping away with our cameras, trying to get the perfect shots. I can only imagine what we looked like!

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=4477&RefID=2640

More to come.....
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: BB, WJ, & TTM June 2008 Baseball & Roadfood Saga 2008/06/23 20:08:07 (permalink)
    lleechef-
    As we discussed before, I never had a good meal in my two trips to Alaska. Obviously, I didn't have someone to point me to the good places like you. Actually, Alaska is one of the few states my cousin Johnny has never visited, so that should be in the near future.

As always, thanks for the kind words!

buddy-
    Give wanderingjew the credit for finding Clinton's. It should prove to be worth the stop.

If that is true what you said about that church, maybe I don't want to see the inside afterall!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1