The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport

rbpalmer

• Total Posts: 469
Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Thu, 06/19/08 3:11 PM (permalink)
Has anyone tried the Arthur Bryant's BBQ at KC International Airport? How does it compare with the original, at 1727 Brooklyn Avenue in KC? I'll be travelling to Kansas City next month and staying at a hotel near the airport without access to a car, so I'm wondering if it would be worth the considerable inconvenience to take public transportation from the airport to the above address, or if a stop at the airport Arthur Bryant's would suffice.

Sfreader

• Total Posts: 503
    RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 06/20/08 11:43 AM (permalink)
    It has been many years since I tried the Bryant's at the airport. At that time, the menu was limited, for example they didn't offer French fries. And they don't smoke meat at that location. You are getting reheated product from one of their other locations.

Not to mention that so much of Arthur Bryants is the setting.

When will you be here? Perhaps I could take you to Bryants.

Keith

buffetbuster

RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 06/20/08 11:50 AM (permalink)
      Too bad, I didn't know it was there, since I just flew through the airport in KC. Which terminal is it located in?

Sfreader

RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 06/20/08 12:10 PM (permalink)
        Terminal A somewhere around gate 8 or 9.

Keith

buffetbuster

RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 06/20/08 12:27 PM (permalink)
          Thanks for the reply Keith. And I was in Terminal A, too. Good future information!

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
            RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Wed, 07/9/08 1:07 PM (permalink)
            Actually, there is a restaurant at Terminal A which serves Arthur Bryant's bbq along with various other foods. We ate there on June 10th. My daughter and I each ordered pork sandwiches and my son had brisket sandwich. I cannot compare it to other Arthur Bryant's locations, because I have never eaten at one of them.

My sandwich (which came with fries) was decent sliced pork. Nothing exceptional, but I wanted to try Arthur Bryant's and this was an opportunity. My daughter was very disappointed. She expected pulled pork, not sliced. Additionally, literally 50% of her sandwich was fat. She made a huge pile on her plate of the so called meat that she could not (would not) eat. The response of our waitress was that she couldn't control that sort of thing and it did happen sometimes. This is what I generally refer to as the "captive audience at the airport" attitude. My son's brisket was not as good as what he is used to getting in Georgia. Surprisingly, metro Atlanta has a couple of excellent bbq brisket options: Sam & Daves' BBQ 1 and KC Pit BBQ.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
              RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Mon, 07/14/08 7:39 AM (permalink)
              RBPalmer - Better check out a pretty extensive review (Road Trips) from three guys doing a serious roadfood trip with baseball. Their comments and pictures about the original AB's, the place I've held in the highest esteem, are not good in comparison to LC's. You've got a decision to make.

Might want to research LC's a bit more, if you are going to take mass transit in from the airport. It might be the better choice at this point in time. Or, perhaps AB's was indeed just having a bad day.

Sfreader

RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Wed, 07/16/08 12:43 PM (permalink)
                I took an out-of-town friend to Byrants Sunday and she was delighted with it.

Keith

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                  RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Wed, 07/16/08 1:09 PM (permalink)
                  Although, my little story is about another restaurant at, another airport, my experience with "airport food" is similar. I stopped into Chili's at LAX while waiting for my plane. I ordered a cheeseburger, med-rare. What I got was a totally useless, really overcooked, dried out piece of meat. I didn't fuss. I just left it there and paid my bill.
                  I will say, on a subsequent visit, and, only because I was "starving", I ordered a bowl of chili after seeing one of my bar neighbor's chili. It was wonderful! Go Figure.
                  Moral: you never know what your going to get in an airport restaurant chain.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                    RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Thu, 07/17/08 11:41 PM (permalink)
                    Twinwillow - In a recent podt I mentioned my experience with Chili's..They will not make you a medium rare burger or at least that's what they told me several years ago before I stopped asking and stopped going. The manager told me that it was an insurance issue..E-coli.

I am surprised when you ordered a medium rare burger, the waiter did not say they can only do medium or more well done.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                      RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 07/18/08 12:34 AM (permalink)
                      I would not recommend eating at Arthur Bryant's in an airport food court. I am not sure that I could recommend eating at the original location anymore, either. That said, if you are desperate for a meal at an airport, I suspect you could do worse. But, if it is an effort to try AB's bbq, but you don't quite have the time to make it into town, then I don't think I would say that this is going to be in any way comparable.

With many, many, many miles logged in airports and on airlines, I can think of very few exceptional dining experiences. Based on those other dining experiences, I would likely not consider AB's at MCI.

Twinwillow

RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 07/18/08 12:40 AM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Baah Ben

Twinwillow - In a recent podt I mentioned my experience with Chili's..They will not make you a medium rare burger or at least that's what they told me several years ago before I stopped asking and stopped going. The manager told me that it was an insurance issue..E-coli.

I am surprised when you ordered a medium rare burger, the waiter did not say they can only do medium or more well done.

Never said a word! The amazing thing is, years ago (very early 70's) when Norman Brinkman bought the very first Chili's restaurant from it's original creator, Larry Lavine (only blocks from my home in Dallas) they served, without a doubt, the very best burgers I had ever eaten in my life up till then. The lines to get in to that original location at the corner of Meadow Road and Greenville Avenue was at least 50 people long at all times of times of the day. That's how good Chili's was before it evolved into a corporate chain.

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                          RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 07/18/08 12:59 AM (permalink)
                          Twinwillow -

I am almost ashamed to admit it, but before I discovered the concept of Roadfood, I was led down a very bad path, which included many dining nights out at what I now see as inferior restaurants. When I first moved to central Florida, my family took me out to the place that served the best burgers in town - Chili's. And, in 1989, over my somewhat inexperienced college freshman palette, I found them to be quite good. I don't know what happened over time - stopped using fresh ground beef, maybe? But, they are not at all the same, and even in this burger-lacking town, I would hesitate to refer someone there for a good burger.

Twinwillow

RE: Arthur Bryant's at KC International Airport Fri, 07/18/08 1:17 AM (permalink)
                            As I found out, sitting at the bar at Chili's in Terminal 4 at LAX, the best thing on the menu is a "bowl of red". After all, how bad could a bowl of chili be with a load of cheese and fresh onions on top. Especially, when you're starving, at the airport.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com