The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Biscuits and Gravy

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
Biscuits and Gravy Fri, 10/17/03 5:48 PM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

Sausage gravy and buiscuts is not just for breakfast anymore.

It is a wonderful cold night supper!

My husband is from the Deep South. Of England. He's from Eastbourne, 60 miles south of London, and has been over here in Maryland since 1991. We spent the weekend with a friend in Richmond several years ago, and went to one of those all-you-can-eat breakfast trough places. On the steamer table was . . .biscuits and gravy. Hubby had never had this, and, being an adventurous eater, got some. He'd tried grits and liked them, so why not? He loved them! The next day, our host was making breakfast, and made biscuits and sausage gravy for hubby. It's basically a rue made with browned sausage grease, with the sausage mixed back in.

Several months later, our host became guest, and hubby proudly served Biscuits and Sausage Gravy. Our guest said, "Wow! Where'd you learn to make these?!" Hubby said, "Well, you showed me!" But in the intervening time, hubby had been experimenting with the recipe. He now uses loose bratwurst meat rather than ordinary sausage meat, and gets Pillsbury cornbread biscuits instead of plain. They're faaabulous.

However, later that year, his mother came over from England for a visit. (Cue scary music.) Once again, he made up the nummy dish, and she took one look at it and said, "I'm sorry, but I can't eat this. It looks like someone's eaten it already." lol!!! Ah well, can't please everyone.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com