The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people

SmokeyWray

• Total Posts: 1
BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Tue, 07/1/08 1:07 PM (permalink)
First post and I come to ask your opinion on how to prepare BBQ chicken for a party of 40. I'm doing the cooking for my daughters 2nd B-Day and I need some help preparing for the cook. I DO NOT want to spend all day cooking, I'd rather enjoying as much time with my daughter as possible, so I'm trying to be well prepared. I'd like to have the chicken cooked and ready to go straight to the grill to get BBQ'd with sauce.

I make excellent Beer canned chicken and I've had good results for small parties (5-10). I normally just Rub the bird down with olive oil and a good dry rub, then stuff the can and roast in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes then down to 350 for about 90 - 105 minutes or until the bird is up to temp. Once the chicken is done, I rest for 10 minutes, then cut up into serving pieces, about 6.

Also, price is a huge concern. It's going to be expensive to feed all these people and I'm not sure how to buy the chicken. Should I buy them whole at $.89-$.99 per lb. or but whole cut up chicken? Leg quarters?

Do you think that beer canning the chickens would be the best method? I don't know of any other methods in the oven that will produce juicy on the inside but crispy skin on the outside.

Any tips would be excellent. I've never cooked for this many people before and I'm a little worried.

I'm also doing pulled pork. This will be smoked prior to the party and vac sealed and frozen then warmed, sauced and served when the chicken is done.

desertdog

• Total Posts: 1946
    RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Wed, 07/2/08 1:07 AM (permalink)
    You might find it better to use a BBQ catering company. Many of the teams that belong to your state BBQ Association do this for a living. Would be worth checking out. We did it for a birthday party - 100 people. Turned out great and had plenty of time to enjoy the party.

Mid Atlantic BBQ Assn: http://www.mabbqa.com/contact.html

DougH Nut

• Total Posts: 15
      RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Wed, 07/2/08 2:25 AM (permalink)
      What the heck is Beer canned chicken? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never heard of this before. I have this mental image of putting chicken parts into alumimum beer cans....

DougH Nut

• Total Posts: 15
        RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Wed, 07/2/08 2:54 AM (permalink)
        Ok. I did a search on Beer canned chicken, and I get it now. The chicken goes OVER the can. Man, I gotta try this!

LindaW

• Total Posts: 338
          RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Wed, 07/2/08 9:14 AM (permalink)
          DougH....it's been around for a while....they even have vertical holders that you slip the can in and then into the cavity of the chicken...makes it much more stable on the grill.

wallhd

RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Wed, 07/2/08 9:17 AM (permalink)
            Use google to search for Cornell Barbque Chicken. Done properly, there is no better way to have chicken.

Wally

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Thu, 07/3/08 3:58 PM (permalink)
              Quarters makes it easier

oil and rub your quarters

you can par bake them ahead of time and then finish them on the grill with a glazing of BBQ sauce to finish them off

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
                RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Thu, 07/3/08 4:13 PM (permalink)
                I'll second the Cornell recipe for chicken, google that; it's great. Cut down on the salt just a big.

Leg quarters offer the best value, and are easier to cook evenly that breast quarters (the leg quarters lay flat on the grill, and their shape makes it easy to "nest" them in a cross ways pattern to maximize grill usage).

Man, I can't imagine cutting up whole chickens for a crowd that big; what a hassle. I don't think the savings, if any, is worth it.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4900
                  RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Thu, 07/3/08 4:39 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by DougH Nut

Ok. I did a search on Beer canned chicken, and I get it now. The chicken goes OVER the can. Man, I gotta try this!

Doug, been doin chicken this way for 15 years.

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2016
                    RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Tue, 07/8/08 10:59 PM (permalink)
                    Leg Quarters, just wash,salt & pepper and grill. When done stack in a roaster pan. Pour sauce over the chicken, cover and hold in the oven or hot grill until ready to sever.

You didn't say when the party was or how big your grill is.

Rustywolf

• Total Posts: 176
                      RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Tue, 07/15/08 12:39 PM (permalink)
                      Cornell chicken.

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1792
                        RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Tue, 07/15/08 12:47 PM (permalink)
                        I helped out on a family reunion for 30-ish with grilled chicken, and par-baking them in the oven first greatly simplified the process and economized the time. We sauced and finished them on the grill.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6102
                          RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Fri, 07/18/08 5:17 PM (permalink)
                          40 guests , 60, 1/4 chickens. grill them the day before, wrap in tinfoil. day of event, unwrap chickens, bring to room temp, bring sauce to a boil, use the large tinfoil pans from Costco, layer the chicken 2 high, pour on hot bbq sauce, let the sauce bring the chicken up to warm, 1/2 hr.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9579
                            RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Sat, 07/19/08 2:41 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by DougH Nut

Google "Beer Can Chicken racks" and you wil get all kinds of sources where you can buy a rack to hold the can and support the bird so it doesn't tip over. Good investment! Also, all kinds of seasoning ideas and recipes on here!

Foodbme

RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Sat, 07/19/08 2:46 AM (permalink)
                              Smokey Wray,
                              What is the size and type of your grill? Propane? Charcoal? That will determine the best method for doing your chicken if you want to serve it all at once.

Foodbme

RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Sat, 07/19/08 2:56 AM (permalink)
                                The more I think about it, you might want to consider another product, like Hamburgers. If you've not done a large quanity of chicken before, it can be tricky. You need to make sure ALL the chicken is cooked thoroughly. With that many guests, you need to prevent undercooked chicken from being served. There's nothing worse than cutting into a piece of bloody, undercooked chicken! And you don't want anyone to becone ill!

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                  RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Sat, 07/19/08 8:01 AM (permalink)

The suggestions for pre-cooking are very good. To make things easier just start cooking the chickens about a hour prior to being placed on the grill. It is more than enough time to cook them thoroughly.
                                  Put the uncovered chicken in a 400 oven for a few minutes to crisp the skin. Then turn it down to about 250 and cook till done. Hold till serving. It's just that you are going to have a hard time finding a place for the chicken if you cooked it the day before let alone holding the raw product.

How much chicken is needed? I like chicken quarters, it gives a choice of white or dark meat. You should not be trying to cook chicken and cutting the stuff too. If you know how to cut up raw chicken, you could go for it. Even though I can cut those cluckers pretty fast, I would probably buy 1/4s for the simplicity and sanitation.

You do not want to have a lot of leftover chicken. If you get 13 cut-up chickens, it should be just about right. Usually people fill up on all the side dishes, couple that with the pulled pork and 1/4 of a chicken will be more than enough per person.

mark

wallhd

RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Sat, 07/19/08 8:27 AM (permalink)
                                    Back in the days when we did Cornell Chicken in quantity (like doing 1000 halves, etc) we would put the cooked halves in 40 quart milk cans. The cans had enough metal that the cooked birds would remain hot (hot, not just warm) for 2 or 3 hours. The chicken that had been held in the covered cans continued to steam for quite a while and was always especially tasty and tender.

The only problem I see with doing this in 2008 would be where to obtain 40 quart milk cans in good enough condition to use.

Makes my mouth water just to sit here writing about Cornell Chicken.

Wally

Cornell '67 if anyone cares!

Foodbme

RE: BBQ Chicken for 40-50 people Mon, 07/21/08 12:29 AM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by wallhd

Use google to search for Cornell Barbque Chicken. Done properly, there is no better way to have chicken.

Wally

You raised my curiosity so I Googled. Read the whole story about it's origin so decided to give it a try. Bought 4 bone-in breasts since that's all my bride will eat. Only had time to marinate them for about 4-5 hours. Grilled them a little low & slow and they were Delicious! I went a little heavy on Kosher Salt. will cut back next time. Can't imagine how good they will be with a full 24 hour marinade. I like to do Whole Chickens on a spit. Has anyone tried this method using the Cornell Marinade?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com