Potato pancakes!

Author
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
2003/10/17 19:58:05 (permalink)

Potato pancakes!

It may be my ethnic heritage but periodically I have a craving for potato pancakes. By this I mean the real ones made from finely ground potatoes and fried on a really hot grill until the edges are crispy! These are best served with salt and sour cream and perhaps a side of fried bacon. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

The problem is that they're so tough to find! Apple Annie's in the Eaton Centre of downtown Toronto served truly excellent potato pancakes but they've been closed for almost twenty years. The "potato pancake" efforts of other pancake houses just send me into a savage rage! Smitty's basically serves up a large hash brown, very much like the little ones at McDonald's. Not bad but they don't have either the right texture or the right flavour. The Golden Griddle and other pancake joints like Jocko's on Highway #2 just west of Hamilton have served me their regular wheat flour pancake with a small amount of ground potatoes in the batter! I've on occasion been driven to punctuate my dissatisfaction with this type of outright fraud by busting up the kitchen!

I actually have to make the trek to some of the Polish restaurants on Roncesvalles Avenue to get potato pancakes when I really need a batch!

I mean what gives? Am I asking too much to expect potato pancakes when I order precisely that? Is my request/demand really that difficult?

Do any of the pancake houses in your area serve legitimate potato pancakes or do you have the same problem I do?

52 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1