The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38
Liketoeat

• Total Posts: 552
RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Fri, 10/24/03 11:47 AM (permalink)
lleechef, enjoyed the further info re your period of Boston residence, and you are correct, the main Naval Shipyard is in Charleston. Am glad that M&M provided you with info re so many further places which sound so good. Hope you all can do/try as much as possible. And M&M I personally (for self) particularly enjoyed all your further Montgomery info. Was especially happy to read of The Sahara. Can't wait to try it as it sounds similar to a Greek owned seafood restaurant which years ago was located right in downtown Montg. (was name of it The Elite, can't remember for certain). I always so enjoyed it. I surely agree with your recommendation for a visit to the state archives & history building if time permits. Glad you mentioned name of the turkey operation south of Montg. (Bates) for I just could never remember its name. I surely agree with your recommendation of Original Oyster House out on Causeway at Mobile, but have a little reservation about Wintzells. In my opinion the old Wintzell's downtown on Dauphin St. is worth a visit if you have a meal to spare, for its decour and atmosphere are unique, but I really don't find its food to be as good as it was in years past. And, lleechef, definitely do NOT go to the new Wintzells out on Airport Blvd. across from Providence Hospital; eveything about it was awful only time I was there. Also last time I ate at Roussos (downtown right in Fort Conde Visitors Center area) it was pretty bad, and was told same by friends who had recently eaten there. M&M's mention of Montg. museum reminds me that you all might enjoy the City of Mobile museum and all the various features of the old City Hall complex, but still think your best best for Mobile "see this" info is to hit the Visitors' Center (tho I still recommend Bellingrath Gardens). Again you all have great trip south, lleechef, and appreciate all your info, M&M.

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
    RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Fri, 10/24/03 2:50 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Liketoeat

lleechef, enjoyed the further info re your period of Boston residence, and you are correct, the main Naval Shipyard is in Charleston. Am glad that M&M provided you with info re so many further places which sound so good. Hope you all can do/try as much as possible. And M&M I personally (for self) particularly enjoyed all your further Montgomery info. Was especially happy to read of The Sahara. Can't wait to try it as it sounds similar to a Greek owned seafood restaurant which years ago was located right in downtown Montg. (was name of it The Elite, can't remember for certain). I always so enjoyed it. I surely agree with your recommendation for a visit to the state archives & history building if time permits. Glad you mentioned name of the turkey operation south of Montg. (Bates) for I just could never remember its name. I surely agree with your recommendation of Original Oyster House out on Causeway at Mobile, but have a little reservation about Wintzells. In my opinion the old Wintzell's downtown on Dauphin St. is worth a visit if you have a meal to spare, for its decour and atmosphere are unique, but I really don't find its food to be as good as it was in years past. And, lleechef, definitely do NOT go to the new Wintzells out on Airport Blvd. across from Providence Hospital; eveything about it was awful only time I was there. Also last time I ate at Roussos (downtown right in Fort Conde Visitors Center area) it was pretty bad, and was told same by friends who had recently eaten there. M&M's mention of Montg. museum reminds me that you all might enjoy the City of Mobile museum and all the various features of the old City Hall complex, but still think your best best for Mobile "see this" info is to hit the Visitors' Center (tho I still recommend Bellingrath Gardens). Again you all have great trip south, lleechef, and appreciate all your info, M&M.

Ah, yes, the Elite. Of course, among native Montgomerians pronounced E' Lite, with the emphasis on the E. Our across the street neighbor worked there when I was growing up. It was a fine place. The Sahara is a little fancier than the Elite but there is not a rigid dress code. I would recommend business casual in the evenings and around holidays. For lunch most anything is ok but the crowd is usually fancy enough that tee shirts and shorts won't fit in. I especially recommend butterpeas as a vegetable there. A cross between a pea and a butterbean I guess. Very sweet. Very good. Certainly haven't seen anything like them in STL.

I agree with your assessment of Russo's I am sorry to say. It is certainly not what it used to be when it lived on the causeway. In fact, when M and I were in Mobile earlier this year we stayed just down the street at the Malaga Inn and even the desk clerk recommended against the place. Too bad. But Fort Conde next door is an intersting stop as is the City of Mobile Museum as you suggest. By the way, did you ever eat at the old Blue Gill in Mobile? Now that was a joint!

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
      RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Fri, 10/24/03 3:25 PM (permalink)
      There is a very good "Catfish House", a log building just off the I-65 Pratville exit (east of the Holiday Inn toward Millbrook) a few miles north of Montgomery. Along with a big bucket of hushpuppies, they bring a pewter pot of great northern beans to hold off the hunger pangs until the catfish arrives.
      If you should decide that you are in a hurry to get from Birmingham to NOLA, the trip via I-59 by Hattiesburg is 60 miles closer and a lot less congested than the Mobile route, cutting more than an hour off my time since I can move on much better. I am much more relaxed driving down I-59 with the 100 yard median most of the way. It feels a lot less threatening to have oncomning traffic that far away instead of just across the very narrow medians on I-65 and I-10. Just beware of the very appropriate 35 MPH speed zone for the 2 miles (and sharp curves) of I-59 passing by Laurel, Mississippi 20 miles north of Hattiesburg. I don't know of any other interstate highways with a 35 mph speed limit, but you can't safely navigate those curves at much more than that.
      AND one place you must have missed in Hattiesburg is "Letha's Barbecue Inn" on highway 98 south (about 3 miles west of I-59). Granted, Letha's doesn't have the same ambiance that it did when it was located in her shotgun house by the railroad tracks in Columbia, Mississippi, but she still serves up some of the best ribs you will ever taste (see the original "Roadfood" book for a write up of the Columbia location). And "Corky's" BBQ of Memphis fame has a location at one of the shopping centers on highway 98 just off I-59. There is also a good New Orleans style restaurant in Hattiesburg, "Crescent City Grill", but since you will be headed to NOLA this probably wouldn't interest you.
      There is a good Friday night and Saturday night seafood buffet at "Gollywhoppers Catfish Cafe" about 12 miles east of Laurel (I-59 exit 97)off highway 84 at Lake Bogue Homo. You would probably have to ask for directions, but it is just across the road from the lakeshore. I particularly like the fried oysters they put on the line. And "Vic's" just off I-59 at Laurel is TRUE soul food.

Liketoeat

RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Fri, 10/24/03 4:54 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for the further info M&M. Though I got all confused about the terms merliton, alligator pear, vegetable oyster, etc. in a different forum, glad I did correctly remember the name of The Elite in Montgomery, and it was indeed a most delicious place for dinner. I can't wait to try the Sahara and Jubilee Seafood on my next visit. And, no, I never tried The Blue Gill, tho I passed right by it on every Causeway crossing for years. You are right that Russo's decline began when it left the Causeway for those fancy Fort Conde area digs, and such decline has just continued and worsened over the years. And, yes, I know all about butterpeas, having grown up with them as a kid. Now that you are in St. Louis, what are some of your favorite restaurants there? Many good ones are available. Joekirkwood, a sometimes Roadfood poster, has done an extensive spreadsheet of St. Louis area restaurants. Though I see some people now criticize it, Cunetto's House of Pasta is still one of my favorite restaurants in the entire US. Everything there is to me so good, and would most particularly enjoy one of its Pranzo salads about now. Thanks for your further info.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6220
          RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Sat, 10/25/03 5:48 PM (permalink)
          Wow, again I am overwhelmed at the amount of information you all have so kindly taken time to send. "Gollywhoppers Catfish Cafe" and "Vic's" sound very interesting, to say the least!!! We think we have talked my 80-year old uncle (who sent me to culinary school in the beginning) from Michigan to meet up with us in Bham, to join in the roadfood extravaganza, as he too, has never been there, except to Mobile.

Liketoeat

RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Sun, 10/26/03 4:52 PM (permalink)
            lleechef, do hope your uncle will be able to join you all for your Alabama to New Orleans jaunt. Surely kind and thoughful of you to want to include him and should be wonderful for all of you. Obviously from his past actions, for which know he feels he's been well rewarded by your success, he's an appreciator of food adventures.

M&M

• Total Posts: 106
              RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Sun, 10/26/03 6:06 PM (permalink)
              And this just in:

Big Mac, my best friend in B'ham, were comiserating with each other over the terrible loss Alabama suffered yesterday at the hands of the hated Volunteers when he suggested the following favorite eat spots: Jim & Nicks (BBQ & cream pies), Nicki's West (meat and three reviewed on Road Food), Smoke House, Karen's Cafeteria and Fish Market.

You will indeed be able to eat Vulcan buns in the Magic City and now, you can once again see the heafty derriere of the Forge God. His rehabilitation is complete and he once again stands atop Red Mountain. And, if you are so inclined, here is a recipe for Vulcan Buns

1 pkg. active dry yeast
              1/4 cup warm water
              1/2 cup butter
              2 T. sugar
              2 eggs plus 1 yolk beaten (reserve white and set aside)
              1 t. oregano
              1 t basil
              1 & 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
              1/2 cup chpped dried tomatoes
              1 cup milk
              5 cups all-purpose flour sifted three times
              1 t. salt
              olives or feta cheese

Dissolve yeast in water. Cream bteer and sugar. Add yeast, eggs, oregano, basil, cheddar cheese, dried tomatoes, and milk to butter and sugar. Add flour and salt. Knead 5 to 8 minutes on floured board; place dough in a greased bowl, covered; put in warm place and allow to rise one hour or until doubled.

Stir down risen dough, turn onto lightly floured surface, and form into smoot loaf. Divide into 36 balls, each the sise of a large walnut.
              With finger punch hole in ceter of each ball and put either one pimento-stuffed olive or a chunk of feta cheese in each hole; pinch two balls, pinched side down in each cup of a greased muffin tin. Mix the extra eg white with 1 T water and brush it on tops of the buns. Allow to rise 45 minutes to an hour util almost doubled.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 7 minutes; brush again with egg wash and bake another 7-8 minutes. Yields 18 buns.

And this article you may find of interest.
              http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire200310220843.asp
              http://www.nationalreview.com/derbyshire/derbyshire200310240933.asp

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6220
                RE: Out of Alaska and on to Birmingham!! Sun, 10/26/03 6:54 PM (permalink)
                Two very interesting and well written (and humurous) articles! Thanks!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 38 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com