The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Regional Dogs Mapped and Catalogued

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 33 of 33
Niagara

• Total Posts: 983
RE: Regional Dogs Mapped and Catalogued Fri, 07/11/08 10:06 AM (permalink)
I question listing Rochester's red & white hots as a "regional" style and ignoring Buffalo-sytle hot dogs - Sahlens dogs charcoal grilled, poked and burnt like Ted's serves. These are much more typical of Wesern New York than Rochester's dogs and garbage plates.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7410
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Regional Dogs Mapped and Catalogued Fri, 07/11/08 10:13 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

In regards to you request I am going to give the recipe for authentic Detroit Coney Sauce.
    First the proper Dog.
    Never use a budget dog.
    Whenever possible use in this order Koegle, Dearborn, Sabrett,Kowalski,or Boars Head. All with Natural casing!!!!
    Dogs must be grilled on a griddle or a cast iron skillet on medium low with a small ammount of butter and vegetable oil. Constant turning of dogs is a must and they must never split open. You will be looking for a consistant light brown color with a darker line of brown on 2 sides.If dogs are straight they can be rolled back and forth regularily to insure even cooking with a large hamburger flipper. If curved use kitchen tongs and adjust next to the other dogs. NEVER BOIL A HOTDOG! The only onion to use is a large very white one. It must be chopped very fine to the point that if it was any smaller it would be a liquid. This is imperative as an onion has a different taste when chopped larger. Onion particles will be about 1/8 inch square.

In a very large preheated pot with 1 cup of lard simmer 5 lbs of ground round and 1/2 lb cow heart ground fine on medium heat until it seperates and turns just brown. This mixture must be stirred recularly and mashed during process to create a kind of rough paste.
    In a cast iron skillet put 6 tablespoons of butter and melt it then add 6 tablespoons of flour and make a light brown roux and set aside. Cut 3 tomatoes in half and roast in a 450 degree oven with a little vegatable oil on top until completely cooked and starting to turn into mush with a slight browning taking place. Set these aside.Add 32 ounces of chicken stock to meat simmer for 20 minutes at a slight boil then add roux, cooked tomatoes, 3 tablespoons chili powder,4 table spoons paprika,1/3 cup plochmans yellow mustard,2 tablespoons tumeric, 2 tablespoons cumin powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder not salt,and 1 tablespoon onion powder. Simmer this down to the proper consistancy.
    Steaming buns is the best way in a home enviorment a chinese steamer basket works well or you can wrap them in paper towells and microwave 3 at a time on high for about 20 seconds. Open bun place dog spread slightly thinned yellow mustard over dog. Cover with Coney sauce then top with onions. Additional mustard may be added however cheese or KETCHUP is never allowed lets leave that to the people in ohio ok.

Cincinnati Chili Recipe

1 large onion chopped
    1 pound extra-lean ground beef
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa or 1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate
    1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    1 (16-ounce) package uncooked dried spaghetti pasta
    Toppings (see below)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, saute onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until ground beef is slightly cooked. Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayene pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat.

Cook spaghetti according to package directions and transfer onto individual serving plates (small oval plates are traditional).

Ladle chili over spaghetti and serve with toppings of your choice. Oyster crackers are served in a separate container on the side.

Cincinnati chili lovers order their chili by number. Two, Three, Four, or Five Way. Let your guest create their own final product.

I leave the 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon out. But the Cocoa in.

Two-Way Chili: Chili served on spaghetti

Three-Way Chili: Additionally topped with shredded Cheddar cheese

Four-Way Chili: Additionally topped with chopped onions

Five-Way Chili: Additionally topped with kidney beans

Toppings:
    Oyster Crackers
    Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    Chopped Onion

There are many recipes available but this one is close. Also I like too cook the meat very low and then run it thru a food processor until it is even finer. I know Camp Washington cooks it down for many hours. I live in Dayton Ohio and get to Cincy all the time I dont make it too often as I enjoy going to Camp Washington and Dixie so much.

Read the review on Camp Washington Chili. A true 1 location Roadfood Joint that has been there for decades.

These are the recipes I use to make both of them enjoy....Russ

If you look at the internet, many of the Detroit style Coney Sauces include nutmeg, allspice etc. It's been 3 years or so since I last had a Detroit Coney Dog (at National Coney Island at the Airport) but I remember the taste being almost identical to the Cincinnati Style. I truly can't remember if the texture is similar as it's been 5 years since I had a Cincinnati Coney Dog.

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
      RE: Regional Dogs Mapped and Catalogued Fri, 07/11/08 7:04 PM (permalink)
      The only thing I can contribute to this thread is that I linked to that article/list in my seriouseats newsletter, and I thought it was very interesting.

I don't eat chili or onions or any of that, so I bow out and continue to read the posts.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 33 of 33

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com