The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Biscuits without Gravy!

flowercat

• Total Posts: 48
Biscuits without Gravy! Sun, 10/19/03 3:33 PM (permalink)
I was out on a long walk and decided that I needed some Popeye's spicy chicken, so I picked up a two piece spicy with red beans & rice and a biscuit.

I feel that they make the best biscuits bar none except I don't feel that they would go that well with gravy, but stand out by themselves.

As I don't eat ketchup, I often order gravy for my french fries but that's for a different forum.

seafarer john

RE: Biscuits without Gravy! Sun, 10/19/03 5:28 PM (permalink)
    We go to Popeyes when we are in Florida and just order some biscuits to take out. They must be eaten immediately as they dont keep well.

Jennie

• Total Posts: 389
      RE: Biscuits without Gravy! Sun, 10/19/03 7:21 PM (permalink)
      Okay, as we were on the biscuits topic already (i.e. with gravy), I experimented this morning with hubby's self-rising flour. Some of his sponge puddings require it, so we had it on hand. Right on the back of the bag (Washington brand) was a recipe, so I made some up just to have with butter and jam. They were good, and quite easy. However, our kitchen is difficult for two people to work in at the same time, and I'm not so sure how easy it would have been if he were trying to make gravy and I was trying to make biscuits simultaneously.

spadoman

• Total Posts: 228
        RE: Biscuits without Gravy! Tue, 10/21/03 8:52 AM (permalink)
        I learned how to make bisquits from a neighbor. Now I live in Minnesota, but this woman who lived next door was from Valdosta, GA. (is that anywhere near the now infamous Athens?)
        She said to use self rising flower and she said you can make em' with butter or margarine, but the real way is to use Crisco or Spry.
        Use your hands to make a crumbly mixture of the self-rising flour, baking powder and cream of tartar.
        Use very cold milk to work into dough. She told me to add small amounts of the milk until you could grab it and it was tacky but not stick to you.
        Flatten them out with your palm and use a water glass rim to cut into circles.
        I tell you, they are good. Fluffy and tasty, great with gravy, or plain with butter, home made jam, honey or baked in a chicken caserole.

skylar0ne

• Total Posts: 473
          RE: Biscuits without Gravy! Tue, 10/21/03 10:14 AM (permalink)
          I have never been good at working with any kind of dough, so my attempts at homemade biscuits have always left a lot to be desired. But I can have biscuits as good as the best homemade any time I want, since Pillsbury came out with the frozen ones in the plastic bag. There are a couple of varieties, such as homemade, buttermilk, and a couple more, but I personally prefer the buttermilk. If you try these, I give you my word you will think you're eating a pan of granny's best.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com