New idea and would love your input

Author
rollin wings
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
2008/07/17 12:13:25 (permalink)

New idea and would love your input

Hi Everyone.
I have been on the boards here for a while and have been enlightened in many ways as I have researched different topics of interest. Many of you seem genuinely helpful and willing to offer assistance to people like me looking to venture into the world of food carts.
My idea is to operate a hot wing cart. My initial plan is to get all the licensing to sell wings after ball games and concerts to see if this is manageable. There are thousands of people that stream out of Broncos games, Rockies games (I live in Denver) as well as the many concert venues and I feel they would love to have wings as an alternative to the other vendors I have seen including hot dogs and burritos out of coolers. One of my concerns is the fact that I envision this as a single item sale strongly branded as wings, yet I also feel that could be a strength as I am a believer in the "kiss" (keep it simple stupid) theory. As with many places around the country I continue to see wing joints open up almost on every block and I have yet to see a mobile cart business model that has fully taken advantage of the popularity of hot wings.
Please keep in mind two things. One, I am a Full on addict of hot wings and have come up with a really good wing sauce recipe that is as good as any wing place I have been to. Two I see this a an income supplement. I do not expect to get rich working 2 hours a week. I want this to be profitable and something I can make decent money at part time and if it seems to work I will expand with more carts and people and will reevaluate the potential of it becoming more full time. But I have no unrealistic expectations at this time, but that is where I am looking to other members of the forum. Am I missing anything? Part of my excitement is that I am yet to see someone selling wings in this way, yet there may be a reason why that I am not seeing. I envision money being made with only wings, chips, drinks and tips. Lastly, I have yet to have found a reasonably priced cart that will facilitate a fryer. Can I just get a standard cart and add a table top fryer? I already have a large propane fryer we have used for frying turkey that can do 50-75 wings in a shot. I imagine I can have that set up in a safe place behind the scenes so to speak away from any drunken stray that may bump it. I plan to prefry the wings and have a large volume of sauce ready to go for speed, but that also brings up the question how do I transport that many wings with the space I see available in most food carts. Maybe just a large cooler? Anyway. That is my plan in a nutshell. I have shared it with a few people and have managed to scrape together $5k so far to start. I really appreciate any input you can offer. Good bad or indifferent. I expect learning many things the hard way as I approach this but if one piece of advice saves one mistake I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

36 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1