The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1059
Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Sun, 07/20/08 6:16 PM (permalink)
Folks' my company has seen fit to exile me to Kingsland Ga for several weeks to work at the base. I am jonesing for good BBQ. The local really fantastic roadside joint, Blue's, is closed for renovation. Total bummer. I will not dignify Sonny's with my presence so what's left? well I saw these signs for Jack's BBQ off exit 1 on I95 north or south. Anybody ever been there? Any good? Help!!!

brisketboy

RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 07/21/08 7:07 PM (permalink)
    Answering my own question. Very unspectacular. Maybe because we were early and were eating leftover lunch ribs, but they were mushy, not much pull when you bite into the rib. Meat's falling off the bone and pretty dry. My two sides were turnip greens and corn on the cob. Again, very unspectacular. The sauce was very blah, even the "hot". Texas toast in Georgia (?) Not. Brunswick stew had no flavor. Maybe I just caught them at a bad time. So having said that, I'll try the lunch and see if I just came at a bad time.

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
      RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 07/21/08 7:24 PM (permalink)
      You should really give Sonny's in Kingsland a try. We were there about three months ago when they had all you can St. Louis ribs for $10.99. It was delicious. I posted a review on here but can't find it.
      Charlie

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
        RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 07/21/08 8:01 PM (permalink)
        I've had a lot worse than Sonny's. No, it will never replace a great indy "Q" place, but it sure beats one that is not any good. They are consistant and really not bad IMHO.

seafarer john

RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 07/21/08 8:29 PM (permalink)
          Brisketboy: Go down to St Mary's and have some seafood - We stay in Kingsland every year on our way to Florida and we never eat there any more because we never found anything good, but we have had some outstanding rock shrimp, and other seafood in St Mary's.

Cheers, John

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
            RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 07/21/08 11:57 PM (permalink)
            It seems to me there is a BBQ place kind of trailer with outdoor tables with University of Georgia Bulldog flags, banners and such very near the I-95 exit. It's on the right if you're headed into town near the burger king. Don't know the name of the place but the smoke was pouring out of the cookers and they were doing a big Friday night business when we were through.

brisketboy

RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Tue, 07/22/08 4:22 PM (permalink)
              Name of the place is/was Blues. Evidently, the local rumor is that Mr. Blue is in the state Penn for double homicide. Bummer because his Q was really good. In fact I used to bring him rub from Rudy's and the Salt Lick in Texas. Who'da thunk it? ut I have been to St. Mary's and the Trolly has all the oysters you can eat for 16 bucks every Thursday. The St. Johns seafood is pretty good. Maybe I just went to Sonny's on a bad night, I will try it again.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Tue, 07/22/08 10:40 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by ces1948

You should really give Sonny's in Kingsland a try. We were there about three months ago when they had all you can St. Louis ribs for $10.99. It was delicious. I posted a review on here but can't find it.
                Charlie

Check the FFR and Chain thread. I just bumped it today. With my pics of Sonnys.. I love Sonnys also, CES.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
                  RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Wed, 07/23/08 2:43 PM (permalink)
                  Jack's is ok but at Exit 26 (Dover Buff Road) is a great BBQ place. The service is fine; the place is nice and clean, and best of all is the food. The pulled pork sandwiches are terrific and all the sides that we have had there are excellent. We have never had the ribs but saw that many locals were eating them and saying how good they are.

You can see the stacks of wood out by their burner whis is always a good sign and they are opened every day of the week. I am sure that you will really like Choo Choo's BBQ! Coming north on 1-95, you turn right and it is right there so it is a stone
                  s trow from the highway.

brisketboy

RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Wed, 07/23/08 4:33 PM (permalink)
                    Thanks everyone, that's why I love this place. If you're ever in Texas, come visit.

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                      RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 08/11/08 2:17 PM (permalink)
                      Funny thing I saw that caught my eye..
                      When I was coming home this past Sunday to Florida, I saw "Jacks" had placed about 5 signs in the grssy area of I-95 (right side) right before the exit.
                      "Jacks BBQ"-with red letters and an arrow pointing to the right.
                      Something you normally dont see on an interstate.

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
                        RE: Jack's BBQ In KIngsland and Woodbine Mon, 08/11/08 2:32 PM (permalink)
                        Choo Choos! I have been mentioning that place everytime someone comments about the Ga Pig in Brunswick. Someobdy on this site has been to Choo Choos besides youself and said it was very good, too.

They use to advertise on those I-95 Road signs that list the restaurants at each exit. Red letters on a white sign "Choo Choos BBQ"

Thanks Greymo! I'll be there in the beginning of October! Do you happen to recall if they also serve chicken?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com