The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

SW Michigan suggestions please.

glennpan

• Total Posts: 90
SW Michigan suggestions please. Sun, 10/26/03 4:52 PM (permalink)
Hello,

I am going to be spending a weekend with my wife in New Buffalo, MI which is in the Southwest corner of the state. Does anybody have suggestions of places to go?

Thanks,

Glenn

oldfrt

• Total Posts: 269
    RE: SW Michigan suggestions please. Fri, 10/31/03 11:21 PM (permalink)
    SW Michigan. Go to SAM's Joint near Plainwell or near Holland for great Ribs. Also, the "What Not Inn" West of Fennville. Food was "OK" but the service and entertainment was great!

Have a great time!

Pat and Don
    Castle Rock, Colorado

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
      RE: SW Michigan suggestions please. Wed, 11/12/03 12:54 PM (permalink)
      I'm very familiar with southwestern Michigan, as my family owns a vacation house in Harbor Country. Here are some of my suggestions:

Jenny's in Union Pier on the Red Arrow Highway is a fine place for a quiet dinner, without the ticky-tack feel of a lot of other restaurants in the area that cater mainly to tourists. The prices are a bit high, but I have fond memories of the one meal I had there.

Tabor Hill Winery, east of Sawyer, is on the back roads and somewhat difficult to find, but it also offers sophistication. Prices are also rather high. It's a very pleasant drive - get off 94 going east at Bridgman and follow the signs.

We always hit the Blue Plate in Union Pier for breakfast. Wonderful baked goods, pancakes, waffles, etc. Nice atmosphere. No credit cards.

A less expensive dinner place that we're always satisfied with is Red Arrow Roadhouse, also in Union Pier on the Red Arrow Highway. The fried chicken there is excellent - definitely fresh, not frozen. That's all I ever order, but my wife assures me other entrees are also good. The atmosphere is "roadhouse" - meaning noisy and a bit chaotic. But that shouldn't dissuade you. Great for kids (my son always wants to play video games in the back afterward)

We're not big on burgers, but lots of people like Redamak's in New Buffalo.

glennpan

• Total Posts: 90
        RE: SW Michigan suggestions please. Fri, 11/14/03 9:13 AM (permalink)
        Thank you for the suggestions. Just got back from there November 1-2.

We stayed at the Harbor Grand and ate there for a couple of meals. They have a free wine tasting every day, and we combined that with a nice dinner there. They have a very nice off-season deal for $99 night which includes a room overlooking Lake Michigan complete with a jacuzzi, champagne, and chocolate chip cookies. Very well worth it. In fact with the weather at 75° one of the days we spent at the Dunes.

Tried going to Redamak's but they are closed until March. Wound up having a dinner at Schuler's in Stevensville. Very good prime rib, very good lake perch, not so good London broil.

We went to the Tabor Hill winery, and that was very nice, and upscale. The people were very friendly there. Went to Joe Jacksons farm stand for some snacks and was amazed with their selection and prices.

I do look forward to going back and trying the places you mentioned.

Glenn

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com