The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville

norton

• Total Posts: 16
Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Sun, 08/3/08 10:31 AM (permalink)
Arguably the worst BBQ I ever ate. hadn't been there in several years and now I know why. They've moved and I almost drove past it and wished I had. Pulled meat was dry and looked like several weeks old. Sides were also bad. Never go back!

Baah Ben

• Total Posts: 3026
    RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Sun, 08/3/08 11:24 AM (permalink)
    Norton - I think I've got that honor - Woodland's in Blowing Rock, NC.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 9:15 AM (permalink)
      Norton
      I bought one of the original editions of Vince Staten's book 20 years ago...Thinking this guy was one of the "Great ForeFathers" of modern BBQ research etc etc. Is his stand still on Shelbyville road or have they moved again??? We tried the Shelbyville road location 3 times between 2001 and 2006 and found it to be "YUCK" each time. Dry, Old, Flavorless, and with teeny-bopper service that rivaled McDonalds for lack of concern and manners.
      I second your negative comment big-time. There are several decent BBQ places in the Louisville area...but Old Vince isn't in that group !!

Try- Jucy's in PeeWee Valley, Or one of the Bootleg BBQ locations for some decent BBQ and there are others that we haven't visited for a long time that probably fit in the "good Group" also.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7384
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 9:17 AM (permalink)
        I still say thatHarold's BBQ in Atlanta earns that distinction

buffetbuster

RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 3:06 PM (permalink)
          Vince Staten's BBQ appeared in the Eat Your Way Across the USA book and I ate there for the first time in 1999. My buddy Bill and I were both impressed by the quality of the 'que. And since Vince had written the book on the barbecue, he had sauces available in his store from famous parlors across the country. I was dating a woman who grew up in Kansas City at the time and she was quite pleased when I gave her a bottle of Arthur Bryant's sauce.

I returned just a few years later (2001, maybe) with my cousin Johnny and the place had a completely different look. All the bottles of sauce were gone and the place looked a little run down. The food was disappointing.

I tried it a third time just a few years ago and it was simply awful. Bad service, bad food and even worse atmosphere. This is a place I would not make a return visit.

It is no surprise this place no longer appears in the Stern's books.

WJ-The food I ate here on my third visit was even worse than Harold's, if you can believe it!

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
            RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 5:29 PM (permalink)
            I don't know if this a coincidence but we have a guy named Vince Staten who writes a very nice column in our local paper The Kingsport(TN) Timesnews. He quite often talks about living in Louisville for some years and he has written a couple of books on BBQ including a bbq travel guide called "Real Barbeque" but I've never heard him mention owning a restaurant while in Louisville. Here's a link to his blog
            http://vincestaten.blogspot.com/ and also the newspaper www.timesnews.net

He is a Kingsport native and returned here several years ago to care for his elderly mother and seems like a heckava nice fellow. It sounds like he may have sold his place to someone who ran it down.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 5:43 PM (permalink)
              CES
              That's the same guy. REAL BARBECUE is one of the original "let's go find the source of the Real BBQ in the USA". First editions of his book were selling for over $100 as recently as last year on Ebay. Since then he has done either a second printing or a second edition which may have altered the collectors value of the original edition.

Since I didn't visit his place until after whatever change "happened" I can't compare to the 'Good' reviews he garnered...but the poor quality and bad service still bears his name. That's a real shame too because a lot of folks continue to revere him as a stawart in the history of BBQ in this country.

ces1948

RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 5:58 PM (permalink)
                I'm tempted to get in touch with him and let him know, I met him a couple of times but I'm sure he doesn't remember me. Seems like the kind of guy that would be upset if he knew. He mainly writes a "the way it was" column about growing up in Kingsport.

Charlie

Louis

• Total Posts: 713
                  RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Tue, 08/5/08 8:01 PM (permalink)
                  Ces, that's the same guy. Nice fellow. Back in 1994/95, I sat down in his restaurant with him and we talked for an hour. He had written an article on Duncan Hines, and I was working on the biography at the time. I was impressed with the place, and even came back a couple of years later, but it could be he's not there on a day-to-day basis any longer or has turned the management of his restaurant over to someone else.

norton

RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Sat, 08/9/08 9:12 AM (permalink)
                    The restaurant had moved since the last time I was there, about 1/4 mile east from where it was on highway 42.
                    Went to GT South's in Indy yesterday and it was awesome! Highly recommended.

AaronM

• Total Posts: 196
                      RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Thu, 08/14/08 11:13 AM (permalink)
                      Norton...I work just on Raymond St less than 2 miles from GT South's on Emerson. I love that place...awesome pulled pork. One of my fav Pizza places...Jockamo Upper Crust in Irvington uses their sauce on ther BBQ Chicken Pizza. I suggest you try it.

ces1948

RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Thu, 08/14/08 12:17 PM (permalink)
                        I did send an e-mail to Vince about a week ago advising him about the problems being reported here. I gave him this website address and told him he was welcome to come here and post. I haven't received a reply to my e-mail.
                        Charlie

norton

RE: Stay away from Vince Statens in Louisville Thu, 08/21/08 5:42 PM (permalink)
                          I had been to GT South's a few times but had been a while so I rode up a week ago. The ribs were awesome and so were the sides. Thanks for recommending them.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com