Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Most Unusual Pasta Dish???

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53
leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 1:14 PM (permalink)
Thanks for the info..I'm going down to our Italian deli and I'll get some Orecchiette...thanks.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 1:30 PM (permalink)

We used to make a escargot and roast garlic ravioli at one place. Another dish was with a house made whole wheat fettucine, cabbage, beans and pancetta. There also was a papardelle with porcini mushrooms.
    Truthfully, I think it is when I make rissoto that I can really mix things into the dish.

Truth is that we are all missing the wide variety of noodle dishes from other cultures. Love them Asian noodles from everywhere.

mark

NebGuy

• Total Posts: 875
      RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 1:52 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by leethebard

Thanks for the info..I'm going down to our Italian deli and I'll get some Orecchiette...thanks.

Just in case you were going to ask me how I make it.
      I just kind of wing it but here is the basics.

1/4 cup olive oil
      1-1/2 tbls minced garlic
      6 minced anchovy fillets
      1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
      1-1/2 ls broccoli rabe
      1 lb orecchiette

Bring pasta water to a boil and add broccoli rabe. I only cook for a minute but if you like it softer cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe and when the water returns to a boil add the orecchiette and cook to your liking. Al dente for me.

Heat the olive oil and then add the garlic, anchovies, and red pepper and cook for a few minutes then add the broccoli rabe and mix well then add the drained orecchiette and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and maybe more red pepper depending on how spicy you like it. Sometimes I add some minced parsley at the end.

You can use less garlic and anchovies all depends on individual preference.

Don't forget a salad and some wine.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
        RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 2:08 PM (permalink)
        quote:

My mom got a Swiss Pasta dish from a Swiss friend in the 50's. It still is popular in our family...my own kids love it..Here it is...I urge you to try it!
        Irene's Swiss Pasta-Shell All In One

In a skillet,fry two onions in plenty(about a stick ) of butter 'til onions are soft.Add salt to taste.
        Add a hefty amount of ground up sirloin(perhaps two pounds or so..and stir til done and meat is broken up.Just drain some of the fat..it is better to use a less fatty ground meat.
        Separately cook some fresh or frozen peas(not canned).
        Prepare a pound of LARGE Pasta shells(NOT the jumbo stuffing shells)according to package.
        Drain pasta and add a little meat sauce to the drained pasta with the butter to prevent pasta from sticking
        Serve each plate by making a nice layer of pasta,followed by a nice amount of meat and onions with the butter .
        Spread a fair amount of cooked peas over the meat AND
        HERE'S THE MAGIC!!!
        Grate a lot of good Swiss Cheese over the hot other ingredients...Stir all together 'til cheese is melting.......and enjoy!!!! The shells tend to hold some of the mix inside,too.

Believe me so many people over the decades have loved this all in one...all the food groups in one....and so tasty!!!!

All of us kids are now married, and we make this for all our families....it has been printed in several cookbooks, to which we have donated the recipe....
        If you give it a try...let me know what you think...I have many other pasta recipes where that came from....Mom collected them over the decades! But this Swiss pasta dish is a favorite!!!
        Lee

Now this is something my German-American stepdad will eat. thank you, Lee!!! I got another one for you, let me find it.

leethebard

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 2:41 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by NebGuy

quote:

Just in case you were going to ask me how I make it.
          I just kind of wing it but here is the basics.

1/4 cup olive oil
          1-1/2 tbls minced garlic
          6 minced anchovy fillets
          1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
          1-1/2 ls broccoli rabe
          1 lb orecchiette

Bring pasta water to a boil and add broccoli rabe. I only cook for a minute but if you like it softer cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe and when the water returns to a boil add the orecchiette and cook to your liking. Al dente for me.

Heat the olive oil and then add the garlic, anchovies, and red pepper and cook for a few minutes then add the broccoli rabe and mix well then add the drained orecchiette and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and maybe more red pepper depending on how spicy you like it. Sometimes I add some minced parsley at the end.

You can use less garlic and anchovies all depends on individual preference.

Don't forget a salad and some wine.

NebGuy,thanks so much..this sharing of pasta recipes is getting real enjoyable!!!!

stricken_detective

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 2:49 PM (permalink)
            Chicken Alfredo ala (one of the managers at my work):

1-2 jars alfredo sauce (he made his own)
            1 can diced tomatoes w/Italian seasonings, juice & all!
            1 red pepper, cut into strips
            1 green pepper, cut into strips
            1 box fresh mushrooms (8 or 16 oz, washed & sliced)
            chicken breast meat, cut into strips or chunks
            1 can black olives, drained well

Saute cut up chicken in LARGE frying pan, in a little olive oil. When chicken is half done, add vegetables. Saute another 5-10. In another big pot, heat alfredo sauce, then mix in tomatoes, juice & all & simmer slowly while cooking other ingredients. When chicken is fully cooked & vegetables are tender, transfer chicken mixture into sauce pot. At the VERY END, RIGHT before serving, mix in the black olives. They should be hot, but not cooked.

Serve over hot cooked pasta of your choice. He used fettucini I think. He made this for a cooking contest at work, he makes something good every year & this was especially good.

stricken_detective

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 3:30 PM (permalink)
              I saw Giada make this once, here is my version:

medium shell noodles, cooked
              frozen peas, thawed
              sundried tomato paste in the tube, 2-3 squirts
              olive oil
              spinach herb seasoning mix, optional
              parmesan
              red pepper flakes, optional

When done draining hot noodles, throw them back into the pan. Add the tomato paste & peas, mix well. Add whatever seasonings you want, then some olive oil--just a touch. Finish off w/cheese, mix & heat til cheese is gooey.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 08/16/08 3:48 PM (permalink)
                My joy would be one loaded w/ shellfish/ Lobster, clams, mussells, scallops, shrimp and maybe a little monk fish. That sounds like a dish Ill never see here at home. Our gormet itallian joins just arent seafood places like in the east. Even Chicago, hich is further from the coast has those high end seafood resturaunts but in Ohio we are being deprived. Cant some one open up a place and explore this need. Something more than Olive Garden seafood pasta with baby shrim, and scallops and a couple mussels in liason type sauce is at the edge of our envelope here.
                help!!!
                britt

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1491
                  RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 08/20/08 8:06 PM (permalink)
                  Lee,

I'm not sure cold dishes count here, but I make a shrimp/ditalini thingee that folks seem to like.

8 oz. ditalini
                  1 lb shrimp (cooked, tails cut off)
                  1 cup corn kernels

Cook the ditalini....add the shrimp and corn for the last 3 mins. Cool under cold water in a sieve

Add the following to that in a bowl:

1/2 cup Chili sauce
                  3 TBs Oil
                  1 TBS Horseradish Sauce (if you like it)
                  1/8 tsp Season Salt ( I use Lawry's)
                  6 drops of hot pepper sauce
                  1 cup slivered Radishes
                  3 Green onions, chopped

Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, stirring a few times

When ready to serve, add 1 avocado, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes and mixed with a TBS of vinegar, stir it all up and serve over lettuce leaves (your choice, but I like Romaine or Boston over Iceberg)

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1491
                    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 08/20/08 8:20 PM (permalink)
                    I also make a Hot Shrimp Creole to which I add Penne pasta. It's almost too easy to make (and yes, I could use clams instead but certain folks here prefer shrimp to clams, the heathens!)that I"m embarassed

for four servings:

20-24 medium shrimp, cooked, tails off
                    two "handfulls" penne cooked

one green pepper, chopped
                    one nice size Vidalia Onion chopped in BIG pieces
                    4 LARGE Kennett Square mushrooms (or elsewhere, but you want the kind that are about 3 inches across, sliced in 3/4" slices)
                    2 TBs oil

Saute the veg for about 5 mins in the oil. Not soft, but browned

Add:
                    1 can diced tomato (preferably with onion and garlic in it - if not add some garlic)
                    1 tsp Marjoram or Oregano
                    1/2 tsp thyme
                    1/2 cup Marsala wine ( the type you get in the condiment row at the supermarket is fine)
                    1/2 tsp pepper
                    TBS hot garlic sauce (this depends on tastes) or pepper sauce and garlic

let the veg simmer in the sauce for about 2 hours, add the shrimp and pasta and just heat through. Serve.

You can shut the sauce off if necessary and reheat later. Just hold off on the shrimp and pasta.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                      RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 08/20/08 8:46 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      It's on Fischer Blvd,near the end closer to rt.37. It's pretty well known..they serve their dishes in large serving bowls to each customer...portions just about no one can finish...they're famous for that...and at a very nice price...you get to take home another meal too!!!!Some great pasta combinations. Try the Chicken Monica with fettucini!
                      Here's their website...Enjoy!!!!!
                      http://www.rivolis.com/

Leethebard; Dearfolk,
                      It sounds as if trying to finish off an entire dinner there by oneself would be nearly as difficult as is navigating their website! Holy O Solo Mio, Batman! Everything popped in and out before I could read it!
                      The place sure sounds good, though. I'm up for pasta... pesto, especially... as soon as time and availability permit. Until then, I have to do with what I can buy at 2:15 A. M. -- breakfast, burgers, or whatever the all-night Kroger has available. Oh, for a home-cooked meal at about that time!
                      I'm Italian You Da Trut', Ort. Carlton in Athens, that Greek outpost of Georgia.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                        RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 08/20/08 9:05 PM (permalink)
                        Dearfolk,
                        As soon as time permits, I'm going to visit Copper Creek Brewing and have them create me something I've wanted to try for quite a while. I'll have the cook make a standard plate of pesto pasta and instead of adding the usual stuff: shrimp (as is on the menu) or blackened chicken (my personal preference), I'm going to have their homemade chili put on top of the pasto pasta. Now y'all don't shoot me, okay? I'm betting that it'll be quite good, especially with the addition of some finely chopped broccoli in the mix.
                        By the way, I don't think I can purchase broccoli rabe locally, which actually surprises me no end. Nor have I seen Sylvia's Collard Greens, but Glory's excellent products are ubiquitous.
                        No Pastafafoolingly, Ort. Carlton in Fagiolissimo Athens, Georgia.

leethebard

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 08/20/08 10:55 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
                          It's on Fischer Blvd,near the end closer to rt.37. It's pretty well known..they serve their dishes in large serving bowls to each customer...portions just about no one can finish...they're famous for that...and at a very nice price...you get to take home another meal too!!!!Some great pasta combinations. Try the Chicken Monica with fettucini!
                          Here's their website...Enjoy!!!!!
                          http://www.rivolis.com/

Leethebard; Dearfolk,
                          It sounds as if trying to finish off an entire dinner there by oneself would be nearly as difficult as is navigating their website! Holy O Solo Mio, Batman! Everything popped in and out before I could read it!
                          The place sure sounds good, though. I'm up for pasta... pesto, especially... as soon as time and availability permit. Until then, I have to do with what I can buy at 2:15 A. M. -- breakfast, burgers, or whatever the all-night Kroger has available. Oh, for a home-cooked meal at about that time!
                          I'm Italian You Da Trut', Ort. Carlton in Athens, that Greek outpost of Georgia.

Hi, Paison!!!

Dr. L.

• Total Posts: 35
                            RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 08/20/08 11:26 PM (permalink)
                            quote:

Now there's a great add in for pasta...sun dried tomatoes...gives the dish a great flavor!

Spagetti tossed with sun dried tomatoes and walnuts, and a little grated Parm. Simple, but intriguingly deliciouse.

leethebard

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Thu, 08/21/08 12:19 AM (permalink)
                              Walnuts would be good...or pine nuts,too!!

stricken_detective

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Fri, 09/5/08 11:40 PM (permalink)
                                I don't think it's weird, I think it's the laziest way I've ever done Shrimp Diablo, and you could probably call it Vodka Arrabiata alla Shrimps? I dunno. It was good & I had a touchy stomach this week so I shared & the girls @ work went NUTS for this.

What I Did For Lunch This Week by stricken_detective

1 jar vodka pasta sauce (I used imported)
                                1 bag frozen shrimps, thawed
                                less than 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
                                1 box whole wheat fusili

Soak shrimp to get iodine out. 15 minutes in ice & water. Drain & do it again twice. After 45 minutes, pull tails off & put into a small bowl to wait for their turn.

Cook pasta according to package directions, salt the water & cook for about 12 minutes. Drain.

Put hot pasta back in pot, pour the vodka sauce over the hot pasta & mix well. Stir in red pepper flakes, then add shrimp.

Serve hot with grated parmesan, romano or whatever you like, just make sure the pasta is hot so the cheese gets melty.

leethebard

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sat, 09/6/08 7:12 AM (permalink)
                                  Yes...this is a great idea...and sprinkling tjhe red pepper flakes is perfect...always adds that bit of spicy hot toasta!!! The vodka with shrimp sounds delicious!

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
                                    RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sun, 09/7/08 9:05 AM (permalink)
                                    It has been some years ago since we were in Nevada. The place I will mention may have changed but it used to have pretty good stuff that woould qualify as roadfood both in the restaurant and snack bar. I speak of the Golden Gate Casino - Hotel which is in downtown Las Vegas. Compared to places on the Strip and some downtown, it is modest, perhaps more frequented by locals and Nevadans. It was sometimes easy to imagine that you were in an older las Vegas and that the person next to you at the gambling table or machine was a sheep herder in town to kick back.

Golden Gate has gotten good write-ups for many years for their special shrimp cocktail which they sell for $0.99 in the snack bar. Ninety-nine cents. The snack bar also had good sanfwiches and a different soup daily.

The reason I'm writing this and in this thread is because of the really good cream of tortellini soup I had there one day. I ate several times at the original Binions nearby across the steet and their snack bar also had a following and some food bargains. But that soup was as nice a simple dish as I've had.

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sun, 09/7/08 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Pasta Timbale

White Sauce
                                      1/4 Cup Butter
                                      1/4 Cup A-P Flour
                                      3 Cups Milk

Pasta Bake
                                      1 Pound Spaghetti
                                      3/4 Cup Chopped Ham
                                      1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated
                                      1/2 Cup Emmenthaler or Gruyere Cheese, grated
                                      1/2 Cup Ricotta Cheese
                                      1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
                                      1/2 Cup Bread Cumbs
                                      Olive Oil

To make the white sauce:
                                      Melt Butter in a heavy saucepan, add the flour and stir until bubbly
                                      Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat stirring until thick about 12-15 minutes.
                                      Season with salt and pepper and set aside

To make the Pasta Bake:
                                      Cook the Spaghetti in boiling water until al dente. Drain and toss with half of the white sauce mix. Set aside, let cool completely
                                      Combine the ham and cheeses with the remaining white sauce and mix well set aside.
                                      Butter a 10 inch spring form pan. Dust with 1/4 cup of the bread crumbs
                                      When pasta is cool enough, wet your hands and line the prepared pan with three quarters of the pasta mixture, pressing against the bottom of the pan and up the sides of the pan
                                      Fill the center with the ham & cheese mixture, top with the remaining pasta mixture.
                                      sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs, drizzle with olive oil.
                                      Bake at 350 degrees for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown

Let cool for 15 minutes, remove sides of the pan and serve

Variations:
                                      Add sauted mushrooms to the ham and cheese mix
                                      Add sauted onions, peppers to the mixture

This dish was on the catering menu where I worked in College. I loved it when somebody chose it from the menu (all ways meant extras, which was good for a starving college student)

leethebard

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sun, 09/7/08 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                        Now this is very different,CajunKing...but putting it in a spring pan to mold it is unique...I bet it tastes different depending on whether you use the Swiss cheese or the Gruyere...each sounds very good!

analei

• Total Posts: 533
                                          RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Wed, 02/11/09 11:44 PM (permalink)
                                          Well, i am laughing here because the recipes here sounds really good and interesing, but here is my UNUSUAL contribution:

hot wide fettucine tossed with salsa con queso sauce, avocado, and wee bit of cilantro. Topped with some crisp bacon.

leethebard

RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Thu, 02/12/09 8:39 AM (permalink)
                                            Sounds quite good...Mexican Italian...interesting!!!!

rainyday6

• Total Posts: 98
                                              RE: The Most Unusual Pasta Dish??? Sun, 08/2/09 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                              This isn't by any means light or healthy, but... I sometimes cook some pasta and top it with one of those frozen chicken Kiev things (baked of course).  The garlic butter inside the chicken is the sauce for the pasta and then I sprinkle it all with parmesan cheese.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com