Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Rice is Nice

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 58 of 58
Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/4/04 3:03 PM (permalink)
I have had 4 rice cookers over the years, and the Zojirushi NHS-10HX 6-Cup Rice Cooker/Steamer is my favorite. I have given two a Christmas presents. It's a little more (list $69.99, but $49.99 on Amazon), but I swear by it -- rather than at it.

sauceman

• Total Posts: 184
    RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/4/04 4:30 PM (permalink)
    I could never embrace any diet that bans rice. I'm from the Upper South, but I prefer all my gravies, especially chicken and pork, over rice, not mashed potatoes, not biscuits, and certainly not light bread, a trick my wife pulled once in my presence, since she dislikes gravy over rice. Somehow, though, the marriage has survived.

Fred Sauceman
    Johnson City, Tennessee

Cakes

• Total Posts: 562
      RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/4/04 5:10 PM (permalink)
      Left over gravy on bread! One of my all time favorites!

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
        RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/4/04 5:13 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Cakes

No kidding! Gravy and sliced bread is right on time!(like rice too)I save my gravy when I fry chicken or chops and bring to work with me the next day with a couple of slices of bread, nuke the gravy and viola! instant breakfast/lunch!

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
          RE: Rice is Nice Thu, 02/5/04 5:24 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by Cakes

When I make gravy, I try to save some for a snack of gravy over toast or toasted biscuits. I learned that homemade biscuits are very good the next day, if split and toasted in a toaster oven. Place on a pan and lightly toast the top of the split biscuits.

Sundancer7

RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/6/04 4:30 PM (permalink)
            I enjoy about any gravy over rice, potatoes, french fries, any bread and especially East Tennessee Fried cornbread and about any meat that I serve and a lot of veggies.

My favorite gravy is
            1: Sausage
            2: Fried chicken
            3: Pork Chop (fried)
            4: Roast beef
            5: Meatloaf
            6: Red eye

Paul E. Smith
            Knoxville, TN

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/6/04 5:26 PM (permalink)
              Dearfolk,
              Now I've got that blasted song, "Rice Is Nice," playing on the involuntary jukebox in my head. Yaaaaah! Do y'all suppose shock treatments would help?
              Grainily, Ort. Carlton in Grey-But-Not-Gravy Athens, Georgia.

Sundancer7

RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/6/04 5:47 PM (permalink)
                I hate to get songs in my head. For some reason, they stay with you all day long.

Another thing that bothers me is that I like my gravy over rice better than potatoes.

There are more kinds of rice than I can imagine. I went to Krogers to get some rice to make some Sushi. I was informed that my rice I bought was not acceptable. I had to buy another kind that was sticky.

With my gravy, just plain white rice taste perfect.

Paul E. Smith
                knoxville, TN

sauceman

• Total Posts: 184
                  RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/11/04 4:48 PM (permalink)
                  Anyone ever tried Creole Rose rice from Louisiana? I've been using it for a couple of months and have been quite pleased with the results. Comes in an old-style cloth bag, too.

Fred Sauceman

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
                    RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/11/04 4:53 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by sauceman

Anyone ever tried Creole Rose rice from Louisiana? I've been using it for a couple of months and have been quite pleased with the results. Comes in an old-style cloth bag, too.

Fred Sauceman

I've been hooked on it for years. It's my favorite American grown rice.

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
                      RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 02/11/04 5:43 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by sauceman

Fred Sauceman

Fred, where do you obtain this rice. I saw cloth bags of rice in Sam's Club this week, but didn't look at them.

I buy the premium California medium grain rice used in my friend's Asian restaurant (in 50 lb. bags at his price). I use a lot of rice. I've been buying my rice through the restaurant for years, as everything white in grocery stores here is par boiled. My coop refuses to sell white rice, so plain white rice must be purchased from the Asian markets or somewhere like a Sam's club.

Who would have thought that white, unprocessed rice would be unavailable in the big Kroger stores of the Upper South?

Incidentally, one time the 50 lb. bag I picked up was different. The rice was grown in California, but packaged and sold by an Asian firm. I thought it tasted somehow different, but delicious, so I checked the bag, and sure enough, the rice kernals were coated with corn syrup.

My restaurant friend had decided to sample a bag (and got one for me), unawares of the sugar coating. Neither of us ever used that brand again, but it sure was good.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                        RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/4/05 2:23 PM (permalink)
                        We had rice last night, with Swiss Steak over the top. It got me to wondering whether I like rice or potatoes better as a side. I think it's whatever one is on my plate, but rice with a crem gravy is sure hard to beat.

cindyloo

• Total Posts: 123
                          RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/4/05 2:44 PM (permalink)
                          Until reading this topic today, it had never occurred to me to put gravy on rice. Huh.... learn something new every day. I've never seen it done. Riced potatoes with gravy, yes. But actual rice with gravy on it? That's a new one to me.

Cindy

1bbqboy

RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/4/05 4:26 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by cindyloo

Until reading this topic today, it had never occurred to me to put gravy on rice. Huh.... learn something new every day. I've never seen it done. Riced potatoes with gravy, yes. But actual rice with gravy on it? That's a new one to me.

Cindy

Oh my gosh, Cindy, We've had Pork chops and Rice with Cream Gravy about once a week

since I was a kid. Sometimes I make Rice with Steak and the Beef Broth gravy. A piece of white bread underneath the meat is mandatory to sop up the gravy of course. Our family's cooking heritage-Missouri & Texas- dictated that we almost always had rice with pork & potatoes with beef, both with gravy. Don't know why, it was just always that way.
                            Bill

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115

huntryce

• Total Posts: 115
                                RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/4/05 4:55 PM (permalink)
                                Whoops. Posted above before I was ready...

I bought this cooker for my Dad last year and he loves it. Use it on the stovetop. Of course you can steam veggies in it too.

It's a beautiful addition to your kitchen.

1bbqboy

RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 02/4/05 4:57 PM (permalink)
                                  Wow Huntryce, That whole website is really neat, as is the rice cooker.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                                    RE: Rice is Nice Mon, 02/28/05 2:26 PM (permalink)
                                    I bought 25# of brown rice at Jungle Jim's last week and having a bowl of it now. I just make it in the microwave. let me know if there is a better wy to make rice.
                                    I also bought some wild rice and some red rice which I have been unable to find locally. I'll probably save those for stir fried veggies.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                      RE: Rice is Nice Sat, 03/25/06 2:32 AM (permalink)
                                      I just got a new Oster food steamer and so far love it. Have to try rice in it.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                        RE: Rice is Nice Sat, 03/25/06 5:48 AM (permalink)
                                        My favorite ways with rice are: fried, sticky/sushi, pilaf, and pudding.

I just can't get behind plain white rice the way my husband can..

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                          RE: Rice is Nice Sat, 03/25/06 7:31 AM (permalink)
                                          I eat a ton of rice also, but just can't bring myself around to buy another gadjet for my kitchen. But there is a Chineese takey outie spot that I frequent with an open kitchen type concept and I noticed they use one. Maybe someone here will change my mind. The item I did buy though was a set of rice bowls, I like my rice hot and if just glopped on a plate it cools down pretty quickly, the bowls keep it nice and hot. Chow Jim

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                            RE: Rice is Nice Sat, 03/25/06 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                            I will usually opt for rice as a side dish if it is available when I eat out.
                                            When at home, I usually make yellow rice...I make a meal out of it: with stewed tomato's, mushrooms, onions and bell peppers in it. Sometimes corn.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                                              RE: Rice is Nice Wed, 03/29/06 6:28 PM (permalink)
                                              It's always been sort of a joke in our family - my parents met during WWII, my mother was from Texas, my dad from NOLA. The first time she cooked rice for him, she made it the way she grew up eating it, which was to cook it like oatmeal with butter and sugar on it. We enjoyed it that way as kids, but never watched how it was made. Can someone describe this method with the rice to water ratio?

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                                RE: Rice is Nice Thu, 03/30/06 5:09 AM (permalink)
                                                2 parts water 1 part rice. Chow Jim

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                                                  RE: Rice is Nice Thu, 03/30/06 1:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  Thanks Jim, I'll try it.

roossy90

RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 03/31/06 3:32 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by Jimeats

2 parts water 1 part rice. Chow Jim

And dont peek.. never lift the lid when cooking rice!

roossy90

RE: Rice is Nice Fri, 03/31/06 3:35 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by BelleReve

It's always been sort of a joke in our family - my parents met during WWII, my mother was from Texas, my dad from NOLA. The first time she cooked rice for him, she made it the way she grew up eating it, which was to cook it like oatmeal with butter and sugar on it. We enjoyed it that way as kids, but never watched how it was made. Can someone describe this method with the rice to water ratio?

Not to get off subject, but my dad and I enjoyed it just like eating oatmeal also. No sugar though..
                                                      Some milk and salt and butter...
                                                      A big dish of rice for dinner....
                                                      Oh, I miss him...

Sonny Funzio

• Total Posts: 902
                                                        RE: Rice is Nice Sun, 04/2/06 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm big on anything gravy can be poured over. I like pot liquor seasoned and thickened with a bit of corn starch and poured over stuff too.

Speaking of rice for dinner ...
                                                        Last year (2004) I went to a "chinese gift giving" party at a friends house around Christmas. I managed to provide the biggest buzz prior to the rounds of gift opening by providing a carefully wrapped 50lb bag of rice as my contribution. (The fact that I put it in a Sony television box for those that couldn't keep their fingers from the gifts made it even more popular)
                                                        The hostess, who retained the final choice in the gift-giving ceremonies for herself, selected that gift ... and I ended up with a never-ending stream of invitations to dinner last year all centered around rice (and delicious I might add :-)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 58 of 58

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                          • No New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                          • Read Message
                                                          • Post New Thread
                                                          • Reply to message
                                                          • Post New Poll
                                                          • Submit Vote
                                                          • Post reward post
                                                          • Delete my own posts
                                                          • Delete my own threads
                                                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com